Chapter 38

People filtered out of the room eventually. Eventually meaning around 8 o'clock at night, and the new silence that filled the flat seemed wrong. I got used to all the noise so quickly that the flat now seemed beyond empty and almost abandoned.

Only Josh, Callux and Simon stayed behind no matter how many times we told them they wouldn't be sleeping over. 'Callux! We need a girls night!' Sarah laughed as she attempted pushing her boyfriend out the front door. He was clearly having none of it, and Josh and Simon were rooted to the couches.

'It's weird because I feel like celebrating this with a drink, but you can't have any.' Josh giggled at Freya. She rolled her eyes dramatically in response and brought her empty glass of water to the kitchen.

'How excited are you on a scale from one to ten?' Simon asked, walking up to me from behind and wrapping his strong arms around me, placing his chin on the top of my head.

I turned around in his hold and rest my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. 'I don't know, maybe eleven?' I answered and he chuckled, his chest vibrating. 'Have you guys thought of any names? Do you know if it'll be a boy or a girl?' He questioned Josh.

'No and no. Just chill man, we have quite a few months left.' He said. Josh out of all our friends was happiest, which doesn't surprise me at all. He was often referred to as the dad, but now that he would actually be one, he couldn't be prouder. I jumped out of my skin when Cal suddenly sat down at Sarah's keyboard and hammered his fingers into the keys aggressively.

'Callum!' Sarah shouted in annoyance from the bathroom. The fact that she knew it was her boyfriend messing around without even being able to see it made me smile. Once she emerged from our shared restroom she rushed Callum out of the flat, claiming that seeing him for an hour was more than enough for her. She was joking, of course, but like me, she was looking forward to spending a girls night with Freya and I.

Once we got the three boys huddled outside of the apartment and just as I was about to shut the door, Simon turned around to face me with a pout on his lips. His azure eyes were much darker in the dim lighting of the hallway of the building, making him look much more upset than he probably was. 'Do I really have to leave?' He whispered.

Josh grabbed his arm when the lift arrived at our floor and tried pulling him along, but Simon stood his ground. 'For fucks sake man, how do you think I feel having to leave my pregnant girlfriend?' He complained.

I couldn't stop myself from smiling. I heard Cal shout 'come on!' as he bounded his way up the stairs to his flat. I raised an eyebrow. 'Are you guys staying at Cal's tonight?' I asked.

Josh quickly nodded, and tried pulling Simon with him again. Simon wobbled a little bit, but refused to take a step away. I sighed and crossed my arms as I leaned against the doorframe. 'Fine.' I said and opened the door wider. Josh reluctantly let go of his strong hold on Simons arm, letting him walk back into my apartment. He quickly waved as he slipped into the lift between the closing doors.

'Girls night!' Sarah shouted as she threw her arms up in the air, stomping down the hallway to Freya's room. Simon carefully closed the front door behind him as he stepped out of his shoes and jacket again. I bounded behind Sarah with Freya close on my heels.

'I guess I'll take over Lu's room in the meantime.' Simon sniggered and winked at me before we slipped into Freya's room.

I cannonballed onto Freya's bed and flew up a good meter afterwards. I then rolled over onto my stomach and smiled at Freya. 'So. Names? Gender? Morning sickness?'

'When did this all happen? When did you tell him? How? What was his reaction?' Sarah joined in.

Freya laughed and her and Sarah joined me on the bed.

'Okay, so it's way too early to tell whether it's a boy or a girl yet. I haven't really brainstormed names yet but I guess I have a few in the back of my mind.' Freya began.

'What are they?' Sarah butted in.

Freya giggled at her excitement. 'I don't know, just simple things like James or Oliver, or Alex.'

At around one in the morning I managed to stumble back into my bedroom. I initially fell asleep in Freya's bed, but when she woke up and found me next to her she immediately kicked me out, claiming that her bed was for her and her baby only.

I guess Josh gets kicked out too.

I slipped underneath the sheets in my room quietly, careful not to wake up Simon who was probably already asleep.

I squealed when he suddenly turned around to face me with his deep blue eyes. His blonde strands were hanging over his forehead, still a little damp from the shower he apparently took. He still smelled of his refreshing shampoo and soap, with a hint of his usual deodorant. You'd think it was too many scents at once, but it made me feel like a child with too many presents at Christmas; giddy and overwhelmed.

'Why are you still awake?' I hissed, cuddling further into the duvet in attempt to calm my racing heart. He simply shrugged and his arms quickly felt their way around my waist.

'What did Freya say?' He whispered, curiosity laced in his voice. I turned around in his grip and let my hair fall to the side. Simon placed a small kiss on my shoulder.

It was my turn to shrug. 'Whatever,' I said.

It took me ages to fall asleep. I couldn't help the baby names running in my thoughts, or the comfortable warmth that spread through my stomach as mine and Simon's palms were pressed against it. I couldn't help but smile at the thought of a laughing baby running through the flat, or seeing it's big eyes open for the first time, or the little fingers wrapped tightly around one of mine.

Overwhelmed, but no longer giddy.

Jealous?

No.

Maybe.

Yes.

Obviously.

---

Just came back from a week on holiday, I feel like crap, I'm sunburnt, I have millions of freckles on my face and my face is 100x tanner than my neck, and I can feel sickness coming.

Update: I have a cold. Lovely.

Hope you've all been good :) Just to clarify: I posted a new chapter because I couldn't stand not continuing writing this book. Once it was finished I just felt so empty and I actually missed the characters (yes I am going insane lol) so I decided to continue it whenever I can.

All the love

Mel xx