Chapter 13

The rest of the week flew by as the morning rose. The air was heavy with tension as we all got ready for the day. Naruto was passed out and Kakashi Sensei told us to leave him alone. He'll join us when he's rested. He was still out and recovering from the excessive use of his chakra and stamina.

The bridge was close to being done yet we haven't had any more encounters. I've trained long and hard to perfect my Byakugan in case Zabuza showed up. Since today we were all going to protect Tazuna while he finished the bridge. Only a few more days left before the bridge was completely done. I could feel the muscles in my shoulders were tense even though we were still in the comfort of our current housing, these nerves were a little more intense than I expected.

Kakashi walked over to me and placed his hands firmly on my shoulders. I looked up at him in surprise and he responded with a warm, soft smile under his mask.

"Mizuki, it'll be alright. I've been watching every single one of you as you train day in and day out. You are all in top condition for whatever situation comes our way." I felt my shoulders begin to ease up with every word he spoke. He was right, we've been doing the best we can during this past week and we'll just have to make sure that we're prepared for anything.

"Sasuke and Sakura. We're all a part of a team and that means that we all work together to protect each other. Naruto is still recovering but that doesn't exclude him from this conversation, we're completing this mission together." We all beamed with a newfound determination and prepared to set out for the bridge. I wasn't sure what to expect when we got there, but my gut was telling me to prepare for the worst. I haven't been able to get Zabuza out of my head this entire time, there's an ominous feeling that I just can't shake but I guess I'll just have to face this feeling head on.

*************************************************
As we got to the bridge, I could tell something was wrong. It was too quiet. There should've been  sounds of chatter from other builders and tools meeting with metal. I noticed everyone tense up as we rushed towards the bridge.

I was shocked to see the other builders groaning in pain. I was tempted to go forward and see if they needed medical treatment but a hand stopped me. I looked up to see Kakashi-sensei. He looked lost in thought yet he stopped me from moving towards the builders. There must be danger, nearby.
I readied myself to move and prepared to grab a kunai at any moment's notice. I noticed a mist beginning to gather around us, startling me as it began to envelope our surroundings. The pressure was familiar as I felt fear creeping in. Zabuza!

"Mizuki, Sasuke, Sakura! Get ready!" Kakashi yelled, pulling me out of my thoughts. I shook my head quickly getting into formation. I pulled out a kunai, ready to defend.
"Sorry I kept you waiting Kakashi. I see you still got those brats with you. That one's still trembling." Zabuza's voice filled the area. I looked over to see Sasuke's hand was trembling. I smiled, it wasn't out of fear.
I glanced around only to be surprised to see clones of Zabuza surrounding us.
"Heh, I'm trembling with excitement!" I heard Sasuke say.
"Go on Sasuke!" I heard Kakashi-sensei say before the clones surrounding us got ready to pounce.
I barely saw Sasuke as he struck down every clone before standing neatly next to me. I noticed Zabuza step out of the mist, I was momentarily shocked to see the tracker ninja next to him. So he was with Zabuza all along...
"Look like you got a rival Haku."
"It would seem so." The guy known as Haku responded.
The next thing I saw was a whirlwind coming towards me. I readied my kunai as I tried to predict his next move. Before I could move, Sasuke stepped in and stopped the whirlwind that was Haku as they clashed. They parried each other's attacks and all I could see was the sparks from their weapons spray out in just a matter of seconds. I knew I was ready to defend Tazuna and the rest of our team but Sasuke was itching for a rematch against Zabuza, but it looks like Haku was his new opponent.
They both skidded to a halt in their crouched stances, their muscles easily prepared to jump back into the fray.
"You're not half bad...now get out of my way. You're not the one I'm after," Sasuke stared at Haku with a firm look stating that this was their only chance to back away. Haku didn't move an inch and the silence only seemed to feel stronger with all his expressions hidden behind that simple, white mask.
