Five

" Hello darling."

"...Um, hi."

I stare at my mum, confused at her attitude. She ignores this and looks me up and down. I prepare myself for the worst.

"That looks nice, good to see you've settled into your new school."

This sends me from confusion to pure shock. My feet are glued to the floor and I can't seem to form a sentence.

"...thanks. Aren't you supposed to be at work?"

She finishes filling up the kettle and looks at me.

"Don't you know what day it is? Our first full moon in Newcastle, you should be excited. Coffee?"

Shit. With everything that happened yesterday, I completely forgot that tonight was full moon. She's so casual and positive, usually meaning she won the last argument with my dad.

"No thanks, I should probably get going."

"Of course. Have a good day sweetie. Make sure you get home before dusk, don't want you scaring off your friends with yellow eyes, do we?" she laughs before opening her newspaper.

I make an attempt to process what on earth just happened as I make my way out of the house. The front door shuts behind me and I'm stood alone in an empty driveway, still confused.

That was so weird.

--------------------------------

"Y/n? Is that you? Damn, someone was busy during the weekend."

I grin at Hannah's comment, who despite sitting in the opposite corner, has no problem loudly complimenting me as soon as I walk into the classroom. Needless to say it results in several heads turning my way, including the teacher's, who luckily doesn't care.

I join Hannah and Aria, who immediately leans in and whispers "See? I told you.", nodding in the direction of Matei and TJ. They mutter to each other and look at me. I reply by smiling sweetly and turning to Aria, who's taken aback by my actions.

I shrug casually. "Why not? It's not like I know them." I say confidently, my heart beating on a high.

What am I doing?

I can't stop myself. I know it's completely stupid, but being around these girls makes me feel like I can do anything. I can't help but enjoy it the freedom; I longed to reinvent myself and I have.

The lesson passes quickly and I'm forced to venture into the corridors alone for the first time. Despite going to this school for a week, the general bustle astounds me. I hug my bag close and weave my way through the gaps. The noise is almost too much to bear. Combined with the intense claustrophobia, it's enough to drive a wolfblood to insanity.

I reach the science lab without too much trouble and sit down in my seat. A fresh set of eyes are staring at me from practically all directions, making me awkwardly stare ahead at a poster on the wall.

How to use a Bunsen Burner

A man-made device to purposefully ignite a flame, like an industrial lighter, I guess. Last year my parents took me out of school for a whole week because my teacher said we'd use them at some point in class. It wasn't worth the risk.

I sigh and rest my head in my manicured hands. The teacher is talking about an experiment. Half my attention is on the lesson, the other half on the boy who I can sense two seats behind me.

I gaze out of the window, thinking of how I have nothing to think about.

Thinking about my family only makes me feel frustrated and alone.

Thinking about my friends makes me feel like the odd one out, even if I'm secretly enjoying it.

Thinking about Matei Covaci just makes me flat out confused.

I stare blankly at the lined paper in front of me. Fuck this, what the hell am I doing?

The teacher talks about chemical reactions and goes to the back of the classroom, where an awfully familiar piece of equipment is set up.

Oh god.

Oh shit.

I hear Matei asking to be excused, but I can't draw my attention away from the Bunsen Burner due to sheer panic.

He gets up and shoots me a look as he passes my row. He's telling me to leave, obviously, I know that but- I can't just leave! I don't have the social skills to make it seem like it's nothing.

Before I can persuade myself to raise my hand, I hear the gas hissing, the flare of orange, and the sound of my heart rate doubling.

I stumble off my chair without realising, unable to draw my eyes away from the flame. I need to get out of here before I completely wolf out.

Half the class are watching me by now, and I think the teacher asked me a question.

"Can- can I leave for a minute please?"

She nods and I waste no time in picking up my bag and exiting, trying not to have a panic attack. As soon as I'm out I sink down the wall to the floor and rake my hands through my hair, breathing rapidly.

I need to calm down.

Someone approaches and squats down to my level. They say something which I comprehend as white noise. I take their outstretched hand and get pulled into this stranger's arms.

My eyes are still wide and teary, my breathing far from normal, but somehow I feel safe. The scent is comforting, and I recognise it from somewhere.

I'm told to sit down, and I more than happily comply. I sniff loudly and wipe away the tears under my amber eyes as he sits down next to me, not saying another word.

"I'm sorry" I mumble, trying to regain dignity. "You didn't need to- you know -do that."

He shrugs "It's okay. Not like anyone else would understand, right?"

"Right. Well, thanks." I smile at the boy who isn't even looking at me anymore.

An awkward silence follows, but I'm desperate to make this work. I need to say something...

"I'm y/n, by the way."

Seriously? That's the best I could do?

He looks at me with a face that I can only describe as "wow, you're odd ", before smiling and sticking out his hand.

"Matei."

I laugh slightly and shake his hand, but I can't seem to draw my eyes away from his face.

Holy shit, his smile...

He suddenly stands up.

"Come on."

"What? Where are we going?"

"Just somewhere. Or do you want to go back in there?" He asks, nodding towards the classroom.

I bite my lip nervously. What the hell am I getting myself into?

"...okay."