Setting Her Free

As Aljur was going through the schedule of post-natal check ups that Kylie had to go to since giving birth to Alas, he couldn't help but notice how the latter's eyes seemed to be glued to the television while their son was sound asleep on the crib by the living room. 

Sunday Pinasaya was on at the moment and Ruru was in a segment called, "Boys Room". 

Aljur wasn't blinded of the fact that Kylie's eyes twinkled at the mere sight of him. 

Whenever he attempted to be funny, she would laugh. Whenever the camera caught him just sitting there and listening to his other co-stars say their lines, she'd still look at him as if he was the most handsome guy in the entire universe. 

Kylie used to look at him like that, but he was just too stupid to let her slip away from his life because of his being selfish and too complacent that no matter what happens, she would simply remain by his side through the good times and the bad. 

He forgot that Kylie had the capacity to forget him, to move on and to find someone else who was worthy of her attention, time and love. 

"Mahal mo talaga siya no." Aljur started as slowly sat beside her on the couch. 

Kylie's response was a sigh; simple, but heavy and meaningful. 

"Oo. Mahal na mahal." She said. "Kaya lang, ang hirap."

"Bakit? Dahil may anak tayo?" 

Kylie looked at Aljur with sad eyes.

"Aj, you don't understand and even if I try to make you, you still won't." She said. "Kahit na masaya ako na you're finally owning up to the responsibility of being a father to Alas, ayokong magsinungaling sa'yo at sa sarili ko. I'm not happy with this set up." She added. 

"I don't like the fact that Alas and I are living in your house. I also don't like that you're trying to mend our broken relationship when we both know that it's not going anywhere." Kylie admitted. 

"I hope you get me. I don't want you to stop being a father to our child. I just want you to stop fixing something that's terribly broken. Something that doesn't have the capacity to return to what it used to be anymore and that's us. That's our relationship."

"Aj, mahal ko si Ruru. He makes me happy and it kills me inside that we can't be together and that I'm hurting him because of all these things that are happening in my life right now." Kylie said as she began to tear up. 

"Alas is my priority right now, but he is too, and I want him to know that."

Aljur nodded sadly as he tried to stop himself from tearing up. 

"Alam ko." He said. "Pero nasasaktan din naman ako ah. Nasasaktan din ako dahil siya yung pinipili mo, pero kahit mahirap, tatanggapin ko dahil kahit sa ganito man lang na paraan, maramdaman mo na mahal talaga kita, Kylie. Itong gagong 'to, mahal na mahal ka." He added.

"Sorry dahil umasa ako na baka sa pagdating ni Alas, matutunan mo kong mahalin ulit. Sorry dahil pinipilit ko ang hindi pwede at ang hindi na dapat." Aljur said. "Pero hindi ako hihingi ng sorry sa desisyon kong panindigan si Alas dahil kahit na anung mangyari, ako pa rin ang ama niya."

"Nobody is ever going to take that away from you." Kylie replied. "Even if I'm in love with someone else, you're still Alas' father at hinding hindi ko ipagkakait sa'yo ang pagiging ama sa kanya." She added. 

Aljur mustered up a faint smile. 

"Thank you." He said. "Mula ngayon, magpaparaya na ko dahil alam ko na 'yun ang tama... dahil alam ko na 'yun ang magpapasaya sa'yo. Ayoko ng maging selfish. Ayoko na ring maging gago. Sana... okay lang sa'yo yun." He added, somewhat lightening up the heavy moment between him and Kylie. 

The latter responded with a small laugh, but one that was enough to affirm that they were going to be okay. 

"You're a good man, Aljur. I know you are." Kylie said as she hugged him. "Just be a good father to Alas and we're going to be okay. Maybe not as lovers, but surely as friends."

"Don't worry," Aljur replied as he hugged her back. "I'm happy with that."