22 { I Admit }

The two sat in the driveway for a second before getting out.

"My dad will either be super overprotective and nice, or really mean. Just beware. Actually, I can drop you off-"

"El, its fine. I understand."

He stared at her for a moment, amazed. Was she really overlooking all the craziness in his family? He kissed her cheek then brought her inside.

Elliot's father was sitting at the kitchen table, staring hard at his cell phone. As the teens entered, he looked up, an uncomfortable look crossing his face.

"Hi, guys. Nice to see you again, Olivia."

"You too, sir."

"Well I'm gonna go up and grab the bag I left here," Olivia said. "You two talk."

"No, it's okay, Olivia. You can stay. Bernie tells me you might be able to help."

Guilt surged her entire body. Would he accuse her? Blame her? She didn't know.

"Oh, uh, okay." Her voice trembled a bit, as did her fingers. She slowly ventured towards the two men and took a seat. Elliot nudged her foot with his, as if to say that all was going to be okay.

"So...you know these people, Olivia? The ones who did this?"

"Yes, sir. Th-they...I used to cheer with them. I was a cheerleader."

"So it's the cheer team?"

"Just a group of them, really. Not all of them are that mean."

"Who on that team isn't-"

"Just the ones you don't know," Olivia said, slightly ducking her head. She used to be one of those girls, then she decided switching sides was the answer.

"Okay. This all is too ridiculous to file a report, in all honesty," Joe explained to the teens. "If it continues, then perhaps. Bernie does worry quite a bit but I can't say I blame her."

Elliot looked up in slight disbelief. He was fine! He had completely forgotten what had happened for most of the afternoon. "Dad, I-"

"That's what you said before, son. I'm wanting to give you the benefit of the doubt but things got pretty bad-"

"When I was 7! This whole thing is stupid! It was a bunch of cheerleaders that think doing stuff like that is funny. I don't care!"

"Who are these girls, Olivia?"

"Their names are Amanda, Kim, and Melinda. Those are the main girls. A couple others join in but I don't know who." Guilt was eating this girl alive. She answered the truth but knowing she started all this chaos was tearing at her insides.

Joe was writing down some information and Olivia watched. Elliot looked between the two and saw Olivia's expression. She was totally going to out herself. While Joe was still focused on the pad of paper on the table, Elliot reached over to touch Olivia's arm. She looked up at him and he shook his head.

"Th-There is one-"

"Liv, no!" Elliot said, standing and reaching for her.

"El, its-"

"What's going on?" Joe asked, quieting both the teens.

"I was friends with those girls!" the brunette blurted out.

Elliot's head dropped. She did not need to be blaming herself. He spoke up a moment later. "She thinks she needs to  take blame because they are her friends."

"Olivia, don't worry about it. Just because you know them doesn't mean you're responsible," Joe said with a slight smile.

"But-But I-"