A Promise

(Rue's pov)

My heart shattered into a million pieces at the sight of Sonata like this. I mean, I've seen her this scared before. But I still couldn't stomach it. Me and the boys all agreed her life was by far worse than ours. I shook her gently. She needed to snap out of it and tell us what my father had said. I swear to god I'll kill that basterd for what he said to her, no matter what it was.

"Nota please." I cooed. Or at least tried to. My voice cracked at the end, I was holding in tears. I can't handle seeing her like this. It's impossible to stomach. Someone as bright as her in tears. Her vibrant smile no where to be found. It filled me with complete and udder dread.

"He's gonna get me." She repeats over and over. Her voice dull and monotone. Her bottom lip quivered again, my stomach clenched.

"Who? Who's gonna get you?" Alex quickly rushes out. Worry and concern evident in his eyes. My eyes dart back to Nota to see her reaction. She's still curled into a ball on the couch. Her bare feet dirty from sprinting out the house. I made my way towards her. She coward back a little but didn't flinch which I was glad about. I pulled her on to my lap, burying my face in the crook other neck. I ignored the shocked stares of everyone. She needed this.

She clutched my shirt for dear life. Her body raked with broken sobs. This wasn't like anything I had witnessed. I shushed her gently, blinking back tears of my own. It took a while, but we all waited as her sobs turned into whimpers. Her chest heaved with labored breaths. I rubbed her back.

"Nota. I need you to tell me what's wrong." I pried gently. Horror mixed with pain flashed in her eyes and another tear cascaded down her cheek. She shook her head. "I-I can't." She stuttered.

"You have to Nota." Mark pleaded. She shook her head again. "Nota we can't help you if you don't tell us." I tried again, trying to keep the slight irrigation from my voice. She paused for a long moment, getting a car away look in her eyes. Her zoned out stated led my to believe she was pondering.

"Your father. H-he knows." She broke. Her eyes glancing around frantically as if she was scared he was gonna pop up out of nowhere. I was confused. "Knows what Nota?" I press. She visibly shuddered at the memory.

"He knows Rue. Your father knows about my dad and what he does."

My and the boys all exchanged glances. A mixture of shock, dread, and anger rammed me at once. My father knew. He fucking knew that a girl like her was living hell. He was so cruel. He knew before I did. She broke down crying again, I shushed her and rocked.

"Its ok. I won't let anyone her you. Ever." I stated with finality laced in my every word. She shook her head again, crying harder. "No! No you don't get it!" She sobbed. I furrowed my brows. Why was she still upset.

"What? What is it." Alex spoke up. Saying my thoughts exactly. "H-he-."  She looked down in shame, not finishing her sentence. "Its worse than you think. I didn't tell you the real reason why you found me last night." We all exchanged glances. The reason she told us was pretty bad. I mean she was beaten to a bloody pulp, could it really get any worse.

She took a deep breath. Unshed tears at the edges of her eyes. "My father wants to–. My father wants to-" Once again she stops. More tears flowing. I was about to speak when a voice cut me off. "Dammit Nota spit it out." Jake hissed. I turned my head to glare at him. Yes she was taking a long time but this was hard for her and she didn't need him pressuring her.

"He's gonna rape me." She whispered. I froze. We all froze. My blood ran cold. I had to make sure I heard her right. "What?" I croaked. She just started to cry more.

"I don't know what I did. He's gonna rape me. Then share me with your father. I can't stop him." She sobbed.

I was shaking.

"M–my father?" I stood up stumbling over jumbled thoughts and anger.
You're so soft boy.
"Why would he–No. No. No. Never."

She couldn't go through something like that, I wouldn't let her. Just the thought made me sick.

You're a good boy right?

The memory slow and thick washed the back of my eyelids as I blinked and was gone as fast as it was there.

"He won't fucking touch her." I seethed, low and soft I grumbled and bathed in the thought of hurting them.

"He wouldn't— he wouldn't he promised," I mumbled. He promised he wouldn't hurt anyone else.

He promised.

Alex put a hand on my shoulder.
Don't touch me.
"Your scaring Nota calm down."

I paused at the thought.

"I can't. He's gonna do it. I can't stop him." She sobbed. I shook my head.

"No. Sonata I promise he won't do anything. We'll protect you. I'll protect you."

"You can't. He's to powerful. He could have you expelled." She choked. I hurt the fact she was right. Was I really prepared to lose my whole future to protect her?

Who am I kidding? Hell yeah I was.

I cupped her small face in my hands I looked her in the eyes. Getting lost in her green orbs for a moment.

"He won't hurt you I promise." I stated. I meant every word. He would lay a finger on her. No a hair on her head will be harmed. I looked back at my friends, they all nodded in agreement. I was afraid of losing everything. My dream. But I was afraid of losing her more. I promised myself something.

I promised. I'd protect the girl I had feelings for.