Chapter Twenty

Woohoo! I had made a goal of 15k in chapter fourteen, and guess what?

It's finally here! :)

Happy mothers day to all those kids that got their mom(s) nothing!

This is an extra long chapter, for all you happy Sunday people here!
-----

Not edited!!!

It was finally here. The day of the picnic.

Jason all told us to sit in the living room. It had creme colored walls and wood floors. The coffee table in the middle was wooden with an old golden trim around the edges. We sat around it, two of us on one couch, three more on the larger one. None of us dared to speak.

Thalia was convinced officially that she liked Jason- it had been two months ago since the newspapers. Meaning I'd been here for three months.
And today was around the day Thalia had been abducted, nine months ago.

Abducted used to be a word I thought I'd never say. Nor was it ever a word people would have to come across when they asked where I was.

While Jason was making lunch, I leaned my head against the back of the couch. I thought about these last two months. I never received anymore flashbacks.

But the most horrible thing that's happened to me.

He did it again, not as punishment, but just to do it to me.
Four more times. I pulled my legs against my chest and hugged them. Jenna touched my shoulder comfortingly, so I shot her a smile.

Today was the day we would have to escape. I would have to go out there, and look quickly to find a hole, or a doorway.

***

In the past weeks Ella had gotten crazier. She claimed she'd seen things, seen people. It was going too far, but we try to keep her from Jason. I didn't want him killing her because he could see she was insane.

Jenna nudged me in the arm.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"If we don't make it out, or one of us dies, just know that you will always be a sister to me."

I looked at her and nodded. We became really close in the last few weeks. I couldn't imagine loosing her..

I was fearful of getting punished. If Jason found out our attempts to escape, then I think I would never be allowed to see them again. I stared at the bolted windows, only seeing dark light past through. From the outside, it must only look like shaded windows, when behind, they are bolted and shut.

I wanted to go outside so bad. It had to be August, a time where school would start soon. I hadn't counted the days, but I tried my best.

To keep track of the events, I found a notebook in the kitchen. I had to use a soft point pen, because Jason wouldn't dare let me use a sharp one.
I write everyday in it, songs, poems, and anything of my mood. I try to write stories of what my life could be when I'm older, but-

My mine is totally blank.

Jason walked in. There was a basket flung over his shoulder. He had a blanket rolled up in the other.

"Alright girls, are you all ready?" he cheered. Thalia smiled at him and giggled. I nodded.

Ella was here as well, since Jason forced her to go or else he'd punish her.
I was so excited to see the light, I couldn't help but shake. I wanted to be able to pray outside, to know that God was able to actually answer me.
(A/N: Please no hate if you are atheist. Be nice to me, and I'll be nice to you!)

"Here," he handed the blanket to me, and the bag to Jenna. He looked at her for a long time. Then, his eyes turned back to the door as he got out some kind of key. The room we were in led right to the door. He opened up each lock, and finally, he twisted the knob. I wanted to sprint out the door and lay my head down on the grass. I wanted to be with my older brother and- and..

My older brother.

As soon as Jason opened the door, I shot out of the house. It was so bright that I covered my eyes and moaned in pain. I've never seen something so bright in my entire life. Everything was pure white. I could feel the hem of my dress press against me as the wind pushed me.

I felt wind. I could feel the grass between my sandals. I could feel the warmth of the sun.

"Alana!" Jason gasped,"Do not run out of the house! That is not proper!"

I didn't care though. I opened my eyes, squinting at my surroundings. At this point I didn't worry about escaping, I worried about being outside.

"Alana!" Jenna ran to me. I saw her blue dress and a blur. She was squinting as I got closer to her, and then she embraced me.

"We are free," she cried.

"Girls! Come here," Jason shouted. We played along, running to his side. We set up the blanket and put out the food. Jason said we may look around, but that was it.

I finally got used to the light. I opened up my eyes to see the sharp green blades of grass. I looked up, and all I saw was fence. He had us perfectly trapped. I wanted to scream. Jenna stood beside me, her stress visible. Gabby was on the other side of me, sighing at the sight.

"We have to," I told them.

"Get over the fence? Alana, it's higher than any fence I've ever seen!" Jenna said. Jason was too busy talking to Thalia to even notice where we were.

"I did hurtles and high jump, before everything," Gabby uttered. I could tell she was being reminded of her past.

"I could lift you up,"I offered.

"No," Jenna piped in, sobbing,"Just let it be."

"Our freedom is on the line!" I informed her.

"So is our lives!" She divulged.

"There isn't any point in fighting!" Gabby vociferated.

Then I did what I had to do.

Our lives are on the line, I told myself, and our freedom.

I ran to the wall, jumping up to grab the top of it. Luckily, I got hold of it, swinging my foot to the side. I heard angry screaming and crying from behind me. I'm sure Jason was aware by now. I looked around again, squinting for any signs of a way.

There. I saw it. There was a latched door, I knew I could get through.

I jumped down. I began sprinting to the latched door, footsteps behind me pounded onto the grass. But I kept running, my sandals rubbing against my ankles. I heard a loud gunshot. I felt a sharp pain in the back of my shin.
I fell down, screaming in pain. I clutched my calf, blood filling into my hands. I let out another massive scream, pain going up my leg. I started crawling to the door, only a few feet away. I reached for the door handle, but felt another brutal ache in my leg .I turned around to see that I was shot again, a few inches from the last bullet. I screamed, trying to stop the blood from flowing.

It was all adrenaline now.

I continued crawling, crying out in pain as the door was only a few inches away. My finger tips grazed the wood as I gently pulled it open, more pain shooting through up to my torso. I saw woods as I opened the door, and pure sunlight. I tried to cry. But I couldn't. I was so close from coming out.

I grew closer to a tree, but then felt something tug my leg. It was Thalia, dragging me back in. I screamed in pure torture as she gripped my calves, squeezing my two bullet wounds. I flipped my body around, tugging and kicking as she dragged me.

"Thalia! Stop, please!" I begged.

"We can't leave," she said softly, dragging me towards the entrance as Jason came into view.

"Oh, my sweet Alana," He smiled, holding a pistol in his hand.

I slowed down, my aching body turning limp. I turned to him.

I was going to die.

"My favorite cloud in the sky," he whispered directly to me,"Is going to stay here, forever."