"I'm sorry, but I won't let you lay a hand on my master. I suggest that you and your teammates leave now, while your lives are still intact." Sasuke's face immediately turned into one filled with anger; he was mocking us, calling us weak. Zabuza began to crack his neck and picked up his giant blade, neatly placing it on top of his right shoulder.
"Haha well Haku, that was nice of you. You were kind enough to give them the option to leave. So, how about it Kakashi? You can all leave nice and easy now and I won't have to spill a single drop of your blood." There was a suffocating silence that seemed to hang in the air after Zabuza finished speaking.
"No way! We won't back down from a mission! Who the hell do you think we are?!" I yelled out. I was tired of them treating us like pathetic weaklings.
"Looks like I'll have to agree with my student. You're looking at some of the strongest students from the Village Hidden in the Leaves. Sasuke is our number one fighter, Sakura has one of the sharpest minds, Naruto is the number one knuckle-headed ninja, and Mizuki is a prodigy in the making. Don't look down on us." Without a second's notice, Kakashi appeared right in front of Zabuza and they immediately began to parry each other's moves at a blinding speed.
"What a great speech Kakashi. You better hope those kids are as good as you say they are." He disappeared into a puff of smoke. 
I closed my eyes, focusing my chakra to my eyes. I opened my eyes when I felt the familiar pulsation of my veins around my eyes. My vision expanded to see everything from Kakashi-sensei rushing towards us to Sasuke continuing his battle with Haku as well as Sakura and Tazuna behind me. I saw the water behind Tazuna morph into Zabuza. Water Clone!
I won't let Sensei's words about us be false. I'll prove we are stronger than we look! I used my body flicker technique to get behind Tazuna before the clone attacked, jabbing my kunai right into the water clone's sternum. The clone burst into water falling to my feet.
I looked over to see Kakashi-sensei had stopped the real Zabuza from reaching us. "Sorry, but you'll have to get through me first."
Zabuza smiled, he threw shurikens directly at Sasuke so I reacted by throwing mine to counter them. Before they could reach each other, a group of senbon needles hit both of our weapons canceling our attacks.
"Haku, what is the meaning of this?"
"Sorry, but I wish to handle them myself," Haku told him, making me look over at Haku in disbelief. Does he seriously think he can?
"Mizuki, I trust that you can handle this. Sakura, keep up the good work," Kakashi smiled over at us briefly before facing Zabuza.
"Fine, I'll at least keep them busy while you finish him," he said, before making more clones appear, surrounding us.
I won't let you down Sensei! I rushed towards the closest clone, striking it down. It was like being ambushed again except this time I was prepared. I smiled as I threw my kunai towards Sakura, barely missing her as it embedded into the clone that was sneaking up on them. Sakura let out a small scream of surprise as the clone burst apart and splattered into a puddle.
I focused back on the swarm of clones after seeing that Sasuke was still handling Haku. He seemed to be doing fine. I'll be right there!
My palm connected with the clone sending it flying into another clone. Their bodies collided against one another and immediately disappeared, but I heaved a sigh as I found myself surrounded once more. All the new clones were nowhere near Tazuna and Sakura as far as I could tell. I'd better finish them off before going to help Sasuke.
I readied my stance waiting for them to spring forward. Once they reached the boundaries of my trigram, I began expanding my chakra outwards. They sprung forward at all angles making me smirk. Haven't they learned that won't work? I spun on my toes, creating a vortex of chakra that the clones had no way to break through. I slowed to a stop, watching the streaks of water fall to the ground. I felt victorious! I was so excited that my technique worked that I failed to notice one clone behind me until I heard Sakura scream my name. I looked behind me to see a clone flying towards me. I was momentarily shocked, I didn't have time to make a complete dodge!
Damnit, I got ahead of myself! I thought as I tried to move when I saw a blonde and orange blur behind the clone, striking it down and sending streaks of water my way.
I had never felt so relieved to be saved. I let out a sigh of relief when Naruto stood in front of me. He had a pleased smile on his face.
