14 Life Advice

Iris~~

Word of advice: never wake up to Colton Blackwood looming over you.

"How did you get in here?"

"What do you mean?"

"I locked the door."

Colton cocks his head and stares at me like I'm a cockroach. "If I want into your room, I can get into your room. Don't act surprised."

I rub at my face with both hands. "Okay then. Why are you here?" Four days ago, Colton and Bently got me drunk and ever since I woke up the next morning, Colton has been at my side an annoying amount. Neither of them will let me leave the palace.

"There's a ball tonight."

"I don't recall hearing about this before."

"They decided on the ball last night."

"Last night?"

Colton shrugs. "They felt like a ball."

"Why are you here though?"

"I need to make sure my date will be presentable."

I swear a hear a screeching noise as the gears stop in my brain. "I am not going to be your date."

"I'm the Beta of the Elleany. I need a date."

"And I think I'm the fiancée of the Preeminence of Elleany."

He opens his arms. "Exactly," he drawls. "How would it look if I didn't escort my brother's fiancée to the ball? People have to know you're off limits. Think of me as a proxy."

"Again not your date."

"Not in a romantic sense."

"Still, that term will never and should never apply to you and me."

He rolls his eyes and sits down at the edge of the bed, squishing my leg. He moves over, and I jam my heel into his back. Rubbing his back, he glares. "It would be a scandal if we don't go together."

"It will be a scandal if we do."

"People expect me to escort you as a sign of respect."

"Why don't you take Vienna?"

"Would you like to try convincing her?"

"Are you trying to make her jealous?"

"No. Now get up or you'll miss breakfast."

Doesn't he realize his family could see any pictures that are taken of us? I would love for them to learn where we are. Colton, though, would not.

I push myself out of bed and head for the ensuite bathroom.

"I'm a prince, Iris," Colton says before I step inside. "And you are a future queen. Remember that when we walk in together. You're representing our country, the Society, and Jonas. Don't let us down, or you will certainly never marry my brother."

Colton takes his leave, and I'm left to wonder what not letting them down looks like. I'm already Expired. I can't do much worse in their eyes, right?

I shut the bathroom door and turn on the shower before sinking down onto the tile.

There's an Amoris in France, I'm going to a ball, and my fiancé is on a spaceship. Who said you don't have a life after your Expiration Date?