Chapter 60

think I'll put my a-n's up here for a while. anyways my first final exam is in 2 days and I'm shitting myself so pls wish me luck :) but yeah enjoy this long ass chapter (it's twice as long as usual, ur welcome haha) (also pls excuse any spelling mistakes I didn't proofread this soz)

---

I pursed my lips together when I read Lachlan's text. Both my legs and my hands were still shaking from what I had just witnessed and–let's be honest–I really couldn't be bothered to walk down the hill to their hotel in the dark and then walk back up again on my own. Even though usually I'd do anything for pizza.

The text my dad had sent me send a pang to my chest, and I reread it over and over again. I very rarely talked to him because he knows I tend to get busy during the school year, and it's cool of him to give me some space. However, I hadn't seen him since last summer, and now it's April. I know it's cheesy to say, but time really did pass quickly. I have a group chat with him and my mum on WhatsApp where we check in with each other from time to time, but I haven't properly spoken to him in so long.

He couldn't have sent the text at a better time. It's like he knew what just happened and the situation I was in, and I couldn't think of anyone better I would want to talk to right now. My dad has always been 'The Cool Dad'. He knew when to give me some space, and when not to give me some space so I'd learn a lesson, and, apparently, he knew when I wanted to talk to him most. He's a traveler, and sends my mum and I crazy pictures of him pulling weird faces in places he's never been before.

He's a business man, and my mum works in retail. I was always convinced I got my creativity from my mum, but then my dad wrote a poem for her for Christmas that was 10 pages long, and that's one of my best memories ever. I took a polaroid picture of it and hung it up on my room.

Without giving me the chance to text back, my phone rang and his name and picture popped up on the screen. "Dad?" I answered.

"Hey! Did you see my text?" He asked. Ah, classic Dad. I have shown him countless times how to see if someone has read your message or not, but I guess it never sunk in.

"Yes, I did. I'm coming home by the end of this week." I answered, smiling to myself and pacing around the room. I always do that when I'm on a call: it's a subconscious instinct of mine.

"Oh, great! How is it, then?" He asked, and through the way his voice sounded I could tell he was smiling, too.

"It's hot and sunny everyday. Makes for some great photo opportunities, I think I've got my final exposition in control. But um, you know Freya, right?" I asked.

"Freya, the one with the blonde hair, right? The one that lives with you?" He asked just to make sure, and I could hear my mom say 'Of course, she's lovely that girl is,' in the background.

"Yes, well, I don't know if I told you but she fell pregnant a while ago." I revealed and heard gasps from the both of them. "And the went into labour just now. I'm on villa duty." I finished.

"Oh goodness, you tell her we say congratulations, alright?" My mum said, having snatched the phone from my dad. "Do you know if it's a girl or a boy?" She asked, getting overexcited in that way mums do when they hear about a baby.

"Well, I'm not sure he's been born yet, but it's a boy." I laughed at her enthusiasm.

"Oh, how beautiful. Send pictures for us, will you?" She asked. I nodded, and then realised she couldn't see that I nodded. My cheeks flushed.

"Yes, I will. If they'll let me." I answered.

"Julia, give me my phone back! I want to talk to our daughter," My dad said from the background, and with a lot of scratchy sounds, he got his phone back.