In Broad Daylight | Chapter 5

• • •

As the hours passed by, Kenshin and Yuki left to the markets at their own pace, and walked the crowded streets of Hokkaido. "Hey Yuki!" A civilian greeted the dark haired female from a distance.

Yuki smiled at the middle aged man, and gleefully waved her hand high in the air in order for him to see it. Kenshin smiled at how everyone knew one another in the area, and in his eyes, that fact was quite admirable.

"This is a very humble area, that it is." Kenshin remarked. Yuki nodded her head, "It really is! Everybody knows everybody here!" She grinned.

As they passed by a series of markets, Yuki pointed towards a fish stand, causing Kenshin to follow her. "Oro? Is this where you get your fish from, that is?" Asked Kenshin.

The dark haired female nodded, "Mm-hm, Mrs. Okamoto brings in fresh fish every morning." She explained to the red head.

Kenshin 'Ahhhh'ed' in understanding, "I see, that I do."

As they walked peacefully amongst the crowd, Kenshin's voice spoke up and broke their silence. "Yuki-Dono?" He called, grabbing her attention.

"Why are you offering me to stay for a meal, that is? Are you not frightened by letting a stranger inside your house?" He asked, for his mind was very curious to know.

Yuki smiled, "Why should I be frightened? You have no bad intentions, do you?" She turned to him. Kenshin shook his head, "That I do not."

"Alright, then I have no reason to be scared."  She simply replied, holding the basket of ingredients in her grasp.

Kenshin frowned, 'I am afraid that I will bring you trouble, Yuki-Dono. You do not deserve that, that you do not.' He thought to himself, his fingers outlining the shape of his scar.

"Oi, Kenshin! Are you allergic to any type of food? I don't want to accidentally poison you." Yuki turned to him and softened her eyebrows as she stopped in her tracks.

Kenshin pulled himself from his thoughts, "Oro? Ah, that I am not!" He chuckled lightly. Yuki nodded her head proudly and walked beside him; Which made him see how small she was compared to him.

Yuki's head reached his shoulder, and Kenshin was surprised because he himself was quite a small person.

As they walked deeper into the market area, the wind blew Yuki's light pink Kimono backwards, whilst her hair blew to the front effortlessly.

"Strong wind, yes?" She chuckled amusedly. "That it is." Kenshin replied.

After a few moments of comfortable silence, Kenshin spoke up. "Yuki-Dono, would it be alright if this one carried the basket, that is?" He asked sweetly.

Yuki turned to him, "Huh? Oh, no! Please, tha-"

"I insist, that I do."

Smiling, Yuki did not protest further and gave him the light basket which consisted of all the ingredients they had just bought.

"Thank you, Kenshin!" She gratefully bowed. And after telling her that there was no need for thanks, the two's voices have quieted down, and only the chattering of civilians was heard from a distance.