Epilogue

M O N T H S L A T E R...

It was an afternoon with many plans ahead, the sun was resting gracefully in the sky, and the gang sauntered down a path as the surroundings were lively.

Kenshin, Yahiko, Kaoru, Sanosuke, Megumi, Tae and Tsubame were walking a single path towards a graveyard, a silence ensuing.

"It's been 3 months already, huh?" Sanosuke said out of the blue.

Kenshin nodded at his comrade with a smile, "That it has."

A comfortable silence ensues.

"I hope she's happy up there..." Tsubame says with a slight frown. "I'm sure she is! I mean, all people who did good while they're alive usually are, right?" Yahiko asks.

Sanosuke smacks his head, "Idiot."

The boy growls in anger, "Why, you littl-"

"Can you just shut up for a while? We're in a graveyard, be more respectful." Kaoru tells them sternly.

Kenshin and the rest took in the comfortable silence; Birds chirping, greenery rustling with the wind, and the faint sounds of footsteps echoing in the distance.

"Ah, we're here, that we are." Kenshin smiles softly as he sees a grave which had Yuki's full name on it.

The red head gestured for everyone else to take their time to talk to her, whilst in his mind remembering her beautiful presence when she once walked these streets.

Yahiko gauchely bent down on one knee, "Uh, hey..." He fiddled with his hair.

After everyone spoke their hearts out to Yuki, it was Kenshin's turn to meet with the woman who first took him in.

"It's a lovely afternoon, isn't it, Yuki-Dono?" The red head asked, and everyone soon gave him his space to speak freely.

Kenshin sighed softly, a smile stretching onto his face. "I dreamt about you, that I did. It was months ago, but this one still remembers it perfectly, that he does." He told her.

"It was while I ventured Hokkaido, and I was desperate for shelter, that I was. We where met the same way, that we were, however, you were much younger," He smiled at the memory of the dream.

Soon, the breeze collided with his hair and clothing and swayed simultaneously with the wind. "You were 18, that you were. And Jiro and Tadashi were merely your comrades, that they were. But, you were as beautiful as a cherry blossom," Kenshin smiled. "You were the last Heir to your family's clan, and you hated me, that you did." He chuckled.

"However, your eyes saw me differently after your attempt of assassinating me." Even though all of this was a dream, Kenshin, somehow, could feel her figure in his arms.

"I admired you, that I did. And this one knows you were in pain..." The red head frowned.

"Even though you suffered, I know you're happy up in the skies, that you are." He looked up, and smiled as the clouds cleared a space for Kenshin to see a very dear face.

"...With Tomoe." He closed his eyes, and his expression softened.

A comfortable silence ensues.

Kaoru and the gang notice Kenshin's quiet figure, and the sapphire-eyes girl could not help but walk up the red head in concern.

"Kenshin, are you alright?" She asks worriedly.

The samurai took a moment to respond, before a low chuckle escaped his lips as his soft amethyst eyes met Kaoru's. "That I am..." He gets up, and walks in front of her as a gesture of his departure. "...Kaoru-Dono."

And so, with no second thoughts, they all walk away...

Without a frown, and with the happiest ending to commence.

THE END.

And there, was the ending of The Rose Of The Meiji Era! 😃

I thank you all so much for your much appreciated patience and commitment to the story! 😘

I apologise EVER so deeply for the long, long wait! 😭

If it wasn't for you, I would have never finished this 😌

If you read 'till the end, be sure to comment,

"Comb!"

Thank you all so much! 🌷🙏

And make sure you stick around for more stories that are yet to come!

For the time being,

Mei Shen out! 👻