Ch. 31

Kimberly Stratus:

Feeling nothing as I waited for a long time, I opened my eyes to see that Matteo had taken a few steps back.

 "They're gone," he said as he looked back down the street we came from. 

He grabbed my arm and ran, dragging me along. I looked over my shoulder to see two police officers walking in the opposite direction.

I could feel my cheeks burn red from embarrassment. Matteo probably had spotted them walking down our way and made it look like we were a couple. Stationary cops must have been reported to be on the look out. 

Without me to bring Matteo down, he'd probably be running, but at this point, we were both jogging. My legs were about to give in, quite the workout for someone who stayed in bed for a couple of months. I looked at Matteo, my support. I would be on the floor if it weren't for him. My heart fell as I thought about what had happened minutes ago. I was disappointed that I didn't get that kiss, even if it was to create an illusion.

Does he not feel for me? After being away and captured by Stollo, Matteo was the only one on my mind. I wanted him before the incident, but I needed him after. As cliche as it sounds, he's my hero. 

He came to get me back. That had to mean something. On the first day of training, he told me that the mafia doesn't go back to save the last man. Maybe Marcella begged and bugged him enough for him to rescue me.

I looked down at my hand that's intertwined with his, remembering the day I woke up from the coma. I woke up to him asleep while holding my hand. For a second, I felt sad. Sad that'll I have to let go of this hand one day.

Would Matteo even care?

Matteo Casciani: 

We made it to the car, and I could tell that she was exhausted. By the time I sat hopped into the driver's seat, Kimberly was already buckled up. 

"Okay, let's go home," I said.

We were about 30 minutes away from the safe house and, due to it being noon, traffic was starting to pick up.

I was tempted to run the red light, but I slowed the car to a stop. 

Taking this time to look over at Kimberly since the car wasn't moving, I turned to her.  I caught her staring at my hand, which was on the gear shift. I wondered why she was examining my hand when I realized that my knuckles were torn, swollen and bleeding. I moved my hand out of her view, bringing it back to the steering wheel. In the corner of my eye, I can see that she had frowned and turned herself to face the window.

***  

Kimberly Stratus:

"Kimberly!" I heard Matteo yelled in panic as he shook me awake. 

"Huh?" I asked, wonder what happened as I regain consciousness. 

Matteo let out a shaking breath, "I thought you fainted again." 

"No," I said as I stifled a yawn, "I was sleeping." 

"You're okay?" He asked. 

"Yeah, just tired," I told him, nodding my head. 

Matteo straightened up and began to walk to the other side of the car. I turned to the driver side to see that the door was opened. He must saw that I was unconscious and ran over to my side. Without Matteo to block the view, out of my car door, I saw that he had parked right by the safe house. 

I got out of the car and headed to the front door. Matteo followed me from behind after he locked the luxurious car. 

I opened the door and walked in to hear Marcella and Giovanni in the kitchen. 

"Hey! That's my plate!" I heard Giovanni whined. 

I walked into the dining area to see Marcella dodging Giovanni's attempt to get his food back. 

"Sucks to suck." She shrugged. 

I caught a glance of what's on the plate, and I heard my stomach growl. We didn't get to eat lunch because of what happened. I walked passed them two and into the kitchen. Aiden was cooking. The smells of grilled bell peppers and the sound of sizzling meat filled in the room. 

"Looks great," I said. 

"Should taste great too." He told me, confidently, as he left the pan to get a plate. As he was putting the meal on the plate, I went to the other side of the long island to grab a spoon. 

After finding my trauma, the doctor put Aiden and me in therapy sessions. It was horrible in the beginning, but it worked out in the end. 

Just as Aiden handed me the plate, Giovanni walked in. 

"Awww, come on!" Giovanni yelled, upset, "Your boy is starving!"  

I laughed as I walked passed him, purposely lifting the plate up by his nose. I walked out of the kitchen and into the dining area where the long table was placed. 

I sat across from Marcella, whose plate was already half empty. 

"Fuck you guys!" Giovanni said, entering the room with food. "I said dibs on the first plate but you two son of a bit-" 

Giovanni didn't finish his sentence. Out of nowhere, there was a sound of a gunshot fired. The bullet came from an open window, hitting the glass plate in his hand, shattering it. 

"Fuck!" Giovanni yelled as he got under the table. 

"Oh my gosh," I yelled out as I followed Giovanni's move. I was on the floor and crawling over to his aid. "Are you okay?" 

"The glass got me." Giovanni gritted out through his teeth as he clutched his hand, trying to stop out the gushing blood. 

Marcella crawled over to us. "Do you need a straw?" 

"What?" Giovanni asked, waving his injured hand. "Why the hell would I need a straw, Marcella." 

"Because you need to suck it up." 

"I know what I can suck up," Giovanni replied, suggestively. He wiggled his eyebrows and licked his lips, seductively.

I rolled my eyes. Of course, even at a time of crisis, Giovanni still has the nerve to say dirty stuff. 

***

Please show much love :)