Chapter 37

Simon's Point of View

I was playing Rocket League with the boys for a video that should be going up tonight. I quickly glanced at the top right corner of my screen, seeing the date and time.

It was February 14th, 2017. My 3 year anniversary with Lu.

Well, not really our 3 year anniversary, but basically. It was just easier to keep it this way. The 10th of January would still be a special date to keep in the back of our minds, though.

'Come on Simon! Stop daydreaming!' Ethan shouted into my ears. I quickly averted my eyes back to the game, seeing that the square ball had landed right in front of me. 'Yes, dad! Hit it like you hit your girlfriend!' He cackled as I attempted hitting the ball closer to the goal.

I chuckled, my eyes growing wide in shock. 'Excuse me? I don't hit my girlfriend.' I said, sounding somewhat offended.

Ethan chuckled at first, but that chuckle then grew into a loud laugh. 'Really? Not even her G spot?' He howled.

'Mad.' Josh and I said at the same time. I turned around in my chair to see her figure hidden underneath the plush white duvet, sound asleep. She was fully out of shot because people didn't really know about it yet. About the fact that she's always in the background of my videos, I mean. Only now did I realise how much I missed her presence when I filmed, even if she wasn't really there.

What I mean by that is Lu is basically dead when she's asleep. She could sleep through anything. I giggled at the thought.

'I won't include this in the video, okay, but can I ask you something, Simon?' Josh asked.

It obviously sparked my interest. 'I don't know, can you?' I giggled.

He sighed loudly, bored of that joke that reminded us all of primary school. 'I was just curious to know what you're going to do with that ring. You know, the one you and I went to buy a couple months back. Oh, you eat more cookies than Cookie Monster!' He suddenly screeched when the other team snatched the cube from him.

And with a pang I realised I completely forgot about it. 'I'm just saving it for when the time is right,' I said.

'Will the time be right soon?' Ethan joined in.

'Maybe.'

I neatly put my headset and microphone away, taking down my camera and quickly downloading all the footage after we finished the video. I heard Lu stirring underneath the sheets behind me, hopefully gradually waking up. I could just about see her hair poking out, her messy strands all over the place.

After making sure the footage was downloaded, I walked over and slid underneath the duvet next to Lu, instantly wrapping my arms around her waist. I felt her place her hands on top of mine, and then turn around in my arms to face me. Her eyes were extremely tired: she'd stayed here to work on a uni project all night. She barely had a wink of sleep. I felt so lucky to have a job that I didn't have to go to uni for.

Blinking her eyes a couple more times to get rid of all the sleep, she parted her lips to say something. 'Why is it that you always look so good?' She asked, running her fingers through my hair as she spoke. I smiled down at her, snuggling closer to her and tangling our legs together. 'Stop, your leg hair tickles.' She giggled, attempting to push my legs away from her. 'Okay but seriously, with that sunset lighting behind you filtering through the window, your hair and your eyes just look stunning.'

I smiled at her and leaned down to press a loving kiss to her cheek. 'Boys with blonde hair and blue eyes are the devil's angels, love.' I laughed lightly, repeating what she always told me.

'Fuck you, Simon.' She said and turned back around in pretend anger. I laughed louder, loving how her metaphor related to her name. It just worked perfectly; I was a devil's angel in terms of looks, but I was also hers.

'You love me,' I retorted.

'You're lucky I do.' She replied. She turned back around, obviously not comfortable, and cuddled into my side. With her head resting on my chest and one arm draped over my stomach, she fiddled with my dog tag as sleep persuaded her to come back. 'Wait, before you fall asleep again, I have something I want to give you.' I told her. She looked up at me through her eyelashes, then got up as I got out of bed.

I had to look around for it, but eventually I found a small velvet box. I'd been hiding this for a while, but I messed up the time to give it to her. So I figured now would be the perfect chance.' When I walked back, I knew she'd already seen what was in my hands. She almost looked worried.

'Simon?' She asked as I sat down next to her on my end of the bed, feeling the bed dip underneath my weight.

'I wanted to give you this at Christmas, but I kind of messed all of that up. So, um, here.' I said, placing the box in her hand. She sat up properly next to me and I watched intently as she slowly and carefully opened the box.

She gasped when she saw what was in it, and I could almost hear her thoughts as she remembered when I could've bought it.

'Did you really buy this for me?' She asked, picking it up and looking at it closely. It was indeed the rose gold bracelet she had picked up at a stall at Winter Wonderland. I first bought it was just the name of the company, Cartier, engraved on the inside, but last weekend I went out to make it even more special. February 14 2015 was added on the inside, engraved in the most elegant font.

She leaned her head on my shoulder and she slid it over her hand and let it hang from her wrist. It fit perfectly, almost as if it was handcrafted for her.

'I love it so much, it's gorgeous.' She whispered, still admiring it.

I breathed in deeply. 'Oh man, my hands are sweaty, knees weak, arms spaghetti.' I laughed. I don't know why I felt so nervous giving this to her.

She laughed along, then turned to look up at me and pressed her lips against mine. My hands flew to her waist and her arms wrapped around my neck and I picked her up and sat her down on my lap. When she pulled away, I pressed some last few kisses on the tip of her nose, and then one on each cheek.

'You know I'm not the most romantic person in the world, so seeing you looking at this at the stall really helped me out.' I chuckled, being the first one to break the silence. She engulfed me in a hug, letting us both fall down on our backs on the bed.

'Rest on me,' I whispered, playing with the ends of her hair. I remembered that was some sort of song lyrics, but I couldn't remember where it came from. Letting a couple seconds go by, I realised it was from the song Guillotine by Jon Bellion, but I messed up the words. 'And if you fall asleep, then at least you're next to me.' I continued. Ah, Ed Sheeran.

And so we spent our three year anniversary just sleeping next to each other. Every time I blinked my eyes open to check if she was asleep yet, I'd see the golden sunlight bouncing off of her new bracelet. Knowing that a couple of months ago I thought I'd never get to experience this again, right now, I wouldn't want things any other way.

---

I got pretty emotional whilst writing this 😪

If this were an actual book, I'd stop the story here. But because so many of you like it so much and I got really attached to the characters, I decided to continue it for you all :)

Mel xx