Chapter 5 - The House

Collin sighed at the fact that he had lost all of his stuff but continued to walk in the direction of the house he and Sam had made. Breathing in the cool air, he soon arrived at a double-storey home with a wheat and potato farm nearby. He noticed Sam chopping down more trees in the distance and he went towards his friend.

"Wow, you've managed to get a lot done while I was away." Collin approached Sam slowly with a surprised expression.

Turning around to meet his eyes, Sam dropped his iron axe when he saw who it was, "Collin? Where have you been? You've been gone for three whole Minecraft days and I was starting to worry you got lost underground."

Raising his eyebrow, Collin responded, "I was? I thought I was only gone for a day."

"Never mind that, did you find any diamonds?"

Shaking his head, Collin began to tell Sam his story of what had happened when he was mining. He talked about how he fought off hostile mobs and met Herobrine and he explained what had happened after he had died.

There was a pause before Sam could reply, "Are you sure you didn't dream the last part about the land of the dead?"

"I can't be sure if it was a dream or not, but it seemed real enough and I don't plan on dying anymore."

"Well then, you're going to need this." Sam reached into his bag and pulled out a set of spare iron armour, which he tossed towards Collin. "I don't have an iron sword with me right now, but I think I have some in the house."

"Thanks bro, I really appreciate it, but I hope you'll understand that I don't want to do anymore mining."

"Alright then, I'll mine this time and you can tend to the farm and protect our house." Sam brought out an iron pickaxe and began to search for a cave.

Collin headed back to the house and realised that it had completely changed compared to the last time he was here. Not only were there wooden stairs that led up to the second floor but there was a furnace which warmed up the room. His stomach grumbled and he found a chest in the corner of the room, which he opened to find there was nothing good for food except some rotten flesh and a piece of raw chicken.

Taking out the raw chicken, he placed it in the furnace and was glad to only have to wait about five seconds before it was completely cooked. Breathing in the delicious smell of cooked meat which lingered around the air, his stomach grumbled again and he took out the meal. Collin placed his meal on a wooden table and cut out a small piece to eat. "If only cooking in real life was this easy," he said to himself while stuffing a piece of chicken in his mouth.

The sun began to descend below the horizon and as it became darker, the place became quieter. It was not long before loud banging could be heard at their iron door and Collin knew the zombies had returned for his brains. To avoid hearing the loud grunting noises made by the zombies, he went upstairs and discovered it was even better than the first floor. There were more furnaces which gave off a nice, fiery glow and bookshelves were lined up against the wooden walls like a library.

The only thing that seemed missing was an enchantment table, which required diamonds and obsidian. There were also windows and Collin decided to look through one of them. Outside, he could see many zombies, skeletons and a few creepers trying to enter his house. He could also hear many spiders on the rooftop.

"Why are there so many mobs trying to attack me?" Collin said to himself with a confused tone. He wished Sam would return and help him fight off the mobs, but he knew there were too many of them. He soon got lost in his thoughts and time passed by quickly. Before he knew it, the sun was beginning to rise.

Looking out the window again, Collin saw skeletons and zombies ignited with fire and creepers and spiders beginning to crawl away and back into dark caves. Breathing a sigh of relief, he brought with him a stone hoe to tend the wheat and potato farm outside.

As he walked out of the house, he began to gather the wheat and potatoes that were fully grown before placing more seeds into the soil. Collin had never liked farming, but it was a lot easier in the world in Minecraft compared to the real world. When he had finished, he headed back into the house, placed the potatoes into the furnace and began making bread from the wheat by using a nearby crafting table.

In the afternoon, he could make out a figure in the distance. He looked through the window; the mysterious person began to come closer and closer. When Collin saw who it was, he quickly opened the door and rushed out to meet his friend.

"Sam! Did you find any diamonds?"

With a wide grin on his face, Sam replied, "Yup! I brought back a lot of iron ores, some gold ores, a lot of obsidian and I managed to mine about a dozen diamonds."

"Oh good; I guess we'll be able to make an enchantment table and a nether portal now."

The two of them headed back to their double-storey home and Sam began to eat some of the chicken that Collin had cooked before. Collin began to place the iron and gold ores in the furnaces while gathering four obsidian and two diamonds. "Sam, do you have a book?"

Shaking his head, Sam replied after he had finished chewing a piece of chicken, "Nope, but I think I have some leather and sugar canes in a chest somewhere. Could you make a sugar cane farm outside?"

"Sure." Collin found some sugar canes and sand blocks in a chest upstairs and went outside to quickly place the sugar canes on the sand blocks. He wondered if he and Sam would be able to defeat the Enderdragon and return home, but before that could happen, he would need to enter the nether, find a nether fortress, get some blaze rods and ender pearls and locate 'The End' portal.

Just as he was about to enter the house, an arrow flew right past him and missed his left eye by an inch. Collin turned around and saw a figure in the distance with glowing white eyes. "Herobrine?" Collin whispered with a panicked tone.