Chapter 8-Unarmored

(Sonata's POV)

I usually knew what was going on at any given moment but I guess I'll call this a case of logical collapse.

I was bam boozled, unarmored, and confused as he walked away from that hallway.

How quickly had I completely forgotten my senses and given into his eyes? They were a simple innocent brown that told no lies, so I also began to trust his posture, his smile, his words.

This morning I was so set on a rebellion. To deny the boys any leeway because obviously they were in some kind of cahoots with my dad. I didn't want my dad approving of my friends.

My walls were tall and thick, with cameras and guns and metal. I was so cute no one would break in yet all her did was ask a question and they opened willingly.

Who made you change it?

The question was so innocent and he said it so abruptly I didn't deny him a truth. Just one I told myself, I'd give him just one and it wouldn't be a big deal.

He looked so offended by my answer, angry and confused why my dad would do such a thing. And when I asked why he kept staring I wasn't expecting a truth, yet he gave me one and an I'm sorry.

This is worse than odd. Oddness didn't usually feel this good. I was downright gleeful as I went to fifth period.

Me and Rue snuck glances at each other. Undeterred by the fact we'd already been so bold. Of course something bad had to happen right? This moment of excitement over a conversation that was...Satisfying.

That night I thought of him. I thought of how short he was and how he treated me the first day. Those callous words hurt of course but their mark was no where near as significant as his words today.

He liked my hair. He wanted to touch my hair.

I'll ask you, and I'll be polite. So don't forget me Sonata.

I haven't been happy in so long. The idea of being blessed with such a gift was foreign to me. I haven't been happy since I was 10, I felt like I'd melt.

When I got home Angie was shocked when she brought me dinner. I'd stuck my head in the under my bathroom sink and attacked the lifeless mass with water. My hair sprung up kinky and coiled and I was smiling like a maniac looking in the mirror and felt my air smile back.

Angie saw my state and thought differently.

"So you decided to ruin all our work in less than 12 hours? No only that you washed out the dye and ruined your uniform yet again,"

She was mad, and I didn't forget her threat to tell my father I needed medication.

So don't forget me, Sonata.

How could I even begin to forget you?

"Are you gonna tell him?" I looked down at my uniform and the blotchy smears of brown stuck in the white fabric. I didn't think of that.

"He's left suddenly on business but he'll certainly find out," Angie seethed the words but I wasn't the least bit afraid. Because a boy wanted to touch my hair.

"He told me he was grateful I became friends with the boys right?"

Her long nose and sharp features made for a scary looking glare. I offended her. "He said you did well yes,"

"A boy, he uh....liked my hair before,"

I was sitting on my bed as I told her. It could've been my grin, or my still dripping mane, or the drastic change in mood that tipped Angie off but her viscous tone held no bounds.

"You did all this for a boy?"

Angie was so mad she sent another girl to drop off a new uniform. I was wired and awake all night, I took two more showers to washout the dye completely.

Even though I know I'd get hurt, even though I knew I should distance myself, I couldn't. I'm being selfish, just this once.

I was prepared the next day. But Rue didn't look my way. I was bright smiles, curls and all and he didn't even glance at me.

And that was what it was with good moods wasn't it? They ended.

I'd forgotten how naivety could swipe you from whatever high your feel and drag you. I felt like someone had tripped me and my head was bouncing off the pavement.

It was my stupidity that got me the most. I'd gone home and done someone drastic. Suddenly my old hair felt like a brick on my scalp. The impending doom is face when my dad saw me was at least worth a glance wasn't it? Or a smile or for him to keep his promise and ask me? To touch me? The more I thought about it the more I felt desperate. To turn back time or feel immediately validated and I got neither. Did he not realize? Did he not notice?

I'd been stuck in impish glee, the kind that wakes up my blood, the kind feels like the icing on cakes and splashing in the sea.

I was a unarmored fool. I was left with a trail of gunpowder in my veins and he refused to light a match.