Five: Panic Mode

~Nikki~

March 17th, 2012

It’s been a ruff few months. Everything in my life has gone hay-wire. Collin and I can’t stop fighting, Misty and Collin can’t stop fighting, Liz is over here every waking hour of the day, and my parents say nothing to her. To make matters even worse, Clair and Chandler broke up. That seems like it would be good news. However, the moment Chandler told Elizabeth he was single, she pretty much jumped on him. So guess who Chandler is dating? That’s right. Liz.

As I waited for Page -a guy I’d met through Collin a few weeks ago- to get here, I sat in front of my computer, eyes slightly glazing over as I desperately tried to keep my eyes on the screen. But that’s a pretty hard task when the guy you’re in love with is being sexually harassed 10 feet away from you. 

“Do you mind?” I asked, cocking an eyebrow at the sickening couple. I could tell Chandler didn’t want her all over him, but he wouldn’t be rude and completely push her away. “You have a room, Chandler. Take her there. Or better yet, go to her house.” I snapped at him.

Chandler attempted to gently push Liz away for what seemed like the 100th time. She clearly wasn’t getting the memo. “Liz.” he said in a light tone as he craned his head away from hers. “Liz.” he repeated firmly when she wouldn’t stop attacking his neck with her lips. Will someone please come gouge my eyes out? Please? “Elizabeth, enough.” he said, pushing her away with more force, before standing. “Would you like anything from the kitchen, Nikki?”

I looked up from my computer screen, staring at Chandler with wide eyes. “Uhm.” I thought for a moment, confused as to why he’d asked me instead of Liz. Speaking of Liz, she was staring at the back of Chandler’s head with a look of disbelief. “I…Ah…No thanks.”

“Alright.” he gave me a strained smile before turning to Liz. “What about you, Elizabeth?” he asked is a slightly sharper tone.

“No.” she gave him an evil grin. “But I can think of something else I want.”

My jaw immediately dropped to the ground, a slight noise of shock escaping my lips. “Seriously?” I hissed under my breath in disbelief.

“Excuse me?” Chandler asked in -what sounded like- disgust and disbelief before holding his hand up when Liz opened her mouth to speak again. “Better yet, don’t repeat yourself.” he snapped at her before walking toward the kitchen. Chandler has been in such a bad mood all day. I have no idea what’s gotten into him. Maybe Liz is finally getting under his skin.

“Oh thank god.” I said, letting out a sigh of relief as the door bell rang.

“Knock, knock.” a familiar, cheerful voice called from the front door. I heard the rubber from the bottom of his shoes squeak on the floor as he entered the living room. “Hey, beautiful.” Page said to me, ignoring everyone else, and smiling brightly as he tucked his light brown hair under his beanie. I couldn’t help but admire how attractive he look in his black jorts (jean shorts) and his light blue t-shirt that clung to his torso, allowing the out line of his abs to show. Page is very attractive, there’s no doubt about that. He’s very sweet as well. But even after the weeks we’ve been talking, I haven’t been able to feel anything more than friendship for Page. Stupid Chandler. It’s all his fault.

“Page?” Chandler said as he walked out of the kitchen, a shocked look on his perfect face. How the…“What are you doing here?”

Page turned his attention from be to smile innocently at Chandler. “Well hello, cousin. Long time, no see, eh?”

I blinked in confusion as I took in the words Page had just spoken. “‘Cousin’?” I asked in disbelief. I knew Page’s last name was Alexander but I had no clue he and Chandler were related. “Of course.” I mumbled to myself, shaking my head at my own stupidly. Of course I should have known. Or at least assumed.

“May I ask what you’re doing here?” Chandler said in a seemingly friendly tone as he walked closer to Page.

Page flashed Chandler a small smile before turning to me, his grin widening. “Nikki and I have a date.”

“A date?” Chandler questioned immediately, causing my eyes to snap to his. All emotion was wiped from his face before he noticed me looking at him. Chandler’s eyes flashed to mine, then back to Page before his lips pulled into a smile. “Lovely.” he said through tight lips. “Have fun.” he said to me. “But not too much.” that, he directed at Page.

Chandler just did exactly what Nick would’ve if he was here. I’ll admit it, I was hoping for a bit of jealously from Chan. “Uhhh.” I sighed to myself as I rose from the couch. I don’t know why I’m so surprised. Or hurt, for that matter. I guess I had a tiny bit of hope that he felt something for me. I don’t know why I’m so insanely stupid.

----

I was abruptly woken by someone pounding on my door. Assuming it was Chandler trying to annoy me, I pulled the pillow over my head, sinking further into the bed. It can’t be any earlier than 3am. For the first time in months, I can finally fall asleep before dawn, and now I’m being woken up by him pounding on my door. Stupid Chandler. I hate him.

More noise ripped through the silence of my room as another round of door pounding began. “Nikki! Open the damn door!” Nick’s annoyed voice boomed through the door, somehow over powering the sound of his fist hitting the door repeatedly.

When I realized he wasn’t going to stop, I reluctantly climbed out of the bed, dragging my half asleep body to the door. “What do you--” my scream of anger was cut short when I noticed my Mother and Father standing as Nick’s sides looking incredibly worried. Well, my Dad looked worried. My Mother on the other hand, she was shaking with tears. “What’s going on?” I asked, frowning at them.

“Get dressed, please.” Nick said slowly. “We have to go to the--” he stopped short, taking a deep breath before finishing. “We have to go to the hospital.”

My frowned deepened. “Why?”

My Mother let out a light whine before Nick began his next sentence. “Chandler was in an accident. And Nikki…Its…its not looking good.”

------------------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note: Ya know, I’ve always wanted to kill off one of my characters. :3 I’m sorry this is so short! I’ll upload real soon. I‘d never leave y’all on a cliff-hanger this bad, now would I? ;)

-Lexi Rain