"Thanks," I smiled back before focusing back to Tazuna and Sakura to make sure they were okay. I was glad to see that they were.
"Anytime, Mizuki!" he said before his expression got serious as he stared behind me.
I looked over to see Sasuke surrounded by... mirrors? That couldn't be good. If they were mirrors then that means you can shatter them. Not just from the outside but maybe the inside... I tried to think it through only to hear Naruto's battle cry as he ran past me.
"Wa-wait, Naruto!" I yelled before running after him. I tried to stop him by reaching my hand out to grab his collar but he turned around to face me so suddenly I nearly collided against him.
"I've got an idea!" he smiled, taking my outstretched hand and the next thing I knew we were inside the mirrors! I was completely flabbergasted at what had just happened. This was not good!
"We came to save you!" Naruto yelled over to Sasuke
"I'm not a part of this plan. Don't include me in it!" I scowled, not facing them as I looked for any weaks points in the mirrors but there were none. How is that possible? If only one of us was outside the mirrors then we could test out my theory. Break one from the outside AND inside.
I saw Kakshi-sensei try to run over to us but Zabuza got in front of him before he could.
"Sorry, but aren't you the one that said that they can handle themselves? Besides, I'm your opponent."
"Here you will all die." Haku said, appearing all around us in each one of the mirrors. What the hell?!
He got three senbon needles ready in his hand as did the rest of the mirrors. Why can't I see which one was the real one!? There's no way he can be in every mirror at once.
I expanded my chakra outward keeping Sasuke and Naruto inside my chakra. I tried hard to control the chakra from repelling them along with the oncoming needles but it was a lot harder than I expected considering I had just gotten the hang of it. Dammit! I need to expand it more but I can barely hold it together.
"What's happening? This chakra feels like it's tugging at me. " I heard Naruto call out but I couldn't say anything.
Haku threw the needles at every angle, and I barely managed to keep my chakra wall up. I felt a wave of dizziness set in when I could put the wall of chakra down. I almost fell forward but I bit my lower lip and forced myself to stand my ground. There was no way I was going to back down.
"Mizuki, was that you?" Naruto asked, I barely managed to nod without passing out. I tried to take deep breaths.
"Impressive. However, I see that it has left you weak..." Haku said readying another round of senbon needles. Before I could react, needles began to rain down on me from all directions, tearing away at my body.
I let out screams of agony before my body fell forward. I turned my head to see both Sasuke and Naruto had also been struck down. I stretched my hand towards them when I saw that they were hurt. I felt my Byakugan fade as I stared at them before I noticed my vision getting darker. The amount of chakra I had been using was too much at one moment and all the cuts had started making me lose blood.
"Mizuki, wake up!" Naruto called out, snapping me out of the darkness. What happened? My vision focused to see Naruto hovering over me with a soft and relieved expression on his face.
"You're okay! You passed out for a moment there. Come on, we gotta think of a way to escape. I won't let us die here! I promise I'll get us out of here alive!" Naruto vowed, his expression was filled with determination. I smiled as I forced my body to get up.
"You're alive..." he said as if unimpressed. I looked over at him.
"Sasuke, double fire power." I looked over at him. He smiled at me immediately, getting what I was saying. I smirked back. I hoped this worked! I was running low on chakra but if this battle kept dragging on, there was no way we were making it out alive.
"What do I do?"
"Can you help in creating a distraction?" I asked.
"You got it!" Naruto yelled before making  a swarm of clones and jumped forward to grab Haku's attention.
"Now!" I formed the fire hand seal before taking in a deep breath at the same time as Sasuke and released the fireball in roar. Both our flames merged together expanding into a giant mass of intense and blazing flames. I huffed in ragged breaths, taking a few steps back until I was standing next to Sasuke.
I was shocked to see that it didn't even do anything! Not a single crack! The looks on our faces were filled with absolute surprise and a tinge of hopelessness was starting to creep in.
