Chapter 34: The Return (1/2)

"Dad?"

"Dad?"

The golden eyes flicked over to settle on his son; he hadn't noticed the dragon's presence enough to identify Stolvir. Then his face softened slightly. Ares, the father, not the outcast, was there for just a moment. Then nothing, hardness in his eyes again.

"Your job is done, you can go," he snapped at Senga, who jerked as if shaken from a daze. "Return to your cave and speak to no one."

The smaller dragon nodded quickly and dashed off, not meeting my eyes. He must have told Ares that something was amiss. I ground my teeth in silent anger.

Ares swept a cold gaze over his son. "Yes, Stolvir, it's me." His voice was low, even. "I didn't expect to see you here, however."

"Ayreth is my friend," Stolvir said. "We just wanted to talk to him."

Ares growled, bladed tail scraping dryly on the earth. "Yes, just talk? Is that all? Not trying to run him off back to that precious little clan of yours?"

Ferenor was pressed up close to me. I felt quick breaths through his side, a quick heartbeat too. "Please," I spoke up. "I joined you of my own free will, let me choose what I want to do."

I was unprepared for the severity of the glare. Disgust and menace poured from Ares like waves of heat from a fire. "Have you forgotten everything I told you?"

"N-no, I didn't. I'm just not made for violence, after all. I think if we have any chance of making this world a better place for dragons, it won't be through fighting."

"I have an idea," Stolvir said privately to Tenaya and me.

"Well, do something!" Tenaya said.

"You have to trust me."

I did trust him, but there was an edge to his spirit, something reckless. Yet we had no time to react; the green dragon was already speaking.

"Let him go, Dad." The words were clear and unafraid. Stolvir stepped out in front of us, moving closer to Ares. "If you let him go, I'll go with you." He stared down his father, almost challenging him with his gaze.

Ares looked taken aback, yet still managed to be fearsome. He bared his teeth in a lethal smile. "Really?" There was even a hint of amusement to his voice. "You think I'll just let you take Ayreth's place?"

Stolvir said nothing else, neither did any of us. Tenaya's athka radiated a vulnerability I had not known her to possess. Stolvir was like a brother to her. My spirit met hers, not trying to calm her but simply sharing the moment, not wanting her to feel alone. I didn't want this either. Stolvir had no idea what he was walking into.

"What would Mom think?" he said. "About all of this?"

"Don't lecture me about her!" Ares thundered, talons furrowing the earth beneath his paws, tail lashing. "You don't know what you're talking about. You don't know the world as it really is."