Chapter Fifty

Space separates us, but it's not enough. There will never be a quantifiable unit of measurement for how much space I need away from him. Of the space we do have, it's clear that he can close it in a few bounding steps. I just hope in his intoxicated state, that I have enough time to move. Those swaying movements he makes every time he tries to right himself tell me enough—if I can time this right then I'll be able to make a break for it.

     I realize then that everything that I am has been for this one single moment. This is either my final chapter, or just the lead-on to the second act of my life. And I pray that it's the latter because I'll admit it, I'm not ready to die just yet.

     The moment between us passes, leaving us both motionless. Neither one of us is prepared to make the first move. If I jump into action, then it gives him a reason to chase. If he starts coming for me, then it's all the excuse I need to make a run for it. Whilst his eyes are glazed over, there's a cold, calculating look behind them that tells me everything I need to know. And the message projects loud and clear.

     You will not escape me.

     "Put the phone down," he demands, his voice a low growl. Just to show that he's not playing around, he shows off a set of snarling slightly-yellowed teeth. But he doesn't move. The entire weight of his body is slung against the doorframe.

     I don't respond. Hell, I don't even follow through with what he's asking of me. There's a soft made ukulele ballad of some sort playing in my ear, and I can tell Xavier hasn't hung up. Like always, he's still there when I need him the most. Even in this darkest hour, he stands true to any promise he made.

     A low and sudden breath leaves my lungs.

     This is my opportunity. I cannot, will not, let anything hold me back.

     In one quick scrambling step, I reached down for the duffle and pushed myself off the bed. Heavy footsteps gave him away, but right now I still had the advantage of being at the other side of the bed. The curtains blew softly against the night air at first, before completely folding to the change in pressure as the window opened fully.

     His hand reached out and scuffed against my leg, trying to pull me back. Fortunately he had missed, and it was the only sign I had that things were supposed to be this way.

     I didn't stop for him, or for anyone. My feet bounced as they hit against the window sill, sending me careening over the small ledge outside onto the cold, hard ground. In spite of bracing for the fall, everything hurt. With adrenaline pumping through my veins, I somehow managed to get up relatively quickly and scramble forward a few more meters before rising to my feet. A hard thump, behind me told me that I probably only had a few feet on him.

     Every step I took was filled with a desire to break free, whilst every step he took was merely to hunt me down.

     I continued forward, soon reaching the sidewalk and hearing that relentless thud as my sneakers hit asphalt. My chest was practically heaving, begging me to slow down a little so that it could catch a breath. But I couldn't do that; if I stopped now it was going to be a complete game over.

     Truth be told, I couldn't even tell you how far I made it. A mile? A thousand feet? Ten feet? However far I made it, I knew that it was never enough when I felt my body crash against the pavement. 

     A mixture of weariness and exhaustion had caused me to slip up—both figuratively and literally. The ground was cool against my face, and for a few moments I forgot why I was even on the ground in the first place. Clarity had struck me in such a weird way that nothing else in that one specific moment seemed to matter to me