"You'll need much more heat than that to break these ice mirrors," Haku said before sending a new barrage of  senbon needles howling at us. Most of them didn't sink into our skin, but the rest of them made sure to cut any piece of flesh they could find. We all fell backward in pain and I tried to think of another strategy but there was nothing that I could think of to win. I had never felt so weak before. This guy was another league!
"If there're a hundred mirrors, then I'll just have to make a hundred of me to smash them all! Then I'll find where you are!" I heard Naruto yell out before rushing in to attack.
"No, dont!" Sasuke and I yelled at the same time,
Haku left the mirror briefly before he became a blur in the air. I tried to see his movement but I couldn't follow him. Next thing I saw was Naruto landing beside us.
"I couldn't break through. So what?" Naruto said, making me look over at him in surprise at his statement. "He's not going to stop me! I'm not giving up and I'm not going to lose here. I have a dream and no one's going to take it away from me. Someday, I'll be respected in my village. That's my dream, to be the greatest Hokage!"
Why does he have such strong convictions? What makes him strive for the respect of our village?
"It was not my desire to be a shinobi. It's a path filled with pain and misery. I don't want to kill you, but if you advance...I will have no choice." Haku's voice snapped my focus back to him. "If you still wish to defeat me, then I will kill the kindness in my own heart and fully embrace the shinobi way. There will be no mercy. No turning back."
His words struck something within me. Papa didn't want this life for me either. Was it because I would have to lose my humanity?
"This bridge will be the battlefield where our dreams collide. Now I must fight for my dream just as you fight for yours. Please do not blame me, for I fight for someone who is precious to me. I live for him and I face death for him so that his dream may become a reality. That is my dream and for the sake of that dream, if I must, I will act as a shinobi and take your lives."
I gritted my teeth. I felt Sasuke and Naruto tense up as we stared down Haku while he readied his senbon needles once more. He is on a whole other level. We don't have the instinct to kill but he does. The only thing we have is the desire to win. I needed to survive, I can't die here. We can't die here.
"Then I'll keep on trying!" Naruto yelled out before summoning more shadow clones before I even had time to react or stop him. Just like before, Haku became a blurr who once again struck down Naruto and his clones.This time he stopped briefly behind Naruto and shifted his focus onto Sasuke.
I groaned as I stood back up. If only I could use the Sharingan at will, at least then we might actually stand a chance! Naruto just kept using his shadow clones no matter how many times it failed but I could see that Sasuke had come up with something. I pulled out a kunai so I could at least deflect some of the senbon needles.
Just as Naruto's clone rushed to each mirror, I saw Sasuke use his fireball jutsu making Haku freeze in midair. I realized then what Sasuke was trying to do! I focused on Naruto, ready to assist once Sasuke gave me a clue on what to do next. Sasuke let out another fireball towards Haku just in time to get the tip of his pants just as Haku struck down the real Naruto. I didn't think before I threw myself up towards Naruto wrapping my arms around his torso in an effort to lessen the force.
I skidded to a stop next to Sasuke with Naruto held tightly against me. He was getting too hurt but I couldn't just treat his wounds in the middle of the ice mirrors. I loosened my arms when I felt that he was breathing pretty hard. Helping him stand, we stood facing Haku once more.
"Naruto, can you do it again?" Sasuke asked, making me look at him in bewilderment. Naruto's exhausted! But then again, we all were. We needed to push past our limits if we were gonna make it out of this alive.
"Of course!"
"We need to hurry up and end this, we're running ourselves ragged." I whispered to them with concern filling the tone of my voice.
"I know. Assist Naruto. I got a plan." Sasuke said looking over at me. I nodded, putting my hands focusing my chakra.
"Now get out! Both of you attack from the outside!" Sasuke yelled and without missing a beat, both Naruto and I ran forward. My kunai held firmly in my hand. It's time to end this!
Haku appeared in front of us in that very instant, kicking Naruto away, before also landing a kick to my abdomen and sending me backwards. I crashed to the ground, landing near Sasuke and Naruto.. If one of us could just get out, we could break the rest of us out.
