Chapter 1 - The world of blocks

On a bright and fine Saturday morning, most kids would be out playing sport and hanging out with their friends in a park, but not Collin. All Collin wanted to do on his weekend was play his favourite game, which was none other than Minecraft. He quickly got changed out of his pyjamas and had a quick breakfast before turning on his computer. He was a tall, brown-haired guy with gentle, brown eyes that seemed to reveal his simple personality.

His friend Sam had created a private server where they could play in as often as they could. Even though they were both thirteen years of age and best friends since second grade, Sam was a blond-haired boy with a different character.

When his computer had turned on, Collin loaded up Minecraft and a social application called Skype. Seeing that his friend was online on Skype, he began to type in order to send him a message.

"Hey Sam, I'm joining the server. Are you already in? Collin asked through chat.

"Hello Collin. Yeah, I'm already in, been waiting for you. I've started working on a big city in creative mode, care to help me out?" Sam replied.

"Sounds like a good idea. I can see you working on the buildings in-game, guess I'll make the city's walls.

Together, they worked on building a nice city, which they were creating using mostly stone blocks and wooden planks. After a whole hour, they had finished and stopped building to admire their work. Shortly after, the two of them decided to battle each other in combat using diamond armour and swords, but before they could even start, Collin heard his mom call his name from somewhere outside his room.

"Collin! Please give your sister a chance to play on your computer," His mother yelled.

Collin groaned in annoyance. His nine-year-old sister, Jane, then came into the room slowly and looked up at him expectantly. "Alright then," He said while getting off from his seat, much to his sister's delight.

* * *

That night, Collin went out of his house to look at the stars since stargazing was one of his favourite hobbies. He did not have a telescope, but he hoped that he would get one this Christmas. He stared out at the night sky for about ten minutes before deciding to go back inside, for it was starting to get cold. Suddenly, a streak of light flew across the sky and he knew that it was a shooting star. Collin decided to make a quick wish; he wished that life would just be like Minecraft. Even though he knew that his wish was impossible, he did not really care.

He then went back inside and saw that his mother had already prepared dinner. Collin grabbed a plate and a fork before sitting down next to his sister on the dining table. In the middle of the table was a large bowl of his favourite food; spaghetti. As he scooped some spaghetti onto his plate, he wondered where his father was.

"Mom, where's dad?" Collin asked while shoving a fork full of food into his mouth.

"He's working late tonight, but he should be back by 8pm."

After dinner, Collin went back to his room to sleep. He turned off the lights and lay down in bed, excited to play Minecraft with his friend again the next day. As his eyes grew heavier, he closed them and dozed off into dreamland. It was not long before he opened his eyes again, but instead of waking up in his warm, comfortable bed, he was lying down on hot, dessert sand.

He stood up whilst brushing off the sand and looked around him, spotting squarish cactuses and endless sand everywhere. In fact, the terrain around him seemed to be made of one-metre long square blocks. "Where am I?" He thought to himself. That was when he suddenly realised that he was actually in the world of Minecraft.