|14

Cotillion part 3/4

     EVERYONE HAD MADE THEIR WAY to the top deck just in time for Prince Ben to appear

EVERYONE HAD MADE THEIR WAY to the top deck just in time for Prince Ben to appear. An uproar of applause of music guaranteed that the entire world would remain awake. Ben waved to us all as he struggled to remain calm. Warm spotlights lit up his face as immense pressure began to build up. The ceremonious music died to a low hum as he had our undivided attention.

He decided to join his guests at the bottom of the stairs. One by one, every prince shook Ben's hand, and as very princess bowed before him. In between greetings, he glanced around for Mal and began to accept her decision.

     Remaining away from the crowd, Harry wrapped his arms around my waist from behind. Since he was much taller than me, he rested his chin on my shoulder. There was a stillness in the air. The ocean seemed to fall still as everyone's hearts sank.

     Ben looked over towards Harry and I. His face was unreadable — I didn't know what to expect from him. He was emotionally vulnerable, and we didn't know how he'd feel about Harry being here.

     He made his way over to us, his brows furrowed beneath his hair. His gaze was locked upon Harry, and it was as if I wasn't even there.

      "It was nice of you to join us tonight, Harry." Ben deadpanned, lacking enthusiasm and genuine care. He was trying to be polite in front of the kingdom but it wasn't easy for him. There was a sense of emerging hostility between the two, seeing as Harry returned Ben's threatening gaze. The entire yacht fell silent; there was no music or voices. I held onto every word, not sure what was to come next.

     I was bracing for a fight to break out, but Ben knew better. I couldn't speak for Harry. He didn't have to worry about disappointing anyone or ruining friendships; he had no public He looked around him and met hundreds of troubled eyes. Clearing his throat, he adjusted his suit and asked, "Have you spoken to Mal recently? I know she returned to the Isle, and I'd like to know why." Ben challenged. His parents emerged from the crowd, ready to protect their son.

     All eyes were on Harry. I felt his fingers lace with mine and he squeezed it tightly. Harry shook his head. "No, I'm sorry. Haven't seen her." His rolled smoothly off his tongue as if rehearsed. Ben scoffed, shaking his head not only to Harry, but to his guests. I couldn't imagine how Harry felt.

     He insinuated that Harry was responsible for Mal leaving, or that he knew something we didn't. I looked to Harry as if asking are you okay? He nodded reassuringly, rubbing my upper back with his hand. He wasn't the one I needed to worry about.

     This was unlike Ben. He usually had a soft side for VKs, but I guess his generosity has limits. Mal likely told him of her past with Harry, and made him out to be a terrible person. I had my ideas as to why...

     Tense moments passed before an amplified voice alerted, "Ladies and gentleman, please welcome the future queen of Auradon... Mal." Everyone turned their heads to the stairway as Mal walked out. It was the first time anyone had seen her in days. A mutual sigh escaped the mouths of the entire party.