I tried to get back up only to feel something pierce my leg, making me slide back down.
A sudden scream filled the sky, and I recognized it as Sakura. What the hell!? What's going on? Where is Kakashi-sensei?
"I know what I have to do now. Believe it!" Naruto yelled out, before letting out a strong burst of chakra and rushing forward.
"Behind you!" Sasuke yelled out, making me turn around in time to stop Haku's needles from reaching Naruto but he quickly slipped past and aimed towards him again. No!
I threw a kunai toward Haku, but barely missed him as he slipped back into the ice mirror. I could see that he was starting to aim at vital points now. I was too far from Naruto and Sasuke and I wasn't about to turn my back. I focused my chakra to try and expand my chakra outwards in the hopes that Rotation can at least make a crack in the mirrors. However, before I could expand, I felt two precise needles at my ankles. Causing me to fall down. Stopping my attack. A searing pain shot up my legs and I yelped out instantly. Aaaagghh! My ankles! I can feel my warm blood beginning to seep out.
I looked over at Sasuke to see him keeping up with Haku easily. He was protecting Naruto. Did he awaken the Sharingan?
"Come on get up, I can't keep protecting you."
"I never asked you too!" Naruto said, before falling backwards again.
I grabbed the needles and yanked them out as fast as I could so I wouldn't feel it hurt as much. That didn't do much, I still felt an agonizing pain but I pushed myself to my feet. I did my best to numb out the pain and make my way over to them.
"He has reached his limits but so have you!" Haku says from behind me.
"Jump!" Sasuke yelled at me. I jumped just in time along with Sasuke who had Naruto in his arms before needles landed where we were just at.
I landed near Sasuke and I was surprised to see the familiar red glow of the Sharingan staring back at me. I looked over at Naruto to see that he was still out. I needed to see that he was okay, I rushed towards him, not realizing that Haku was heading towards us.
I felt wind behind me and I looked over to see Sasuke standing in front of us with Haku at his feet. I heard Naruto groan in pain, making me look at him temporarily before focusing back on Sasuke.
"You always get in the way, Naruto. It never fails. You too, Mizuki. You're just as reckless..."
"Ah, you beat him Sasuke!" Naruto yells out happily but I felt like something was wrong. There was blood right in front of him. What happened?!
Sasuke looked over at us, blood dripping from his mouth. I was horrified as I stared at him and saw his body protruding with needles everywhere.
"You should see the look on your face. You- You look like a total loser."
"Why- Why did you... save us?" Naruto asked, his voice sounding shaky.
I was too stunned to say anything. "I don't know why, but I just did. I hated you."
"Then why save me? I didn't ask for this!"
"I don't know why. My body just moved. There was no time to think," he huffed out, standing tall but groaning in pain.
"He's still out there. My brother. I promised myself, I'd stay alive until I killed him. Naruto, don't let your dream die... Mizu-" he started to say before he let out another groan, falling back.
Instinctively, I reached out to catch him, my eyes growing wider with horror as my throat tightened that it felt like I was choking. His body lay still with dozens of steel needles extending from where they had pierced his flesh; blood seeped from the wounds and stained his clothes and skin.
"S-Sasuke?" I could barely form the words that left my mouth. I stared at Naruto as he stood over Sasuke with a grim look on his face that I knew all too well. We were both in shock but I just couldn't believe Sasuke was dead. There's no way this is happening. He'll get up right now, he's just hurt that's all.
Naruto continued to look down at Sasuke's body, his face even darker than it was a moment ago, "Sasuke. Get up." His voice was low and raspy as if he was trying to hold back all the emotions that were festering up inside of him.
"I said get up. Aren't you the one always telling me off for being weak?" he clenched his fists tightly when he didn't get a reply and I could feel my lips beginning to tremble. Sasuke's lifeless body began to look like my mother's and flashes of blood splattered on the floor began to fill my head. The dull look in their eyes were exactly the same and I felt my body go cold and the knots in my stomach tightened so hard that I could feel them trying to strangle me.
