Chapter 4 - The Villager

Collin launched forward with his stone sword aimed at a zombie's heart, if it even had one, that is. The blade pierced right through the zombie's body and the creature turned to dust, leaving behind a piece of rotten flesh. The two remaining zombies hobbled towards his direction and Collin retreated a few steps to keep his distance. Swinging his sword upwards, he chopped off a zombie's arm, but it did not seem to do much harm because the two creatures were still slowly coming at him.

Collin took another step back and bumped into a wooden wall. He quickly looked sideways and realised he was cornered, with three rotten arms only a few blocks from his face. Knowing he was going to die, he dropped his half-broken sword in surrender and closed his eyes. His heart rate quickened and he could feel sweat rolling down his temple. That was when he heard two loud slashes and it suddenly became quiet. Daring to open his eyes, he saw two pieces of rotten flesh on the ground in front of him and behind them, was his friend Sam.

Sam was holding two iron swords and had a sheepish grin. "What took you so long?" Collin asked while bending down to pick up his sword.

"Sorry, I was busy crafting these babies," Sam replied while proudly holding up both of his iron blades.

After a few seconds of silence, Collin asked another question, "You going to give me one? My sword is almost broken."

"Why, of course. I only need one anyways." Sam tossed one of his newly made iron swords to Collin, who caught it with a grateful nod.

Since they did not have the materials to make beds, they sat down and talked, until it was morning, which did not take very long in the world of Minecraft. Planning again to go their separate ways, Collin set out into the cold, snow biome to look for another cave while Sam stayed back to start a farm. When he had found an entrance to a cave, Collin rushed inside, eager to find some diamond ores to mine with his new iron pickaxe. While placing torches with one hand, he wondered when he and Sam would be able to return to the real world. Will he have to defeat the Enderdragon first?

Usually, he would never travel in dangerous caves without Sam. Fortunately, Sam had constructed for him an iron chest plate, which made him feel a lot braver. After travelling downwards for what seemed like hours, he decided to take a short break and see where he was.

Collin surveyed the vast cave he stood in, there were multiple iron ores and a few Redstone ores, but he did not bother to mine any since he was busy looking for those blue, shiny rocks. As he walked deeper into the dark cave, he could hear a hissing noise right behind him. Instinctively, he leaped forward quickly and a split second later, there was a huge bang.

The explosion had caused a messy hole in the ground and Collin breathed a sigh of relief; glad that he had jumped out of the way in time. That was when a skeleton and a spider suddenly decided to emerge from another part of the cave. "Just my luck," he said to himself as he charged forward with his iron sword drawn.

The spider crawled quickly towards him with red, hostile eyes. When the eight-legged terror was only a block away from Collin, it leaped forward, ready to strike down its victim. Collin, however, dodged the attack with ease and stabbed the monster from the side. The spider fell onto the ground and vanished, leaving a piece of string behind. Before he had time to pick it up, the remaining skeleton fired an arrow in his direction.

This time though, he did not have enough time to avoid the attack. The flying arrow pierced into his iron chest plate and he stumbled back in pain. Collin pulled out the dart from his armour and ran towards the skeleton, deflecting the next arrow with his blade. When he was close enough, he swung his sword quickly through the skeleton archer's body, shattering its bones into many pieces.

Satisfied, he continued his way further into the cave and he soon came to a stop at a cliff. Looking down, he saw hot, boiling lava. That was when he felt a strong shove from behind him, sending him sprawling downwards to the fiery lake. Turning around, he saw who had pushed him off; standing on the edge of the cliff, looking down at him while he was falling to his death, was a figure with white, glowing eyes and an evil grin.

Collin let out a small scream. He had heard about the mythical Herobrine before and had read many scary stories of other players claiming him to be real, but he had never actually believed them, until now. As he plunged into the lava, his body began to boil. After a few seconds of pure agony, he blacked out once again.

He soon spawned somewhere else but instead of waking up on soft grass, on the dry desert sand, or even on the cold snow, he woke up in a land of complete darkness. "Where am I?"

To his surprise, someone from behind him answered his question. "You are in the land of the dead, of course."

Turning around to meet his responder, he saw an adult with a brown robe, green eyes and an unnaturally large nose. "You're a Minecraft villager!" Collin stated in surprise.

"Why, yes, I guess you can call me that, but I prefer being called Bob," Bob said with a kind smile.

"So, you're Bob the villager." Collin tried not to laugh at how ridiculous it sounded. "Anyways, how come I did not spawn in a biome?"

"That's because I've come to tell you that you are down to your last life. All Minecraftians have three lives, and you've already died twice."

"So what happens if I die again? Do I return back to my world?"

Shaking his head, Bob answered, "I'm afraid not. If you lose your last life in this world, you stay dead. However, if you want to know how to return to your own world, your best bet is to defeat the Enderdragon."

Before Collin could even reply, there was a blinding flash of light and he found himself back at the snow biome. For some strange reason, he had lost all of his items this time. Looking ahead in the distance, he saw his house and Sam working on the farms. As he walked back home, he could not help wondering if Herobrine had even pushed him into the lava and if what Bob had said was true.