Chapter Eight

-not edited-
-------------------

I was up the whole night.

Tossing and turning, I slept on the floor. I volunteered to do it, and so did Thalia. The three girls slept on the bed.
I kept rolling over, adjusting my pillow and trying to keep the short blanket covering my feet. I had nightmares the other night and I'd rather not have them again. I had dreams about viewing my mom and dad, and dreams about seeing my friends.

I looked up at the ceiling. The dim nightlight in the corner reflected on the walls with an eerie red and green light. Wondering if that was a hazard for us, since we could totally electrocute ourselves, I turned over. I saw Thalia staring at me, wide awake. I jumped a little bit, and she grinned slightly.

"Hey," she whispered.

"Hey," I replied, smiling. It was good to just see her, instead of all of us together. In the last twenty four hours I began considering her as a sister.

"I think I'm the one Jason wants to share the bed with," she frowned.

"Yeah. You have been here longer," my smiled faded away. Now every night I'd have to be with the three girls. It wasn't what I wanted.
But after all, have I really gotten anything I wanted?
I wanted to ask her what he whispered in her ear after dinner, but I didn't ask.

"Jason told me something," She explained, gripping her blanket.

"What was it?" I asked. I think she referred to the secret.

"He said that if we- if I could please him, then he could let us outside. Just for a little bit."

"That could be our escape," I recommended. I wondered what she meant by please...

"No!" she yelled. All the girls sprang up from the bed.

"What's going on?" Jenna asked, crossing her arms and rubbing her shoulders. It wasn't that cold in here, so I don't know why she was doing that.

"Nothing," I said,"go back to bed girls. You need sleep."

They each gave a slight shrug and went back to sleep.

I turned back to Thalia. She was asleep, and I wondered how she went that fast.
I also wondered why she said no. Did she have that thing- I don't know what it was called, starkhole syndrome? No- Stockholm syndrome. When you fall in love with your kidnapper- does she not want us to leave?

I watched too much Criminal Minds to know what it is.

+++

I finally went to sleep. Lord, it felt good. Until my dream.

I sank into the river, screaming and crying. Water sucked into my nostrils, making the pain intense. I lashed around in the water, but the pain became more increased. I was drowning, and I would die.
It faded into my house, with my friends and family. I looked at them and they said nothing. My mom was in the corner of the room screaming and crying, while my father rubbed his temples and cried silently. My friends sat on the couch, frustration and sadness plastered on her faces.
I was in the other side of the room.

"Where is she!" My mother cried into the phone.

"We are sorry, ma'm, we are doing our-" someone spoke. I wondered if it was the police.

"Well try harder!" she screamed, and then hung up.

"Mom!" I cried out,"Guys, I'm here!"

They didn't look at me. I sighed in frustration. Why didn't the hear me?

"Dad!" I screamed. But my dream began fading, and then it came back.

"What's wrong, dear?" My mom said.

I dropped my jaw and looked at her. Blood was all over her face. Cuts and bruises scarred her forehead and chin. A smile was on her face, like nothing was wrong. The room was pitch black, but I could see her face clearly.

"Mom! I'm here!" I pleaded.

"No you're not," she smiled.

"Yes I-"

"You're dead."

Then, I woke up, screaming as loud as I've ever yelled before.