Big Things Have Small Beginings

Big things, had small beginings.
And luckily, David was now holding the smallest living being he had ever seen. The large of his hand, and the lung capacity of 30'1 decibels.
Amazing.
"Is it human?" Dr. Elizabeth Shaw asked, between gasps.
"Yes" it was only half a lie, after all. Not 100% human, rather 85%. He wondered how the other 15% would manifest. And he thought it would be better if the percentage was the other way round, like the other fetus. But Elizabeth didn't need to know that. This would be one of the rare occasions in which ignorance would come in handy. "Yes, she is"
"She?"
He hummed affirmatively, placing the newborn in her mother's arms "You have a healthy daughter"
She smiled tiredly "Hello There"
The baby quieted at the sound of her voice.
"I wish your dad was here to meet you"
David was about to tell her she was wrong, that Holloway had nothing to do with it, but he knew better than to spoil the moment.
"How should I name you, huh?" Elizabeth cooed.
"If I may, I have a suggeation"
She looked up at him
"Since our mission was the Prometheus, a Titan from Greek mythology, maybe a Greek name would be appropiate"
"Good idea. I've always liked the myth of how Elios (the Sun) and Gea (The Earth) fell in love. Besides, it's my homeplanet"
David smiled, eyes still fixed on the child, as he watched how Elizabeth unbuttoned her shirt to breastfeed her "Gea it is, then. I'll leave You while I clean the floor. Call me if You need me"
David came back to find both mother and daughter asleep. The knowledge he'd obtained from the movies dictated to clean the babe up. So, he leaned in and slid his hands under the newborn's body, minding the head, just as everyone always did in films. She was so tiny and fragile, he feared hurting her.
Then the rythm of her breathing changed and her eyes opened.
Grey.
Undefined.
Unexpert
Defenseless.
Trustful.
He found himself smiling. This innocent child was at his mercy, and she didn't realize how much danger this world had. He could have killed her right then and there, and she wouldn't hold it against him.
But he wasn't going to. No. Even he had a strong ethic about murdering children. First, There was no reason to do so.
Well, she was human.
Then again, not at full.
Besides, she didn't have any influence from humanity to corrupt her yet. Hopefully she never would. Only Elizabeth's. One not-too-bad human being he could handle.
Immersed in his thoughts as he was, he was brought back to reality by a warm liquid wetting the arm he supported her back with.
He frowned slighty.
The grey eyes were still fixated on his blue ones.
He walked to the washbasin he had ready, and knelt down.
"Careful, do not let her go" Elizabeth said behind him.
"Don't worry"
"Come closer, please David. I wanna see"
"It is normal you monitor me, but you've just got through a 46 hours labour. You should rest"
"It's not... I trust you, David. I do not question Your efficacy. But I just want to have the memory of my daughter's first bath"
"Oh, of corurse Dr.Shaw. Pardon me, I should have remembered the importance of children's Firsts to parents" he got up again, while considering how to carry the basin without leting the child go.
"You can help to secure her gently pressing her against your chest" Elizabeth suggested, guessing his thought
"I do not wish to make her uncomfortable with such... Contact"
She laughed "David... She's a baby. She won't be bothered by it. In fact, she needs physical contact, and cuddles, and closeness"
He had only seen one real child before, and that had been Meredith Weyland.
Yet, the Weyland family had never been fond of physical contact, not even at three years old.
And David had never seen Mr.Weyland hold her, or stand less than 10 inches apart from her.
He had always been a strict father. A cold father.
And she had always been a cold daughter. A strict person.
But Elizabeth's father didn't seem a cold father, and so Elizabeth would be a kind, loving mother. And David would be a kind caretaker. And loving too, if he could love.
So, slowly, he bent his right arm so her body rested between his chest and his arms, and the child instinctively settled, her head on the space between his neck and shoulder.
Then he dragged the basin closer to Elizabeth, who smiled
"Thank you, David. I don't know what I could have done without you"
He grinned, kneeling down "Likewise. I literally would have lost my head"
The baby let out a cry as soon as he detached her from his body, which startled him. He looked at Elizabeth
"Don't panick. She was just comfortable There"
"Do You mean she liked that proximity with me?" He couldn't hide his surprise
"Yes, of course. She likes you, David"
He looked down at the child, squirming in his arms, unable to help a small smile.

When he had washed her, he took off his shirt to wrap her up in it.
"I don't actually need it, right? I think we're past the stage of << Human needs>>" he explained, while giving her back to Elizabeth, who nodded
"That's very kind of you"

Days went by, Gea changing a slight bit each, and setting a routine, Elizabeth and David adjusting to it.
The android was enchanted by the infant. Maybe because ge hadn't seen one before, maybe because he had been involved with her existence from the begining, maybe because, despite being human, she was, indeed, fascinating.
He liked the thought of being a strong presence on her upbringing.
He had found out she had a different cry for each need, which allowed him to easily tell what he was called for.
Elizabeth didn't distinguish them yet, which made her rely on David.

On the 3rd night, David heard her struggling below the cries
He grinned "I believe she needs a change"
"Urghhhh!" She groaned.
"Dr.Shaw, you should calm down. It distresses her farther"
"I've been awake all night! She's been keeping me awake for 3 straight days!"
The cries went louder, amd David held out his arms "I'll take care of it"
"But You know nothing about babies"
"Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither do you, doctor"
"But I am human, and that's what instincts are for. I doubt you have insticts at all"
"Quite right, ma'am. Yet, I do have eyes to see -or rather observe- and it looks like she's comfortable around me. But, most of all, I am willing to learn."
"I don't doubt it, David. It's just.."
"In the 3 days she's been alive I've noticed she prefers to be held upright, and there's a slight difference on the cry, depending on the need"
"Oh, really?"
He nodded "I can handle it. I've seen you doing it. Then I'll take her so you can sleep. You've earned it"
She hesitated, before finally handing the bundle over.
He gladly accepted her and walked over the towel where he had seen Elizabeth change her.
He laid her down with great care, knelt down, and imitated each and every one of Elizabeth's movements.
She sighed "I can't believe it. This is the first time you ever do it, and you've done it perfectly"
"Is that bad? You seem bothered" he picked Gea up again, upright, like she liked. She had calmed down, her wails reduced to whimpers.
"No, no. It's just... I feel unept. I mean, I haven't got to do it without making a mess"
"Well, practice makes perfect Dr.Shaw" he stood up "Even if that phrase can't be applied to me" he grinned
Elizabeth grinned back, tiredly. David detached the babe from his chest,  but she began to cry. He froze, unsure of what to do.
"Take her. I could definetly do with some sleep"