Two

Warning-mentions of self harm, safe to read beyond first time skip (---)

I look in the mirror and frown as I attempt to look presentable. I can't remember the last time I tried so hard with my appearance, but something tells me -for once- it may be worth it.

My eyes scan my body and face. I look like crap. I am crap. I run a hand through my hair to try and sort the mess out. As I do, I catch sight of the scars on my arm. My fingers trace over each one.

What a terrible waste of a perfectly good wrist.

As part of my new life, I promised myself that I would stop. I knew that continuing old habits would just bring everything back.

I pull my sleeves down to cover my wrists, and leave the room with my bag on one shoulder.

--------------------------------

My mum is sitting at the kitchen table in her suit, furiously tapping at the keyboard on her laptop. She barely raises her eyes from the screen as I enter the room, but takes time to quickly glance at my outfit.

"You're not wearing that to school, are you?"

I sigh as I open the fridge. I guess some things in my life will never change.

"They'll give me uniform when I get there." I didn't think my outfit looked too bad. Grey jumper, black ripped jeans and a pair of grey trainers? A bit depressing perhaps but nothing abnormal.

I give up on the fridge and grab an apple before opening the front door.

"Erm, y/n, please brush your hair." I hear my mum call from behind me. I roll my eyes and step outside into the cool September breeze.

"And remember to call into the McKenzie's café!"

"I will!"

I shut the door and feel like banging my head against it. So much for my reinvention.

As I start to walk down the street I find myself concentrating on the door to number thirteen. I don't know why, but in some way I do. I want to see them come out in their uniforms, to reassure me that I'm not going to be completely alone.

As if on cue, the door opens, and two people step out onto the driveway. I pretend I haven't noticed them, despite the fact I've just passed number fifteen and approaching them at an abnormally fast pace. Out of the corner of my eye I see them stop and stare at me. They know what I am, I must stink of wild to them. As soon as I pass them they begin muttering to each other. I don't want to know what they're saying, I just want to get away.

---------------------------------

I sit awkwardly in an uncomfortably itchy uniform as the head teacher frantically searches for my paperwork. I spotted it on her desk ten minutes ago. I could tell her, however the amount of amusement I'm getting from this is fantastic. I try not to burst out laughing when she apologises once again for 'being such a scatterbrain!', instead I smile and reassure her I don't mind.

"Well I'm sure it will turn up" she says, waving her hands up in dismissal. She takes the seat opposite mine and I can sense her heart rate return to normal. It's the first day of the new year and I've already caused her so much stress.

"So, y/n. You must be feeling nervous about starting a new school, especially in year eleven..."

No, not really.

"..and I understand if you're worrying about making friends."

I'm not.

"So to help, I've arranged to have someone take care of you."

Crap. This is exactly what I don't want. I'm fifteen, I don't need a babysitter. I open my mouth to protest, but she is distracted by a knock on the office door.

I turn around and come face to face with an unbelievably grumpy looking girl. The smell of perfume on her body is so strong it makes me want to gag. I take in her long, dark brown hair tied in a high ponytail so tight it seems to stretch her face. The perfect makeup and expensive-looking hooped earrings is enough to tell me that she's way more popular than I can ever hope to be.

"Aria is in most of your classes, and today she'll show you round and introduce you to her friends."

I simply nod and put my bag on my shoulder, presuming Aria wants to get out of here as soon as possible. We get hurried out the room and before I know I'm left in an empty corridor with my new bff.

Aria digs into her pocket and shakes a pot in my direction.

"Want some gum?"

"What? Oh, no thanks."

Her voice is softer than I expected. And although I've already started pushing people away, she seems okay with it. But even as a wolfblood, it's hard to figure out her personality.

We walk in silence, the sound of Aria tapping on her phone resonating throughout the corridor lined with red lockers.

"So what did you do?"

I frown. "Excuse me?"

She sighs and rolls her eyes as if I'm a burden. "What did you do to get expelled from your last school?"

"I didn't get expelled. I moved here."

"Oh, sorry". Despite her apology she looks taken aback. I'm guessing she's not used to being stood up to.

"I like your earrings" she says, poking at the small hoops dangling from my ears.

I smile. "Thanks. I like yours." It's a lie. her hoops are the size of tennis balls. They look ridiculous alongside her slim face.

Before I can become any more of a bitch and continue criticising her appearance, we reach the door to our class. I can already hear some of the conversations coming from inside, but all stop when Aria opens the door.

Silence, and all eyes turn to me.

The teacher is the first to speak. "Miss Kendall, why are you late?"

Aria shrugs. "I had to pick up the new girl. Sir, this is y/f/n." She says. I don't know what to do. Should I say something?

He simply nods and returns to his desk. "Right, well, she can sit with you for now."

He barely even looks at me.

Aria ushers me to the back. "Thank god he said you could sit here." she whispered as we sit at an empty table. "I don't think I could stand another lesson sitting here like a loner."

I'm not listening. Instead I'm watching the teacher, who has started taking the register. He has a slight Irish accent, it's nice.

"That's Mr Newman." Aria says "He's one of the few good teachers here. But he-"

She's interrupted by Mr Newman shouting loudly across the classroom.

"Matei Covaci!"

"Oh, sorry. Here sir."

"A bit of attention would be nice Mr Covaci."

Wait, I know who that is. I begin to look around frantically.

"What are you looking for?" Aria asks.

My eyes interlock with a pair I've seen before. He's seen me, and he knows.

"..nothing."