Chapter 10 - The Ender Hunters

Whilst sprinting into the forest of snow-covered trees, Collin prayed that they would not accidentally run into a creeper. Even as they continued to keep as much distance as they can from the army of hostile mobs, they knew that the spiders were slowly catching up and arrows whizzed past them like bullets. The dark of the night made it hard for Collin to see ahead and the constant pelting of snow irritated Scarlett.

After running for several minutes, Collin could not run any longer and collapsed onto the soft snow that covered the ground. Scarlett also stopped running and looked behind them; there were a few spiders in sight but the rest of the army was nowhere to be seen. "We should keep going, I spotted a few spiders still following us," she said with her eyes blazing angrily as she looked out into the distance.

"We need to find Sam and Greg first; they could still be back there." Collin got back to his feet but continued to gasp for air. His legs felt wobbly from running so fast and his vision was slightly blurry.

Shaking her head, Scarlett replied, "No, the hostile mobs might still be back there. Our best bet is to hunt for ender pearls in order to locate the portal to their home world. Hopefully, Sam and Greg will do the same and maybe we will meet up with them there."

With a sigh, he decided to go with her plan. Immediately, Collin started to hunt for endermen around the area while the Nether Knight stayed to build a small house out of the remaining netherrack that she had brought along. After a minute of searching, Collin sighted an enderman standing still near one of the big, snowy trees.

He pulled out his powerful diamond sword and charged towards the tall, dark creature with glowing purple eyes. Collin swung his blade at the enderman only to miss, since the creature had teleported further away. Frustrated, he continued to pursue his target but in the end, he got tired of running around pointlessly and had not been able to even hit the enderman once.

"Okay, I give up," he said to the enderman and began to walk away. However, the teleporting mob was not done yet. It teleported behind Collin and began to attack with arms stretched out in anger. Collin took three hearts of damage before being able to quickly turn around with a quick, side slash. This time though, the shocked enderman did not manage to teleport away fast enough and instead, took a fatal blow to its legs.

The enderman cried out in pain and quickly teleported six blocks away. "You asked for it," Collin told his enemy as he began to attack again. He stabbed at the slender mob, which teleported behind him again. This time though, he was expecting it and pulled out a water bucket that he poured onto the ground around him. A split second later, Collin could hear strange sounds of pain and when he turned around, he saw the enderman disappear into white mist.

Using the bucket, he collected the water around him with ease as if they were water blocks and found an ender pearl lying on the ground. Collin reached down to pick it up and put it in his bag. "One down, many more to go."

* * *

When the sun started to rise, mobs all over began to hide underground and Collin returned back to where he had left Scarlett. He was surprised by what he saw. There was a nicely built house made up of netherrack and glow stone blocks. Scarlett was just finishing off the roof of the small house when he had arrived. "Whoa, you're a good builder!"

Scarlett turned around and when she had seen him, she raised an eyebrow. "Collin, how many ender pearls did you manage to collect?" she asked without responding to his compliment. Beads of sweat were rolling down her forehead.

"Not many, I think I've only collected about five," he replied with a hint of disappointment with himself.

"You only collected five!? I expected at least ten ender pearls!" Scarlett snapped back angrily, causing Collin to flinch.

"Well, endermen are hard to find, and if you were in my shoes, you couldn't have collected ten anyways," he said defensively.

Instead of getting angrier, she seemed to be amused. "Are you challenging me?" When he did not say anything, Scarlett continued, "Let's make a deal; if I collect ten or more ender pearls tonight, you will have to carry all our supplies to 'The End' portal. However, if I don't collect more than nine, than I will carry the supplies," she said confidently while pointing to two heavy-looking bags of food, tools and other useful items.

"Deal," Collin agreed with a smile.

* * *

Night-time returned with its cool mist, snow, and scary mobs. Scarlett had already gone out to hunt down endermen while Collin stayed in the netherrack house to keep warm. He thought of his friend Sam, and of Greg, and wondered if they were already searching for 'The End' portal. Looking out the foggy window, he could see Scarlett fighting an enderman in the distance.

She wasn't hard to spot even though it was dark and foggy outside, as her long, red hair seemed to glow with a fiery light. Collin couldn't help himself from staring and admired everything about her. He couldn't remember a time when he had felt that way for any other girl he had come across in his life. And wondered if this was what falling in love felt like.

Time passed by quickly and it was soon bright in the world of Minecraft. Scarlett arrived back in the netherrack house and showed Collin that she had collected seventeen ender pearls.

"H-How did y-you ge-,"

"I guess I win, and a deal is a deal. So you will have to carry the supplies all the way to 'The End' portal," she interrupted.

"Fine," Collin said with a not-so-excited tone. Now that they had twenty-three ender pearls altogether, they used the blaze powder and combined it with the pearls to create eye of Enders. They soon began to throw eye of Enders in the air in order to locate the area of the portal. The two of them travelled during daytime and collected more ender pearls at night. Many Minecraft days passed and when they had thrown another eye of ender, it sunk through the ground. "Looks like we are standing on top of our destination," Collin said as he brought out a diamond shovel. Without much effort, he dug a staircase that led downwards, leading to the depths of the over world.