Chapter Four: Toxic

One month later:
Nature. One of the greatest gifts in life. Actually one of the reasons for life, now that I think about it. Nature. Probably my favorite thing in the world, besides music and family, of course.

I sat underneath the lengthy trees, spiraling around me. Their vivid, emerald leaves shaded me, covering me from the blinding rays of golden sunshine. The mystical melody of the birds serenaded me, as the chilling breeze swept over me. The leaves trembled ever so slightly, dancing in the air, as the crickets chirped in harmony. I hummed along with them, sighing in relief. Thank goodness, nature did not have great connection or service whatsoever. For if it did, my phone would be bursting with notifications galore at this moment.

     The aura around me, calming and peaceful, not like the hectic life I lived, not like the horrendous drama occurring each second. Nothing just peace, quiet, and relaxation. My favorite feelings.

     I checked the time; it was 4:15 pm. Wait, 4:15pm?! I had a Pentatonix meeting at 4:25 pm! Dang, my stupidity!

I ran out of the woods, rushing to my car. The soothing sound of the trickling waterfall immediately disappeared, now replaced with the constant phone calls.

[Toxic by Britney Spears just played on my phone as I am writing this, it's kind of creeping me out, since this chapter title is...I think you got the point 😂.]

Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring! My phone blared, as I drove out of there, now stuck in Los Angeles traffic.

In frustration, I punched the steering wheel, as someone continued to call me. Grabbing the phone, I answered it, growling, "What?!"

     "Bad timing, I assume?" Kevin seemed startled by my tone.

     "Sorry, Kevin," I apologized, as the the cars began to move again.

     "Anyways Avi, where are you? The meeting's about to began," Kevin confronted, as I swallowed in hesitation.

     "I was in my forest," I finally responded, as Kevin chortled.

     "Dude, I think you love that place even more than barbecue," Kevin guffawed.

     "What?! Barbecue's my number one, nature is a close second," I laughed along, although stress was raging through my head.

     Gratefully, I made it there only a couple minutes late, but what can I say? This was probably my first time being late, I'm usually the one that's always early.

     I knocked on the door to the studio, seeing Ben and Scott standing with their crossed arms.

     "Avi, where were you? You're always like the first one here," Scott narrowed his eyes at me, raising his eyebrows. (And for those of you out there, yes Scott does have eyebrows.)

     "Uh traffic," I stuttered. I mean, it was true. Just not the only reason why.

     "Whatever, at least you're here. Kirstie is still not here, and we need her to be here," Ben groaned.

     Kirstie late to a Pentatonix meeting? Sure, she could be late with me and stuff, but Pentatonix never!

     I sat down on one of the couches as Esther came in, glaring at me.

     "Seriously, Avi? You had to go see the forest today," Esther scolded in my ear, as I shrugged.

     Esther was probably the only one that knew everything that happened between Kirstie and I. In fact, she was always the one defending my butt during interviews and on social media galore.