Chapter 27

C h a p t e r  T w e n t y - S e v e n

It was just like any other nights, where Joon Gi would work quietly in his work room in their gigantic mansion where only Ji Soo and him lived in. Their house was located at a small hill, with the exterior decorated in a Victorian style, and a small garden at both the side of the path that led to the front door. Their mother had always liked gardening, so the brothers made sure that her garden was always well-maintained, exactly like how their late mother would.

Feeling parched, Joon Gi removed his glasses while shutting his sore eyes, and got up from his seat to exit the room to get a drink to quench his thirst from the kitchen. The house was eerily quiet, as the maids had all returned home since it was already past midnight.

Joon Gi was walking towards the stairs when he heard a giggle erupting from Ji Soo's room, which was on his right side. Placing his right ear onto the door, he listened to his brother's conversation with whoever was on the other line.

"No way! I bet the guy was totally crushing on you!" A female voice spoke, and strangely, it made Joon Gi's heart tingle.

"Eww no! I'm as straight as a pole!" Ji Soo replied before bursting into a laughing fit with the girl.

"I know you're straight, but the thing is, is the guy straight? Hey, one shall not discriminate." The female clicked her tongue, and Ji Soo chuckled.

"Noona, I miss you. Hyunnie too. Hera told me he's been annoying her about not being able to see you."

Joon Gi felt his heart drop at that sentence. Was his brother possibly talking to...

"It's been only like what-" the female paused her sentence momentarily, probably counting, "-six months?"

"Noona, six months is actually a very long time. My hyung has been working nonstop since you left, drowning himself in work." Ji Soo had seemingly reduced his voice, hoping that his older brother wouldn't hear him, but he didn't know that he was actually listening to everything.

The female sighed. "He's healthy, I assume?"

"Of course, he still interacts with us as per usual. It's just that, he doesn't smile as often as he's with you, noona. He misses you so much."

It didn't take a genius to know that Ji Soo was chatting with Ha Jin. Knowing that, Joon Gi swallowed his saliva, headed downstairs and made a beeline towards the kitchen. His throat felt drier than before.

So, all along, Ji Soo had been keeping contact with her but he wasn't allowed to? Joon Gi felt upset at the thought, but it was Ha Jin's choice, so he decided to respect her decision and follow her. He loved her way too much.

This six months passed by painfully slowly, and there wasn't a day when Joon Gi wouldn't miss Ha Jin's presence by his side. He missed her smile, her laughter, the way she blushes whenever she was embarrassed..

He missed everything about her.

As pathetic as it sounds, maybe he should just hide behind Ji Soo's door to eavesdrop their conversation so that he could hear her voice. He had tried contacting her the second he finished the letter, but all methods were to no avail.

She just wouldn't answer him, no matter what.

As days passed, he had slowly, but still not entirely, given up on trying to reach her. At times when he was down and needed her comfort, he had considered to book a flight ticket and fly to wherever he thought that she would be at.

Dragging his feet back towards his room, he noticed that from the slit below Ji Soo's room door, it was no longer lit, so he assumed that he was already asleep.