Chapter 21: Into the Valley (2/3)

I forced my body to step forward. It felt like I was wading through mud as I approached the spot where Rofar stood. Hastily, I dropped my gaze to look at the floor and bowed, saying, "My name is Ayreth, great leader."

After a few seconds, I still heard no response. I glanced upward, curious to see what Uldor was doing. The elder dragon had closed his eyes and raised his head high. He opened his jaws a fraction, showing his teeth, and I watched as he exhaled a stream of mist from his maw. A great cloud of white expanded above our heads, and I felt a chill sinking over me. Snowflakes began to sprinkle from his ice-breath, swirling around like flies. A moment later he stopped and opened his eyes once more, staring right at me.

"Winter is coming, Ayreth," he declared. "Seasons change. Time brings about new things, sometimes as predictable as the moon, other times as chaotic as the weather. Yet, I can no more hold back the passage of time than pluck the stars from the night sky. As you stand here before me, it may be that fate has intertwined your path with our kind. So, young one, when I gaze upon your spirit, will I see you as part of the present and future clan?"

I was still as a statue, eyes locked with the elder dragon's. My muscles wouldn't respond. I tried to look at Rofar for help but failed. I could feel Uldor's athka extending toward me. His presence was cold and inscrutable, like a slab of smooth stone. Feeling a need to end my dumb silence, I replied as evenly as I could, "You will see what you see, great leader. I have nothing to hide."

The black eyes stared unblinking into mine, and the chill intensified as I felt the white dragon's spirit join with mine. Uldor's athka seemed to possess almost limitless depth. I felt like I was suspended above the glassy surface of a bottomless pool of knowledge. Still, I did not flinch.

"Interesting," he remarked mildly as he withdrew the expanse of his spirit. For what seemed like forever, he said nothing else, staring off into space. "Tonight, we will have a feast in honor of our guest. See that it will be done, Rofar. Now, you may leave."

Rofar bowed his head once more, starting to retreat from the platform. "Certainly. I will see to it."

I bowed and followed him out of the hall, our claws clicking loudly on the stone. As we reached the doors, I looked over my shoulder. The white dragon's black eyes were fixed on me. Hastily looking away, I slipped out the door and waited for Rofar to join me outside.

"I have no idea what to make of him," I admitted as soon as the door closed behind us.

"All of us in the clan know he can be a little dramatic," Rofar said as he started walking away toward another part of the village. "Mysterious as well. However, his wisdom has guided our clan for generations. Don't worry, you did just fine. I think he liked you."

"I didn't know what else to say. You were right, he's, uh, he's pretty intimidating."

We dipped back under the shadow of the canopy as we left the clearing. Rofar continued, "Uldor has been a very capable leader for a long time. Nobody quite knows exactly how old he is, but it's at least one hundred and twenty years."

"Wow," I breathed.

"He's been in charge all my life. Still as strong and sharp now as he's ever been. I've never met anyone as adept at magic as he is. But you will have to settle for me as your teacher." He smiled lightly.

"You've done well to help me so far," I said. "I was wondering, is Uldor in charge of this whole valley?"

The blue dragon shook his head. "He is only the leader of our clan. There are five dragon clans in all that reside in this valley and the surrounding lands, each with its own leader. The other four are much like this one, except we are the only group that welcomes tsoävryn."

"What are tsoävryn?" I asked.

"Ah, this is one of those new words that you have to learn. Tsoävr is the term for a human who has transformed into a dragon. Like you."

"I see. Why is there another word for that? Aren't I a dragon just like you?"

"Of course you are, yes," he said quickly. "There's really no difference. It's just used when specificity is needed."

"So, this clan has others like me?"

"Indeed. My mate, Nyraz, like I told you before. There are also a couple more, but none nearly as young as you. It's a rare thing, you see." Rofar paused and then seemed to remember something. "Before we arrive, there's one last thing I should tell you. Remember how I said Ares had a son named Stolvir who lives in the clan?"

"Yes," I replied.

"He lives with my family. After what happened to his mother and father, Nyraz and I decided to adopt him. I was very close with Eyliana, and I wanted to provide a real home for him. Although he knows what happened to his parents, Stolvir is happy to be called our son and be part of our family. Luckily, he doesn't remember much of what happened. It's not something he likes to talk about, but otherwise, he is living a pretty normal life. I just wanted to inform you of this before you meet him and the others."

"I see, thanks," I said. Nestled among a cluster of trees up ahead, I could see another building. A low, broad structure, this one was built around thick trees, and the walls were covered in green foliage. "Is that your house?" I asked.

My companion sighed lovingly. "My mate and I built it after we pledged our union. It's not much, but it's ours—a perfect home in my eyes."

"You built that? It looks really nice."

Rofar let out a little rumble of thanks. Soon we were at the door, where I smelled the pleasant, mossy aroma of the forest practically seeping from the walls. Rofar used the tip of his snout to push the latch up, opening the door and then padding inside. Following behind, I entered the simple dwelling.

If you are enjoying this story, please consider leaving a vote or comment to tell me your thoughts! I really appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you for reading!