(Un)free Will

2 years later

"Urghhh!! I'll never get it right!"
"C'mon dear. Don't get frustrated. You did it quite well"
"Quite well?!" Gea repeated her father's words "It's not supposed to be 'Quite Well' it's supposed to be perfect!"
"It'll be, my child. Eventually" David circled the piano and sat in the stool next to her.
They stayed silent for a while, staring at the sheet wich contained a variation of Bethoveen's <<Ode To Joy>>. Gea barely looked at the sheet anymore, she knew the notes by heart already.
"It's the tempo. It's always the tempo. I can't keep it ip"
He ran a hand through her back "I know. It happened with the <<Cannon in D>> as well. But you got it. You'll get this one as well"
She sighed.
"Hey, how does a match sound like?" He suggested; a distraction from music would do her good.
"Sounds nice"
"I'll be kind this time. You can get the thruster shoes this time" he got up, and she followed
"Yay!"
"But" he paused dramatically, raising a finger "you can't be up all the time you have the ball"
"Oww"
"And I won't ride away when I have it" he helped her into the shoes, and grabbed the bike
"Nope." She smirked, picking the ball "Cos you'll be too busy chasing me!" She jumped, switching the shoes on, and disappeared quickly by a corridor.
He smiled, shaking his head as he got in the bike and ran after her. He followed the sound of the ball bouncing in the ground
"You know I can hear it, right?" He yelled.
The sound stopped.
He still had the signal from the EAR, though. Thanks to the Bluetooth device, always connected to his system, he knew exactly where she was each moment.
He smirked and turned the corner, to the dinning room.
There was nobody there at plain sight, but the signal was in the pantry.
He opened it "Here you are!" He frowned when finding it empty. Then he saw blue flicking light on the last shelf. It was the EAR.
"David, you're being beated" Mother announced.
He smiled and rode to the pitch, where Gea was throwing the ball to the Basket, counting the points
"8, 10..." She stepped back a bit further, and aimed to do a triple, but David walked behind to caughter her with one arm while taking the ball from the other, and scoring over and over, as the girl squirmed between laughs "3...6...9...12! Won!" He announced, before letting her go.
"Cheater!" She crossed her arms
He laughed "You started, missy"
She went to get the ball, and flew to the other side of the room, scoring "30!"
He chuckled "What??"
"That was worth 27 points!"
He shook his head, grinning "Alright, alright. Enough for today".
"But I won, didn't I?"
He sighed in surrender "Yes. You won. Now, come down before you get hurt"
She did what she was told, landing smoothly so she was sat on his shoulders.
"I'm impressed. You've perfected both the thruster shoes and...well, that wasn't exactly basketball"
"But I won!"
"You did. But you cheated"
"I'm tired of losing" she argumented
"Honey, I can't always let you win."
She groaned in complain
"What do you want for lunch?"
"Hmm" she considered it. "I don't know. Too many options"
David smiled, satisfied. Two years before, Gea didn't know any other food than whatever he'd find in Paradise. Now she had developed an amazing taste, since in the Covenant was a large kitchen with a huge range of posibilities.
"Sushi" she finally said.
He took off her shoes as they entered the kitchen
"Can you teach me?"
"You know what I think about that" he took her Into his arms before setting her on her bare feet.
"But I don't see a problem! I wanna learn how to cook, and how to bath myself, and how to tie my shoes and comb my hair! Why won't you let me?"
"Babe, we've had this talk before" he knelt down her level "All you have to do is to ask me. I'll do it"
"But what if you're....busy?" She remembered the word she hadn't used since she was ten.
He caressed her red hair "I won't be busy again"
"But..."
"No buts, lady." He took something from his pocket "And don't ever, ever, take it off before my permission, alright? I wanna know where you are"
She rolled her eyes and nodded "Alright" she allowed hee daddy to place the device on her missing ear again.
"I'm gonna let that eye-roll slip, but you're warned"
She looked down, with a sigh "Whatever" she mumbled
"What was that?" He put his finger under her chin to lift her face up and make eye-contact
She sighed again, and smiled "Yes Daddy"
"I'm not gonna let you watch that movie again. The characters aren't a good influence for you"
"Whaat?"
"You heard me. Now sit down while I make the Sushi" he turned to the fridge
She rolled her eyes again "Ookaay"

They practiced piano two more hours on the afternoon. She barely spoke a word to him. And she frowned in protest throughout the whole shower, staying still as he washed, dried her and brushed her hair.
David had his reasons.
He simply couldn't stand the thought of his daughter being independent from him. He had seen how, in the movies, children grew up and moved home. Gea had nowhere to move to, right. But the Covenant was a big ship.
He wanted her to need him. He needed her to. He was more than happy to teach her arts, and languages, and show her movies. He wanted her to be perfect, clever, smart.
But not self-sufficient. Not a fully grown up woman. Never. She was his creation, only his. She was his baby. She had to rely on him for everything. To love him above everything. To turn to him on any doubt.
Because, maybe one day, when they reached their destination, humans would try to take her away from him. Again. And if she knew more than she should, she'd leave him. And he couldn't lose her.