Chapter 19: Left Unsaid (3/3)

A feeling passed over me. It was fleeting and hard to describe. I would say it felt similar to seeing a shadow of someone approaching in the corner of my eye, but it took place entirely within my mind. A presence brushed against the edge of my awareness. It was warm, friendly. Then it spoke.

"Come to the river. I will wait for you there."

The voice in my head was familiar. It was Rofar. He said no more words, but his athka remained at the periphery of my mind, hovering like a vague thought that I couldn't quite pin down. Although I had experienced this kind of spiritual communication with Ares the previous night, it still threw me a little. I wasn't used to this mental connection; the other dragon's presence made me a little dizzy. Still, I had my instructions, so I set out to meet him.

I stepped out of the backyard and into the forest, feeling like I was crossing a definite line between two worlds. The world of humanity was behind me, and I would not return to it for some time. My front legs felt the earth's coolness once more, reminding me how comfortable I was on all fours. If I imagined myself trying to fit in with the other dragons, this would be the only way to walk. Butterflies started up in my stomach, an unwelcome reminder of how nervous I really was. I didn't look back, though. My eyes were focused directly ahead, betraying nothing. I followed the straightest line that would lead me to the river, my awareness of Rofar getting slightly stronger as I went along. I didn't really know how to discern the direction of a nearby dragon's athka, but I had a sense I was getting closer.

A few minutes later, I emerged into the ribbon of river-cut land carved from the forest. The sunset burned a bold rainbow of hues across the sky. Bit by bit, the horizon's warm orange bled into a delicate lavender overhead as the colors painted the evening sky. I figured the particles of ash from the volcano had something to do with the dazzling display. At least there was some beauty in the eruption, not just bad omens.

Rofar stood a few paces downriver, beneath the shadowy cover of the trees. It was the first time I had ever seen him outside a dream, and, even in the shadows, his scales practically glowed with rich, blue colors. I saw in his posture not a single trace of unease; the dragon looked as calm and casual as if we were old friends meeting for a coffee. He took a few graceful strides toward me, dipping his head slightly as he approached. As he did this, his spirit radiated a wave of cordial energy into mine that actually put me more at ease. "Good evening, Ayreth," he said. "It is good to see you again." The dragon's words were as smooth and peaceful as any stream that fed the river.

"You, too," I replied. "I'm, uh...I guess I'm ready to go."

"Excellent. It is a rather long journey to return to the clan, but it will give us time to talk."

"Aren't you worried about being seen? Or, what about my spirit? Can you keep Ares from following me?"

"Do not worry. These are things that are quite easily taken care of with magic. I can make the preparations right now, if you give me a moment." He closed his eyes and became very still. I looked down at my paws, not sure of what I would see or feel. There was a slight tingling at the base of my neck, but otherwise, I felt no different. After a moment, Rofar flicked his tail and gave his head a gentle shake as he revealed his azure stare once more.

"Now we are invisible to human eyes. And I have placed a temporary concealment on your athka. Only I will be able to communicate with you."

"Good, thanks. So, how long will it take to get there? And what are we going to talk about?"

"All in good time, young one," the blue dragon stated with a hint of amusement. "Are you sure there is nothing else you need before we take off?"

"Anything else I need?" I asked myself. Even the few possessions I brought from home were back in the little woodshed. They had no place in the clan, and were of no use to me now. The only thing to bring was myself, a mostly empty vessel ready to be filled with new knowledge. "I don't think so. I'll just follow your lead."

"Very well, then. Come, Ayreth; let us fly."

Rofar's wings rose fluidly from his back as he turned away from me. His sturdy paws drew a dull, rasping noise from the stony riverbank as he took a single, running bound. Then, the blue beast muscled his way into the air with expert wingbeats. The river provided a clear path to climb, and Rofar was suddenly bathed in amber light as he rose above the trees.

I didn't hesitate before following him. My ascent may have been a little less skilled, but I soon reacquainted myself with the liberating tenor of flight. A smile played across my muzzle. Rushing to catch up with Rofar, I thought, "I have no personal belongings, no knowledge of dragon life, and no idea where we're even going. This should be an interesting adventure." I had so many questions. As the forest below receded into a dark, rolling fabric, I tried to sort out my feelings. The butterflies were still there, but I now focused on a deeper emotion that flowed beneath the surface: hope.

The sky in front of us was laced with thin clouds. I looked back, craning my head to see what I was leaving behind. In the distance, I saw the smoky pillar still rising from the active volcano. It was black, so black and so tall. I was just happy we were going in the other direction. Turning back around, that sight was forgotten as I saw my companion soaring majestically beside me.

Rofar wasn't even looking at me, but I could see the contentment in his eyes and in the corners of his mouth. When he noticed my gaze after a moment, he broke into a grin. A full, broad, squinted-eye smile, which I gladly returned. "Yes," I thought, "I will choose hope." As the sun slipped lower, the two of us steadily gained elevation. If I could have frozen that moment, it would have felt to me like there was nothing wrong in the whole world. All the chaos was far below us. Up where the dragons soared, every wingbeat was enveloped in calm. I held the impossible wish in my mind that it could last forever. Of course, I knew that every flight must come to an end, but I resolved to enjoy this one for as long as I could.

If you are enjoying this story, please consider leaving a vote or comment to tell me your thoughts! I really appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you for reading!