Chapter 7: Operation Rescue

Third Person POV

"It's almost time", Nathan whispered while hiding behind a building in Magnolia in the middle of the night. Team Natsu was right behind him, waiting for their opportunity.

Gray's POV

"Are you sure they are going to show up?", Lucy asked feeling a little uncertain about this kind of approach.

"I am sure. Just trust me on this one, ok?", Nathan said confidently. He already became friends with everyone in the guild in the past few days he spent with Fairy Tail. He told us that the soldiers were after him but he seemed like a nice person to me so I just didn't understand why would someone want to go after him.

"They are always surprisingly punctual so they only show up at midnight when there is a full moon", Nathan continued, "that is how the village knew when to hide. We lived like that all these years."

Sadness could be seen in his eyes and I believe he is telling the truth. No one could ever lie that good.

Something was off though.

"But why do they make themselves so predictable?", I asked.
"It is like they want you to know when they are comming, but that doesn't make any sense...", Erza added.
"We know that they can do it even where there is no full moon so, why?", I said laying my back on the building, trying to find a suitable explanation.

"We suspected that as well. In the beginning we were always cautious, at any moment, but in the end they always come at the same time", Nathan paused, probably remembering his childhood moments, "It was strange, I have to admit, but we eventually got used to it", he concluded.

The only thing that concerned me was how easy it seemed to track them down considering that they should be elite soliders. It made me want to rethink our plan...

"I know what you are thinking, Gray", Erza said, "I know that it is dangerously suspicious but we have to take the chance. If we don't we will have to wait untill the next full moon or find another way", she paused reaching for my shoulder, "and who knows what could happen to Juvia in the meantime."

I just nodded in agreement. Of course I knew this but I wouldn't want to so something stupid which will put me in danger as well. Who would save her then?

"If you're done with your chitchat we should get going. We have to get closer to the village so we can continue our mission", Nathan said and started running towards south, where the village is. We followed him step by step as silently as possible.

Once we got close enough we heard a large explosion comming from Nathan's village. He immediately started running as fast as he could, probably feeling concerned about his friends and family in the village. We were right behind him, occasionally looking arround if we could find someone on the way.

We finally entered the village. The only thing we could see was everything burning in fire. I didn't feel any warmth but I guess it is just me. I am an ice mage after all.

When I looked towards Erza she seemed like something was bothering her. She was carefully observing everything, like she was searching for something. Just when I was about to ask her what she was looking for she closed her right eye and suddenly stopped moving.

Her eyes widened.
"It's a trap!", she yelled, "The fire is just an illusion!"

"What!?", said Nathan, "We have to get out of here. Now!"

That is right. Erza's left eye is immune to things like illusions.
Without question, we all started running without second thought.
Just before we were about to exit the village I suddenly stopped. My body wouldn't move anymore. It seemed like the same thing happened to the others too.