"What a shame, he had so much potential. He died protecting you. At least his death wasn't in vain," Haku's words rang out but I could barely hear them, they sounded muddled with the numbness running through me.
"Shut up." Naruto's voice was so low I barely caught what he said.
"It's understandable that you're angry but I'm only speaking the tru-"
"I SAID SHUT UP!" he cut off Haku with such an intensity that I flinched, I've never heard Naruto scream so fiercely. "You don't get to run your mouth off acting like everything is ok. You've spilled my friend's blood, now I'm going to spill yours." Naruto finished his words with a tone so dark it sent chills through my body.
The wind began to pick up around Naruto's body almost like it was trying to suck everything in his direction. I stared at him and I saw his pupils shape into slits and his irises change from their normal blue tint to a menacing red. Before my very eyes, a huge surge of energy had begun to circle around him; I didn't have my Byakugan on but I could see the sickly, orange chakra creating a vortex. The pressure was absolutely suffocating and it only got worse, it was like the malice was drowning all the oxygen in the air. Oh god, what the hell is going on? This chakra...it's so intense it's making me sick to my stomach. Is this...emanating from Naruto? I continued to stare over the swirling mass of sickening chakra formed the face of what looked like a fox. It's large, rippling form made my skin sprout with goosebumps all over.
"N-Naruto? What's going on with you?" I called over to him but my voice was drowned out by the amount of wind that had picked up in the area.
"AAAAHHHH!!!" Naruto screamed at the top of his lungs as if he was about to tear every single vocal cord attached under his skin.
He lunged at Haku as his body hung out from one of the ice mirrors, but his speed was unlike anything I've seen before. He skidded to a halt before lunging again at wherever he saw Haku appear next; Naruto's eyes looked animalistic, almost primal as he searched around him. There was this bloodlust radiating from him that I couldn't believe it was him. Naruto was my friend and the first person to make me feel welcomed when I was all alone and lost, but this was the first time I felt this feeling. I was completely terrified of him.
The chakra pouring out of his body was absolutely sickening and I could feel its crushing presence all around me.
Haku didn't hesitate regardless of the situation and sent a storm of needles flying towards Naruto but he just flung both his arms out and sent a shockwave of chakra. The needles were immediately repelled and the sheer strength of the shockwave was so intense that I knew it could shatter the mirrors. I continued to stare, watching Haku try to aim attack after attack towards Naruto however, Naruto was blindingly fast, faster than Haku.
I saw Haku try to make an escape towards one of the mirrors only to be stopped by Naruto. Who grabbed ahold of his wrist. Keeping him in place as Naruto let out an even stronger burst of chakra, cracking the ice mirrors, making some shatter completely sending shards towards Sasuke and I.
I threw myself on Sasuke to protect him from the shards. Naruto's chakra, engulfing us, it's intense pressure suffocating me once more. I didn't know what to do as I glanced over at Naruto, in time to see him throw his arm back, his fingers curled into a fist before he struck Haku in his face, sending him crashing through the mirror, shattering it as his body was flung outside of the mirrors. I stared wide eyed at Naruto as the rest of the mirrors cracked and shattered before dissolving as they hit the ground.
I felt my lips quiver in fear as Naruto ran after Haku, just as he was standing up. Launching himself into the sky as he prepared to throw another punch at Haku.
"Naruto! Stop!" I yelled out, tears rolling down my cheeks. I couldn't watch Naruto be like this anymore. I was scared and I didn't know what to do.
My eyes widened in disbelief when I saw Haku's face just as Naruto stopped, his fist mere inches from Haku. He was the guy from before...
Naruto looked over at me, his eyes locking with mine. I saw sadness cloud over his face as he changed back to the Naruto I knew. There was no hiding the fear I felt towards him and I knew he could see it.
