Chapter 3.

Things got easier after the first year. During that year, I stayed mostly within what is now known as the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness that spans from Montana to Idaho. 1,340,502 acres of very little human interaction, and lots of animals to feed on.

True, every now and then I would come across a tribe of Native-Americans, but I kept myself well-fed, and so it was easier to resist the temptation.

I had already been immortal for four months when I saw my reflection for the first time in a shallow pond. Though it was unclear, and slightly distorted by ripples in the water, I could see that I was far more beautiful than I was in my human life. Even through the dirt and grime of the forest, I was stunning.

And my eyes were something else.

I thought they would be crimson, like those of my creator. Instead, slightly crimson-tinted, amber eyes stared back at me.

Eventually, I noticed my control strengthen, and I knew I could handle being near humans.
Even if it meant the undeniable pain of thirst.

So, a year after my creation, I ventured into the human world. And, while I didn't settle, I enjoyed being there.

154 years later and I still haven't stayed anywhere for more than a few months. There are others like me: Nomads who find it easier to keep moving. I ran with a vampire called Garett for a while, thrilled by his war stories. In return, I read his past, telling his human stories back to him as though it happened yesterday. Human memories tend to fade, rather than stay sharp like the ones made after our creation.

The ability, which I've honed immensely, is called retrocognition. It's easier when I have an object to connect to, but even without one I'm able to see the past of any person or object I wish.

Garett and I parted ways after a few years. As averse as I was to killing humans, he was enthusiastic about it.

Every now and then we would run into each-other. Actually, it was more like one of us would catch the other's scent and begin a game of cat and mouse, which always ended with laughter and good humor.

I recently caught his trail while was in the Olympic area of Washington state. It was very confusing, as his scent, while faint, was widespread and surrounded by the scents of other vampires- lots of other vampires and...dogs?

Pausing in the moss covered forest, I felt the undeniable feeling of being followed, and scanned the trees with a snarl. In return, I was met with deep growls.

I sunk into a defensive stance as three large wolves stalked towards me.

Well, that explained the dog smell.

The wolves suddenly paused in their advance, looking between each-other as though they were having a silent conversation. Then, the wolf in the center -the largest- violently transformed into a massive Native-American man, who looked to be in his early twenties.

Also, he was very, very naked.

"Normally we kill any vampires who venture so close to town." He said with nonchalance.

"Well then," my voice hushed, "what's stopping you?"

An amused smirk adorned his features as he chuckled lightly, "We saw your eyes. Gold eyes on a bloodsucker can only mean one thing. You only drink animals, don't you?"

I straightened, letting my guard down slightly, "Guilty," I affirmed, "So who and what are you guys."

"Well I'm Jacob Black," he stuck out his hand and I shook it gently, noting his nearly burning temperature, "and that's Seth and Leah Clearwater, and we're kinda werewolves." He finished as he pointed first to the sandy-colored, then to the gray wolf.