Chapter 46

I woke up when the birds started chirping at 5 in the morning the next day. Seeing as it was slowly becoming Spring, the sun was rising earlier, which means the birds were awake earlier, and I made the mistake of not closing my blinds fully before going to bed. There were two little birds perched on the blinds, chirping away happily at each other, and the sun lit up my room.

What a time to be alive. Or to wake up at.

I rolled over to face my nightstand and of course, the first thing that I did was pick up my phone. Every time I did it I realised I was becoming addicted. In an attempt of solving the problem that was probably going to destroy my corneas in a couple of years, I placed a kindle or a book on top of my phone so I'd be more tempted to pick that up instead. A kindle isn't much better, but you get the point.

Nothing interesting had apparently happened as I slept. For once, Twitter was peaceful, with people tweeting out their good mornings and good nights depending on where they were in the world. Instagram was filled with pastel-coloured pictures in honour of spring. Even Dan and Phil had already filmed their easter baking video.

Besides that, I had a text notification. And it wasn't from someone I often talked to.

I know what you're thinking. No, it wasn't from Ed or Will, so you can stop holding your breath now.

It was from Vik. Vik and I were good friends and we talked whenever I went to visit Simon. Other than that we didn't see each other very often, so I wondered what he was texting me for.

Vik: hey, long time no see! I'm wondering whether you'd like to grab a cuppa tea or come round ours? I need your help... 😊

Me: it's 5am, I don't think any coffee shops will be open but i'll come up to see you. What is it you need help with?

Seeing as I was already awake and Vik hadn't gone to bed yet, and he convinced me he wasn't going to feel tired enough to sleep any time soon, I got out and drove up to the Sidemen House. I enjoyed the drive, just listening to the engine scream as I drove up onto the highway without having the radio on. It was too early in the morning to be listening to mainstream number one hits like Closer and Attention.

On my way there I let my mind wonder as to what he could possibly need help with. It couldn't be with filming a video or anything to do with YouTube because he has the guys for that. If he wanted photos – fridge, I didn't bring my camera! – then he could've just asked Josh since he's just as good a photographer as I am. He had probably purposefully ignored my question on what he needed help with when I texted him. The suspense was killing me.

When I arrived at their familiar house, I managed to get the perfect parking spot right in front of their door. I walked up and knocked instead of ringing the doorbell since I wasn't sure if everyone was still awake or not. Seconds later, Vik opened the door.

'Shh, you better be quiet because your hubby and his friends just fell asleep.' Vik giggled as he let me walk in the house. 'Anyways, about that cuppa tea, strawberry and raspberry with milk?' He asked, walking over to the brewing machine. I smiled up at him meeting his warm brown gaze. I loved that he knew my favourite.

Moments later we were both sat on the couch in the living room. The sleeves of the sweater I quickly pulled over my head before leaving the flat completely covered my hands as I wrapped them around my cup of tea to keep warm. The few seconds I spent outside in the chilly breeze whilst waiting for Vik to open the door was enough to make my teeth chatter. I took a sip, loving the warm feeling it gave me as I felt it go down.

'So how can I help?' I asked after we both sat there cross-legged, enjoying our hot drinks.

'Well,' Vik said and lowered his own cup of coffee. 'I wanted to ask you about this because I feel too awkward asking Freya or Sarah.' He started. His black hair was still styled to perfection which I guessed meant he was filming a couple of videos before he texted me. I raised an eyebrow at him and watched him rub his eyes sleepily before continuing. 'Because I basically met this girl...'

My eyes widened as he spoke but I didn't want to say anything because I was scared I was going to ruin it. I felt beyond honoured that Vik chose me to talk to instead of his other friends. Without saying a word, I let him continue his story.

'I met her a while ago at Upload. She was really nice and we got on really well. I remember she started talking to me about how she was starting her own YouTube channel and I said I'd help her with filming and stuff, and that's how we got to know each other. We've hung out a couple of times but it's never too serious. So I–I think I want to ask her to go on a date with me.'

'What's her name?' I asked with growing interest but Vik shook his head.

'I don't want it to accidentally slip into a conversation.' He replied, then suddenly looked alarmed by his answer. 'Not that I don't trust you or anything, I just don't want the viewers to get involved. I just really want to take this slow and I don't want anything to mess it up.' He told me and I nodded along, completely understanding where he was coming from. He looked at me with big, sorry eyes, and that's when I understood. He didn't want what happened to me and Simon, happen to them as well.

'So do you think you can help me?' He looked so excited, like a child waking up on Christmas day.

'Of course!' I smiled happily and we both took another sip of our tea.

'Let's just make sure we don't spill any tea, okay?' He asked. Ah, Vik and his puns.

'Your secret is safe with me.' I winked at him and then set my steaming tea on the coffee table in front of us. 'So, what were you planning to do on your date?'

He simply shrugged. 'To be honest, that's what I was going to ask you.'

'And when? Timing is key,' I told him, only to have him shrug again. I sighed and made him pull up his Notes in his phone, and then we got to work.

---

Do you guys want me to continue writing this book, even though Stalia is a thing? :/

Mel xx

Twitter: overworkdwriter