I looked away from him and focused back on Sasuke. I glanced down at Sasuke's face wishing today didn't happen.
I have plenty of chakra to heal him and then some. I just needed to try and focus on doing that but the more I stared down at Sasuke, the more I became paralyzed in my fear.
"Mizuki."
I heard a voice call out to me but I was too lost in my mind to look up. I don't know how long I sat there staring at Sasuke, when I felt a stinging pain on my cheek, snapping me back to reality. I looked up to see Sakura staring at me.
"Get yourself together!" she urges, tears forming in her eyes.
"Right." I muttered, taking in a deep breath pushing my emotions to the back of my mind for now. "I need you to remove the needles. I'll work my way through."
"Got it!" Sakura says, getting ready to pull out one of the needles on Sasuke's body. I focused my chakra to my hands, feeling the familiar soothing warm chakra spreading. Sakura yanked out several needles at once and I quickly placed my hands over the wounds. Focusing on healing and closing the wounds. We made our way down slowly when I saw Sasuke's fingers twitch slightly. I felt relief flood my body as I continued working. My resolve was strong and Sakura helped move things faster.
After pulling out the last of the needles, I placed my hands on the last of the wounds, feeling them closing just as Sasuke stirred. He opened his eyes looking up at us kind of dazed. I felt tears flow down my cheeks as I wrapped my arms around Sasuke's torso.
I didn't lose him! Letting my tears soak into his chest not realizing that Sakura had wrapped her arms around Sasuke's neck. I was so happy that in that moment I forgot about everything.
"I can't breathe," Sasuke rasps out, making me let go of him instantly. I smiled, wiping my face with my sleeves.
"Come on, let's go to Kakashi-sensei. It sounds like the battle is over." I said, helping him up. Sakura put his arm over her shoulder to support his weight. I joined in and we all walked towards everyone. I noticed a weird looking guy with a cane walking towards Haku. I gasped, when I saw the guy poke Haku with his cane before kicking him. That is so wrong on so many levels!
I felt angry and sad that this man would do that. I tried to rush over only for Tazuna to grab me, keeping me in place. I heard Naruto scream, "get away!"
I looked over to see him run towards Haku and that man only for Kakashi sensei to grab him. "Hey, stop! Use your head!"
I huffed out in defeat, which made Tazuna loosen his arms as we continued to walk over to them.
"Well what about you Zabuza! You gonna let him do that!?
"Be quiet you fool! Haku's dead. What does it matter?"  Zabuza says, making me frown. Haku was his partner for years, how could he just not care?!
"What?! You mean you can just stand there and watch him get treated like a dog!? You and Haku were together for years! Does that mean anything to you?!" Naruto yells out angrily.
"His usefulness is at an end. His skill and strength meant something yes but the boy...nothing." Zabuza says, making me curve my fingers into fists in anger. How could Haku mean nothing to him?
I stared at Haku's body lying on the ground surrounded by the group of thugs and a picture of my mother popped up once more. This time in place of Haku. His blood reminded me of the blood that surrounded my mother's lifeless body. I felt my breath hitch as I continued to get lost. She meant everything to me! I lost everything I knew when she died!
Yet Haku lived for Zabuza, knowing he was nothing but a tool to him however loved him nonetheless. How could he just not care!? If this is the way of the Shinobi, then I don't want it! I won't embrace losing my humanity... like a coward. It's not right!
"Boy! Give me your kunai!"
I looked up surprised to hear Zabuza speak. I missed something. He looked ready to face the group. I glared at the man with the cane. My vision expanded as I channeled my chakra to my feet before I took off.
I don't care if it's not a direct order but I was going to help him!
"Mizuki!" Kakashi called out but I ignored him as I moved forward. I connected my palm to one of the groupies making him collide with one of the others directly behind him bringing them both down.  I managed to clear a path for Zabuza but that didn't stop the groupies from stabbing him with their weapons. However that didn't seem to stop Zabuza as he went after Gato. I dodged another attack before striking them behind the neck, knocking them out.
