Chapter Sixteen

Two Weeks Later

Four more newspapers were found by Jenna. Each of them containing more pleading from Ella's, Jenna's, and Gabby's parents.

None with Thalia. I felt pretty sad that they totally forgot about her, but maybe she was from another state. I didn't bother to ask.

It's been a month since I've been gone. I still cried every night. Jason never touched me as bad as he did that night... he even apologized once, about how he should have let me prepare or something. I was ready to run and grab a knife to stab him. I wondered how he made dinner without any knives in the house, but that was a different story.

This morning, I had been especially excited to see the new newspaper Jenna or Gabby had found. They were always upstairs. A few nights ago Jason had gotten up after hearing footsteps. I knew it was them, searching through the house, desperate for any clues. I knew I'd have to distract Jason as well.

He was ready to walk out, when I pretended to wake up from a nightmare. Screaming and trying my hardest to fake tears, it brought his attention. I thought about everything that has happened, including the newspapers of my disappearance. That brought real tears flowing.

Jason rushed over to hug me. Wrapping his arms around me, I could feel his bear chest pressing against me. He only wore boxers and nothing else, which made me extremely uncomfortable. I wanted to be able to wake up with someone I loved, not someone who is forcing me to.

"It's okay, Alana, it was only a dream," he whispered, cupping my cheek. He wiped the tears away with his thumbs as I continued crying and coughing. He kissed my cheek then was about to run off to the door again, when I started crying harder.

"Please- Don't- Leave- Me-" I sniffled. I couldn't let him find out about Jenna and Gabby. I told them if I ever screamed, they should leave quickly. But I knew they wouldn't listen to me, so I prayed they wouldn't burst through.

He sighed, looking into my eyes.

"Alright, I'll stay," he smiled. He got into the bed as I scooted over, hoping he wouldn't try touching me. But then, he wrapped his arms around me, making only one choice to lean on his chest. I sat beside him until I couldn't take it. I had to fall asleep. I had to get out of his grasp. I finally heard him snore, so I twisted my body and his arms loosened, sliding down to my thighs. I lifted up his hands and set them on his chest.

But today I hadn't experienced much of Jason. He was already gone after staying home from work for the past couple days. I wish I was able to work at the small snack shop as I did every summer, or to go to the lake again. I wanted to be with my friends, go to the mall, have sleepovers. It was of course the small things that hit me hard.

I didn't dare exploring today, mainly because everything was now always locked. Instead I walked into the girls' bedroom.

"Good morning, Alana," Jenna smiled. Today she wore a light pink dress with a blue cardigan.

"Good morning as well," I laughed.

She set a new newspaper on the bed.

"I didn't look through this one yet," Jenna said,"I wanted you to be with me."

I nodded, picking up the newspaper. She looked onto the paper as I turned for another article. More pages were turned. Still no article of us.

"Are you sure there isn't a page missing?" I asked.

"Yes. It was unwrapped already, so I'm guessing we are far out in the country, where Jason would have to go into town to get the news," she frowned.

It all came together. He was checking the news for any clues, to make sure we wouldn't be found. I wanted to cry.

What a monster.

I flipped through the pages. Still nothing.

But then, every thing came so fast. A knock on the door sent Gabby and Thalia, who still were in the bunks, lifting their heads up. It had Jenna whip the newspaper behind her back, and it made me almost shake in fear.

Jason.

---

Hey all! New chapter!

Please please please vote and provide feedback! Thanks so much for making it this far.

Newspapers and possible whiplash

-Téa