Ch. 28

Kimberly Stratus:

I woke up feeling like I haven't slept for years as if my energy was drained out of me. The first sight I woke up to was my arm, which was hooked up to wires and tubes. I must have been rushed to help. Down at my wrist, I noticed it was bandaged because of how torn up it was by the ropes. Just to test my strength, I wiggled my fingers. They moved even though I felt sore.

I was already breaking a sweat from just turning my head. Matteo's face came into view. He was sitting in a chair beside my bed. Matteo's head was laid on the small space of bed. He fell asleep holding my hand.

I did a quick scanned of the room and realized I wasn't in a hospital, but a room. I must be in one of the other mafia houses.

A coughed rose from my throat, my eyes watered from my desperate need of water. I raised my free hand to cover my mouth to muffle my cough but the motion itself caused Matteo to wake up.

"Kimberly?" Matteo yelled, jumping out of his chair like he wasn't asleep a few minutes before. He let go of my hand, rushing to the desk and back. Matteo pressed the button for the upper part of the bed to move upright, making me go into the sitting position. He carefully lifted up the water bottle to my mouth, helping me hold the water to drink.

After setting the water down, I was pulled into a hug. Matteo was shaking as he held me. I noticed his breaths were deep. I only stayed still as he hugged me, listening to his exhaling and inhaling. I did some of the breathing also. Although his embrace was tight, I manage to smell the familiar scent of Matteo. Immediately, I felt at ease.

I noticed how different Matteo looked as I drank water. His hair was slightly grown out, in need for some hair cutting. He also looked exhausted, the dark circle under his eyes told me that he went sleepless for days. Could it be me that made him into this state?

"You're okay." He said as he pulled away and cupped my face, giving me a saddened smile.

I'm okay? My mind wandered back to what happened and realized why I was in this situation, why I was hooked up to tubes and wires, the reason for me being so ill and lifeless.

"What happened?"

"We found you and you passed out." Matteo explained, "We decide to come here to hide and get you some help."

"Where are we?"

"Italy."

I turned to the open window, which was our source of light, it being noon. Outside of the window showed the foreign country. I was really in Italy.

"Wow. " I said. This was my first time being out of the country. I would have liked to visit here under different circumstances.

"Hold on for a minute," Matteo told me before he left the room. I was left with the silence. Without his presence, I realized how tired I was. I closed my eyes for a minute, but the sound of footsteps made me look.

He brought back Marcella. At the first sight of me awake, Marcella came running over to me.

"Kimberly!" She grabbed my face, looking into my eyes. "You scared me!" She sniffled as she teared up, "What did they do to you? I swear, when I get my hands on them, I'll make them pay. Never mind that now I'm glad you're finally awake."

She wrapped her arms around me, squeezing me tight.

"Finally awake?" I asked as I pulled away from her

"You fell into a coma for three weeks." She told me, bursting into tears again. "We just got you back and then you flatlined into a coma, getting everyone worried."

"What?" I asked, looking at my stable monitor, shocked to hear that I was asleep for that long.

"Give her space, Marcella, she just woke up." Someone said as they laid their hand on her shoulder to gently pull her back.

I followed the sight of the arm, leading me to Aiden's face. A gasp left my lips when I made eye contact with Aiden. The sight of him brought me memories.

I was brought back to the fearful moment when Aiden hit the ground after he was shot. The sound of gunshots that I fired rang loud and clear in my ears. I watched in slow motion as every bullet pierced into Emilio's body. My black and white vision went shaky as I fell to the floor.

I was shaken out of the past. Instead of standing back in the garage, I found myself back in Matteo's arms.

"It's okay, Kimberly," Matteo said as he stroked my hair, trying to calm me down. "You're safe now. It's over."

I looked over Matteo's shoulder to see Marcella pushing Aiden out of the room.

I was hyperventilating and shaking at the same time. Despite Matteo's effort to comfort me, I was unable to calm down. Warm streams of tears ran down my face as I gasped for air.

I pulled him closer and tighter. Squeezing my eyes shut, trying to not remember what I went through.

"I was so scared, Matteo."

"I know, Kimberly." He said as he gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"I thought you were never going to come for me," I told him as I looked at his face.

"Shhhh. I'm here now." Matteo whispered as he wiped my tears.

I moved over on the bed, making room for him to lay down with me. It was when I was done crying. I was emotionally, as well as physically, tired.

"Sorry," I said.

"Hmm?"

"I ruined your shirt."

Matteo looked down as if he just realized that his shirt was soaked with my tears.

"It's okay." He shrugged. He moved his hand with intentions to move a strand of hair out of my eyes. I flinched at his slow movement, making him disgustedly shocked.

"Kimberly.." Matteo started, but I already knew what he was going to ask.

"I don't want to talk about it," I told him, shutting him up. I wasn't ready to talk about what they did to me to make me like this. I wasn't even done processing it. He was clearly upset that we were passing on the subject but he dropped it.

We stared at each other for a while. My sleepiness caught up with me, forcing me to yawn.

"Get some rest," Matteo told me.

I shook my head as I felt my fear grow, "Wh-what if I don't wake up?"

"Don't worry," Matteo said as he scooted closer to me. "I'm here."

Feeling a little bit reassured, I fell asleep with Matteo laying beside me, watching over as I got some shut eye.

***

Show me some love by commenting and voting on my book :)

Please don't forget to follow and share <3