I looked up in time to see Zabuza plunge the kunai into Gato before slicing him up several times and thrusting him over the bridge with a final blow. I was stunned but I could see that everyone else was. There was no more fighting as Zabuza looked over at the group and they all immediately moved out of the way.
I deactivated my Byakugan as I stared at Zabuza. Sadness filled my heart as I saw him walk towards me before passing me and head towards Haku's body. I followed slowly behind but rushed forward when he fell on his knees. I lifted his arm over my shoulder and helped him back up. He was heavier than I expected but I refused to give up.
I looked over at Zabuza to see him looking at me as if surprised. He was our enemy and he literally just tried to kill us only moments ago, but Haku was different. He didn't deserve the life he was thrown into and Zabuza was able to be there for him when nobody else was, so this was the least I could do for them. I understand what it's like to be lost and alone; even one hand reaching out for help feels like a miracle. My mind flashed with Naruto's face and I felt sick to my stomach, he was my friend but all I could feel was fear when I thought of him now.
I didn't say anything as I did my best to walk him closer to Haku. After a moment of walking, I felt his weight shift and I looked up to see that he wasn't leaning all his weight against me. I smiled gratefully as we finally reached Haku. I gently sat him in front of Haku.
"Thanks kid. A piece of advice, watch out for that Uchiha kid, they have a history with hate. That's my only warning. I owe you at least that much after all of this." Zubaza said, making me look over at Sasuke. What does that mean?
Zabuza turned his gaze towards Haku, a single drop of snow landed on his arm. His face was filled with a gentle expression of sadness that shook me to my core.
"I'm sorry Haku, I don't think I'll be able to meet you up there. Find the happiness you deserve. Thank you...for everything." I stared at him with tears in my eyes as he laid there dead with last words holding the weight of his emotions for Haku.
With Gato dead, our mission was over. I sighed out, letting my muscle relax. It was a tiring day, too much had happened. I didn't know how to act around my best friend anymore and I knew I hurt Naruto's feelings when I flinched when he placed his hand on my shoulder. He was currently back to his normal self but I don't understand what happened. Why did he change so drastically?
"Who's going to pay us now?!" Someone yelled out. I looked up to see a small group of people still standing. Seriously!?
Just as they ran towards us, an arrow landed in front of them. I looked behind me to see the whole village gather there, ready to fight. I was impressed.
"Imma help out too!" Yells out Naruto, and out comes a group of Naruto clones. I noticed even Kakashi sensei used shadow clones. It was enough that the groupies ran away. Trying to escape by the boat nearby.
The village began celebrating as they watched them run away.
I couldn't make myself leave Zabuza and Haku. I looked at them one last time, letting the tears fall, just as snow began falling. I closed my eyes, crying silently. I never expected such an emotionally draining mission.
After a few moments, I felt a hand on my shoulder making me look up to see Kakashi-sensei looking at me. He didn't say anything before looking over at them.
I sighed with exhaustion as we walked back to the group. I walked past Naruto without looking up and headed straight towards Sasuke. I couldn't face Naruto just yet. I just couldn't get his blood-red eyes out of my head and the way his chakra seemed to wrap like hands around my throat was even worse.
I didn't say anything as I stood near Sasuke and Sakura.
"Go back to the house and rest up. Now that Gato's not an issue we'll be fine without you." Tazuna says.
"Sounds good but first I'll need some help to bury the bodies."
"We'll bury them at the top of the hill. So go and rest."
I began walking away from them. I felt so torn inside. I didn't even get the chance to bury mom... I left her there on the living room floor... Is she still there?
"Mizuki, wait up!" Naruto called out, but I quickly poofed away. I teleported to the forest and I stared out behind me to see Naruto in the distance with a fallen face. I could feel my heart being torn in two as the distance between us continued to grow. Fear and friendship were raging inside of me and the more I tried to make sense of these feelings, the less I understood. I'm sorry, Naruto... I just need time.