Chapter 33

Today was the day I dreaded most. It started with my alarm going off at 6.30 in the morning, and only being able to grab an apple on my way out for breakfast. But I told myself that getting up today was going to be worth it, because I'd hand in my writing project and then I'd be free to celebrate New Years for a while.

I had driven Sarah and I to uni, but we didn't talk much considering it was still dark outside because it was winter, and only quarter past seven in the morning. It still kind of felt like I was in bed, which was probably not a good thing because I was driving.

I was walking around the halls just before I had to be at my next class, the class where I'd be handing in my writing project. As soon as I turned the corner I could see Mr. Samuelson standing by the door to his classroom, already holding a stack of papers in hand.

'Good morning, Lu. Can I have your writing project, please?' He asked and flashed me a kind smile. I already had it in hand, so I placed it upon the other students' work neatly. I watched as he flipped through the pages, looking over it quickly. 'It looks pretty neat, from what I've seen so far. I'm proud of you.' He said, and let me walk through the door.

I'm proud of you, I repeated in my head. It was something I was told a lot these days, so much so that it began meaning nothing. Are you really proud?

Nothing very important happened in that class, so I spent most of the time brainstorming new project ideas in my notebook. I even created a little mind map and everything, and I thought it was so obvious I wasn't taking actual notes, yet Mr. Samuelson didn't seem to notice. I quickly packed it away when the class was over, and headed out without saying a goodbye or a 'happy New Year' to anyone.

I made my way down the halls, suddenly seeing a familiar face coming from the other end. 'Hey,' Will smiled at me. He, too, had a backpack stuffed with binders and notebooks, and two rather tattered textbooks in hand.

'Hi,' I smiled up at him.

'Have you heard from Simon?' He suddenly asked, taking me by surprise.

'No?' I replied, making it sound like a question.

'Oh.' He said, sounding somewhat relieved. The way he was playing with the frayed corners of his textbooks told me he was nervous, and then he walked away without saying anything else. He must have a presentation or something important due in the afternoon, I told myself.

In the afternoon, I only had one seminar left and I'd be free to go home. I hated having to walk through the overpopulated halls; I got used to the quiet of living in my own apartment.

Sitting in the seminar, I fiddled with my pen, trying to teach myself how to do all those cool tricks everyone else seemed to be able to do. My phone suddenly buzzed in my back pocket, against the hard wood of the chair I was sitting on, which made it a lot louder. Thankfully, nobody turned around to look at me.

Just as the lecturer was busy fixing the slide show on his laptop, I pulled out my phone and rested it on my lap, quickly unlocking it.

Saz: meet me in the bathroom on the second floor

Now? Why now? She knows I'm in a seminar!

As embarrassing as it was, I had to raise my hand awkwardly. And it just so happened the lecturer had asked a question.

'Ah, for once Lu has the answer! Tell us,' She smiled up at me. I slowly lowered my hand, feeling my cheeks blush a bright pink.

'Um, sorry, but may I go to the bathroom?' I asked awkwardly.

Her face fell. 'If you must,' She sighed. I stood up, sneakily pushing my phone into my back pocket and walked out of the room, feeling the eyes of all the other students burning into my back.

I pushed the door open to the girls' bathroom on the second floor, which was actually quite far away from the seminar lecture. I just hoped that, whatever Sarah needed, it wouldn't take long.

Sarah was there already, and it seemed like she had actually gone to the bathroom, and was now washing her hands.

'Thank God, there you are.' She said, and put a couple stray strands of her hair behind her ears as she looked at herself in the mirror.

'What is it?' I asked, impatient.

'Have you heard from Will?'

'Not really, I just bumped into him–' I began to say but she cut me off.

'Oh.' Is all the said. She seemed kind of annoyed or disappointed. Then she pushed past me to get out of the bathroom and left.

---

Right so there's going to be some pretty exciting things happening over the next two chapters (I'm typing this a-n on my phone so bare with me). I did say that there's a storm coming and don't you worry, unlike KSI's, this storm will actually come 😂

But at the moment, school is almost starting again and I have a HECK TON of stuff to finish.

Basically please don't get mad at me if I forget to upload lol thanks

Mel xx