17| Pointing Fingers At The Dog

Alan's POV

"Thanks for getting me out of there Austin." I said and gave him a small smile. We were sitting in his car outside of my house. After we had finished eating we drove around aimlessly and now it was eight. I knew when I actually got into the house it would be an absolute shit storm so for now I was content sitting in Austin's car where it was calm and quiet.

"No problem, it was actually kinda fun. We'll have to do it again sometime." He smiled at me and I nodded along.
"Sure." I took another glance at my house and sighed. "I guess I better be going."
"Okay. Hey Alan?" I stopped getting out of the vehicle and turned back towards him. "Here, umm, give me your hand." I gave him a confused look and he pulled a sharpie out of the console in the middle of the car. "Here's my number." He said as he wrote the digits down. "Call me if like you need something." He still held my hand as he told me but I didn't mind, it was only a simple reaction I guess.
"Okay." I said and smiled back at him.
"So umm, bye?" He said sounding unsure.
"Bye Austin. Thanks for today." I gave his hand a light squeeze and fully got out of the car.

I waved to Austin and watched as he drove off. I stood on the sidewalk a few minutes before accepting my fate and walking up to my front door. When I got inside everything was quiet and for a second I was hopeful that neither of my parents were home; however, my luck can never be that good.
"Where the fuck did you go?" I heard my Dad yell as I tried to go quietly up the stairs.
"I-I umm."
"Spit it out!"
"With my counselor." I said unsurely.
"Who gave you permission to do that?" My Dad crossed his arms and glared daggers at me.
"Umm he thought I was in an uncomfortable environment and that it would only set back my progress if I stayed?" I said trying to convince him that I, myself, just didn't up and leave.

"It's not gonna set you back! If you stayed around the damn girl you'd probably be all over her by now." He snapped. "If your counselor wants to be so involved then next time he can just chaperone or something." He took a moment and ran a hand through his hair before turning to me and poking a finger into my chest. "Next time don't you dare leave without permission from me or Mrs. Adams, you understand?" I nodded my head and he poked his finger harder into my chest. "I said do you understand?"
"Y-yes." I stuttered at his menacing glare.
"Good. Now go to your room." I didn't say anything else, just turned around and walked up the stairs.

Austin's POV

I was driving back to my place, a small smile plastered to my face, when my phone rang. The contact name showed 'Rachel Adams', I internally groaned and answered the phone.
"Austin?"
"Yes?"
"What do you think you're doing?" She said in a disapproving tone.
"Driving to my house?" I answered confused.

"Don't play dumb with me. You know what I'm talking about. Stop by the office and we can have a little chat." After that she hung up the phone. I grunted and slammed my phone into the passenger seat. I did not want to deal with this. I was in a good mood and all I had plans on doing we're going home and relaxing.

I quickly changed directions and made my way to the therapy building. I hastily got out of the car and went to Mrs. Adams office; I was ready for this to be over. I knocked on the door and quietly let myself in. She was sitting at her desk with a smile directed at me.

No one said anything for he first few minutes. Finally her smile broke and she opened her lipstick stained mouth. "So I'm guessing you know why I wanted to talk to you." She said matter-of-factly. "Go on take a seat."
"I actually have no clue why I'm here." I said and pulled out one of the chairs to take a seat.

"You're here because you ruined my date!" I high pitched voice spoke up from behind Mrs. Adams. I looked towards the direction the voice was coming from and noticed that it was the girl from earlier. I couldn't help the glare that I shot her.
"Ruined it? Now how did I manage that?"
"Umm let's see," he put a hand to her chin. "You took my date away!" She said raising her voice.
"He didn't want to be there!" I yelled back.

"Now children!" Mrs. Adams said in a stern tone. "You two need to get along because you both will be working very closely concerning Mr. Ashby."
"You're kidding me?"
"No Austin I am not. You are Alan's counselor and well Megan is very interested in Alan. They would make such a cute couple, don't you think?" She didn't even give me time to answer. "If only Alan would cooperate and see that this silly phase he is going through is just that, a phase. Megan will be good for him and with you pushing him along it will happen in no time." She explained as her smile widened.

"Alan's so impressionable and he just wants to please others. So I believe that with you both pushing and showing him how he should feel then he could be our most successful case yet!" Exclaimed with glee that made my stomach turn.
"You can not just shove someone and expect them not to fall." I old her quietly.
"Oh Austin don't worry, Alan's strong, according to his Dad, he can take it. I've already gotten permission to follow through with my plans and then you just had to come along and mess it up. Well that may be my fault because I didn't get you involved in the loop soon enough but now you are, and now you can help us!" She clapped her hands together.

"Whatever, this is ridiculous." I got up form my chair.
"You'll warm up to the idea Austin. It's a lot of information to take in, but remember that this is your job and this is what you have to do." I didn't do anything just headed to the door. "Have a great day Austin!" She called after me. I had to stop myself from slamming the door and once I was out of earshot I screamed.

This was so fucking unfair. Alan didn't need some attention seeking whore pushed on him. He's not a dog you can't just train someo-, I stopped interrupting my own thoughts with another thought, isn't that what this whole place, the place you work at, is about? We were supposed to be changing the mindsets of these kids, training them to think the way the rest of us think. I ran a hand through my hair and sighed. At the beginning, when I first got the job, I was on board for all of this, but now I'm not so sure anymore.