Chapter 21: Into the Valley (1/3)

My talons dug into the cool earth with great satisfaction after spending so long in the air

My talons dug into the cool earth with great satisfaction after spending so long in the air. I stood with my eyes closed for a moment, anchoring myself in this new place. The sounds and smells washed over me. I heard the river's constant flow, the singing of birds. A breeze swirled gently around me, carrying scents of grass and leaves. Inhaling deeply, I could almost taste the untamed, unmistakable life-force of this land.

"I can't believe I'm actually here," I said aloud, immediately a little embarrassed at voicing such a simple observation.

Rofar chuckled. "I won't blame you for being a bit excited," he said. "Even I feel a rush each time I return. This is a special place."

He was surely right about that. I couldn't wait to explore this pristine valley that held all manner of supposedly impossible things. This was a land of dragons and magic. Things that I once considered completely outside the realm of this world. It was amazing how much could change in just ten days. The blue dragon beside me was now a familiar face, and magic was something that I could accept without a second glance.

"Perhaps we can take a walk later so you can look around." Rofar took a few steps and looked around at me expectantly. "But right now there's one individual you need to see before anyone else."

"Okay, sure," I said, a little nervous about the prospect of actually meeting new dragons. I had never been very good at talking to strangers.

As we walked, I quickly took in my surroundings. We had moved out of the clearing and were now under cover of massive trees. The ancient columns towered overhead as if we were standing in a great cathedral. The forest floor was a soft bed of pine needles spread across the hard-packed earth. I could see a small hill up ahead, and I tagged along behind the blue dragon as we ascended the slope. When we crested the top, I got my first glimpse of the dragon village.

The first thing that struck me was also the most obvious. Dragons. Large and small. Almost every color of the rainbow could be found on these creatures. I also took in a range of unfamiliar scents. I guessed that I must be smelling the dragons themselves. It wasn't pleasant or unpleasant—just different. While I was overwhelmed by all the sensory stimuli, they all looked to be casually going about their business. I was obviously the only one who found the whole thing quite extraordinary.

"Come, Ayreth." The words shook me out of my trance. I had stopped without realizing it, and Rofar called to me from a few paces away.

I bounded up to him, looking sheepish. The older dragon didn't seem impatient; rather he wore an expression of amused understanding. I kept to his side as we made our way among the trees.

Besides the dragons, the other thing I noticed was their village. I didn't quite know what I had been expecting, but the forest floor was dotted with timber buildings of all shapes and sizes. The sturdy structures seemed to rise out of the ground like part of the forest itself.

"I always kinda assumed that dragons lived in caves or something," I whispered to Rofar as we padded along.

The older dragon gave a rumbling laugh and shook his head. "Is it not what you expected the village to look like? We have made many advancements, even while carving out a remote existence. You might recognize a few things around here. We have houses, workshops, a great hall for feasts and special occasions. There are spaces for eating, sleeping, and even playing. I think you will find it to be a rather orderly society."

He kept leading me farther into the village, where we came upon a huge edifice. The front of this building faced a large clearing in the forest, allowing sunlight to brighten the entrance. It towered over me, flanked by two massive trees about fifty feet apart that formed the corners of the front face. The exterior was constructed of stacked wooden slabs that looked themselves to be the size of small trees. I was sure this was the great hall, and it stood over five stories tall with darkened wood doors that rose to half that height. As we approached the doors, I could see white handles on each one that appeared to be carved from solid pieces of stone.

Rofar stopped just short of the entrance and turned to me, making a soft, throat-clearing sound. I quickly tore my eyes from the building and looked at the other dragon.

"This, as you maybe can guess, is our great hall," he said. "Inside is the leader of our clan, a dragon named Uldor. It's very important to show respect when in front of elders so I will advise you not to speak unless he speaks to you. Although, I expect you'll find him a little—how should I put this—formidable. Most dragons who meet him feel compelled to measure their words."

"Noted," I said, feeling uneasy at Rofar's description.

"Ah, don't worry. He's not hostile, not to those in his clan at any rate. He's just a little...serious, that's all. Whatever he may say to you, simply answer honestly and respectfully. You'll be fine. Alright, let's go in."

He strode over to one of the doors and lifted the latch with his nose. Shouldering it open, he motioned with his head for me to enter before following close on my tail. The closing door raised a thud that echoed in the otherwise silent hall.

I looked out over the interior and was surprised by the ornate craftsmanship on display. Two lines of tree-sized timber columns ran the length of the room, each one carved with meticulous depictions of stately dragons, as well as animals and landscapes. Fires burned in stone basins set on pedestals against the walls, adding to the natural light that entered through openings high up on the side and back walls. The floor was made of smooth stone tiles, laid out in beautiful, complex patterns.

At the end of the long hall, there was a raised, circular platform. On it was a large dragon. He lay on piles of animal skins, paws neatly folded in front of him. This imposing creature looked like no other I had seen before. Fully half again larger than me or my companion, Uldor was unmistakably the one in charge. White scales covered most of his body, save the light gray plates that ran along his front. The dragon's age was apparent in the marks and scars gave his body a weathered look. From what I could see, his wing membranes were crisscrossed with more scars and even had a few holes. But his ageless eyes were sharp and black as obsidian.

I followed Rofar as we walked down the middle of the hall. Instinctively, I gave a tiny sniff to inhale the dragon's scent. What I smelled was subtle yet crisp, like rain, layered with an electricity that made my spine tingle.

Examining his head, I took in the impressive sight as we moved closer. Two sets of pure white horns crowned his skull. The top set was longer, thicker, and mostly straight. Right below those were smaller horns that curved slightly down and outward. More white spikes ran down the side of his head and along his lower jaw. I also saw a sail-like crest running down the old dragon's neck. The length of his tail was lined with even more white spikes, most blunted and some obviously broken. I assessed the white dragon's bearing to be as regal and solid as a statue. The spectacle of this noble beast made my breath catch in my throat.

"Hwia, ados abhya," he boomed as we approached. "Greetings, my friend."

His deep voice resonated with power. I stopped, letting Rofar get a few paces closer to the platform. My mouth went dry as I felt tiny and pathetic compared to Uldor's commanding aura.

"Shuryth tyuska," the blue dragon replied, head bowed in respect. "Great leader."

The clan leader regarded me with interest as I studied the tiles, too nervous to look right at him. "Ah, the new presence. This is why you have come to see me, Rofar?" the white dragon said.

"Yes, I have returned with the new dragon, who has come to learn from the clan."

"Come closer, young one. Tell me your name."

If you are enjoying this story, please consider leaving a vote or comment to tell me your thoughts! I really appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you for reading!