38 { (Goose-)bumps and Bruises }

It was after midnight, but lights were still on in the house. She didn't want to barge in, but wasn't sure what had happened. She went up to the front door, and looked in through the window. She couldn't see much because the blinds were in the way, but was confident she saw Elliot walking around.

She knocked.

Inside the home, Elliot, Alexis, and Cameron all jumped and turned around.

"Who the hell is that?" Cameron asked.

Elliot walked over. He looked through the peep hole and then immediately swung the door open. "What are you doing here?!"

"Why didn't you answer me?!" Olivia said back in the same manner.

"Because I'm kind of busy?!" Elliot responded. "What-"

"Olivia?!" Alexis questioned, standing up.

"Hey, sit down," Cam told her, grabbing her arm. "You can't walk!"

"Yes, I can, but fine."

Olivia looked around Elliot and saw Alexis sitting at the table. But she didn't look how she did when she left the mall. She had a black eye, bruised cheek, and lots of scrapes and bruises elsewhere on her body.

"Alexis?!" Olivia exclaimed, pushing past Elliot to get to her. "What happened?"

"Umm..."

"You're gonna have to get used to telling people-"

"We aren't telling anyone!" Alexis exclaimed, visibly upset.

"You have to. Lex, this isn't okay. He didn't have the right to-"

"It's only another year until I move out, it's fine."

Those words hit Olivia, hard. She said the same thing about her and her mom's relationship.

"You can't take that. It's not okay," Olivia said, trying to keep her voice even. Her mom never hit her that badly; she didn't give her the chance. But something told her that Alexis's mom didn't do this damage.

"What do you know?" Alexis said.

Olivia sat next her, reaching out her hand. "That this," she gestured to Alexis, "is not okay. Hitting and abusing a child or teenager is not okay. Who did this?"

"Her mom's boyfriend. Who else?" Cameron said angrily.

"Is this why you left the mall early? Did he call you?"

"No, my mom did. She was mad because she thought I messed with Jared's stuff. I didn't. And then apparently I got mouthy. And when I didn't have an immediate answer, he got a-an-angry." The poor girl was in tears, throwing her face into her hands.

"We have to tell my dad, Lex. He'll know what to do," Elliot said.

"No! I don't want anyone to know!"

"Then why did you come here?"

"Hey, shush," Olivia interrupted, waving a hand in Cameron's face. "Let her work through it herself. Then we can talk about it."

Cameron sat back in his seat, listening to what Olivia told him. Elliot sat next to her, leaving his hand on her back. Olivia relaxed slightly at his touch.

"I don't want the cops to know," Alexis said. She lifted her head, looking to Olivia for comfort.

"Why not?" Olivia asked her, pulling a strand of hair away from her face.

"B-Because my mom loves him. And she does or doesn't love me but if I mess things up by getting him in trouble...sh-she's gonna hate me. She'll kick me out. And I'll have nothing."