Chapter 17: House of the Waiting Family

Al aged 14, Ed and Van aged 15.
Van POV:
We walk down the dirt road and Armstrong compliments Resembol.

"Four years..." Al says.

"Has it really been that long?"

I look over at Ed and nod.

"You mean you haven't come home once since you left?"

"Can't really come home to a place where there's no family waiting for you. You know our general situation, don't you Major?"

"Yes, I do." He answers Ed.

We approach the Rockbell house and see Pinako on the deck. Once we reach the house, I kneel down to pet Den.

"Old lady Pinako. It's been a long time. I need some more of your handy work." Ed and Pinako smiles.

"Apparently so. You really have done a number this time, huh? I don't know why you have so much trouble keeping your limbs."

Ed chuckles nervously.

"Yet it seems you've gotten shorter." She says.

"Who you calling small?! You miniaturized hag!!!"

"Your shorter than your temper!!"

"You're so short you're two dimensional!!"

"Moron!!"

"Grandma freak!"

"Edward Elric." The Major interrupts. One second he's wearing his shirt and the next it's on the ground and he's flexing. "How dare you speak to your elder with such blatant disrespect."

"Who the heck is this? He really doesn't get the joke does he?" Pinako asks. Ed sweatdrops.

'Long story.' I write down on a piece of paper and hand it to her. I walk inside and leave Ed to explain. Just as I reach the door, a wrench goes flying at Ed's forehead.

I knew that was gonna happen...

Ed falls over and Winry starts yapping at him. I walk inside and head straight for the fridge. Everyone comes inside and Winry scolds Ed and Al.

"Wellll, your arm looks like it's in perfect shape!!" She smiles and I swear there are sparkles surrounding her.

"Well, looks like I was wrong pipsqueak. You actually have gotten taller. At least by an inch."

"Don't call me pipsqueak!" Ed says with an irk mark.

"You're off balance. We'll have to make some height adjustments to your leg while you're here. Van come here. I need to check if your arm has grown at all."

I walk over and she begins to measure.

"Well, look at that. You haven't grown at all. Ed, stand back to back with your sister. I want to see who's taller."

He does as told and Pinako starts to laugh.

"Wow Van!! You're shorter than Ed!!"