Chapter 9.

After Jasper's initial shock at Alice's arrival dissipated, he was overjoyed.

"Welcome home," he had said, turning to her mate who introduced himself as Jonah, "both of you."

I was glad he was okay.

"I wish I had come with good news." She said quietly, "But I've had a vision."

There was suddenly a gasp from Edward.

"No." He said simply.

Carlisle suddenly stood behind Alice, turning her to face him, "What is it, Alice?"

"They're coming back." The small woman explained sadly.

I felt my eyes widen, "The Volturi?"

She turned to meet my eyes, and smiled sadly, nodding.

"After eleven years?" I asked in shock.

"Aro knows about your gift, Sarah." She did not break eye contact as she continued, and I felt Jasper's arm snake around my waist as he let out a low growl, "He originally just wanted Edward and I, the future and the present.  But with you, he could have the future, the present, and the past all in the palm of his hand.  Not to mention the fact that if he had Bella, he could be nearly invincible.  He already has Renata."

I hummed in response, "I hid my gift from him.  I avoided his touch.  He knew I was hiding something but I never told him what I could do."

"They're coming with the excuse that the Cullen clan has grown too powerful, but really he just wants us at his side.  Chelsea's gift has grown." She told me, anger rippling through her tone.

"When." Growled Emmet.

"Three weeks."

"That isn't enough time to find people who can help." Edward murmured, "The packs would fight, I'm sure, but the Volturi are coming to kill. We'll need others."

My mind journeyed to my friends in Romania, whom I'd met twenty years ago. Their hatred for the Volturi would drive them to do anything just to see them fall.

"Yes." Edward replied to my thought, "Do you think you can find them?"

"Without a doubt." I replied, "I'll need to feed again before I go."

"We will stand and fight as well." Tanya spoke up, her expression was solemn, but when I glanced at Garrett only anticipation registered.

Of course. He missed the war.

"How do you know the Volturi, Sarah?" It was Rosalie who spoke, and I glanced at her in acknowledgment.

"When the newborn battles got out of hand, they tracked anyone who was involved. Aro saw me when he read my creators mind, but he saw that I was innocent and only tracked me out of curiosity." I explained, "He wanted to know why I was able to resist the lure of blood so effectively as a newborn."

"He didn't want to read you?" Edward questioned.

"He did, but I was very untrusting when I was young, and the Volturi need to be trusted. He decided not to force me." I replied.

"I'll go with you," Jasper spoke from beside me, "to Romania."

"No, Jazz." I turned to face him, cupping his face in my hand, "Find Peter and Charlotte.  They'll help."

"You're not going alone." He stated.  He was agitated, I could tell. 

"They'll want to hear the situation from you.  They're your friends, Jasper." I said soothingly, attempting to calm him.

"She won't be going alone." Came a monotone voice.

We both turned to stare at Rosalie while she continued.

"I want to do my part," she said simply, "and we can find Siobhan and her coven before we come back home."

I nodded, grateful as Emmet placed a kiss on Rosalie's hair.

"C'mon Jasper," he said with a halfhearted smirk, "They're big girls. They can handle themselves."

Jasper ignored him, but faced me again, "Promise me you'll be careful."

"Always." I replied.

I turned to face Rosalie, "Ready?"

She nodded solemnly, determined, and we left the Cullen residence, bidding farewell to our family.

After a quick hunt, and an uneventful flight, we were in Romania, making our way through town after town.  Soon, we were on foot, Rose following me as I led us through dense forests, stopping when a large mansion came into view.  I use the term 'Mansion' loosely, as it was more like a castle.

Vladimir and Stefan were in power for a long time, after all.  They would want to dwell in the epitome of grandeur.

My first visit to their home was chilling.  The huge house sat on the side of a hill, dark in color and casting a shadow on what would normally be sunny fields.  It was as if Dracula were about to come out to say hello.

And as Rosalie and I approached the mansion, he did.

Who did you think Dracula was based on?

"Sarah!" Vlad exclaimed, his accent causing him to linger on the last a, "Welcome! And with one of the Cullens! Rosalie, yes?"

"Vladimir.  It's good to see you again." I acknowledged as Rosalie nodded, "But where is Stefan?"

"Coming." He said simply, gesturing toward the trees, where the sound of an approach was growing ever louder.

"Sarah." Stefan greeted as he broke through the trees, "A pleasure."

I smiled lightly at the pair, staying silent as Stefan greeted Rosalie.

"Surely," Vlad said with a grin, "You did not come all this way just to say hello?"

"No," I stated, my tone darkening.  I did not miss the smiles that grew on their faces as they sensed my discomfort, "The Volturi are coming for us again.  Aro wants me, along with other gifted vampires in the Cullen coven."

"So you joined the Cullens then." Stefan said without surprise, "You will be a good fit there."

"We would be overjoyed to stand with you of course." Vladimir spoke up, excitement radiating through his voice.

I let out a dry laugh, "Yes.  I figured you would be pleased."

"How long until their arrival?" Stefan asked.

"Only about three weeks." Rosalie answered, tensing as his eyes lit up.

"Then there is no time to waste."

"No," Vladimir answered, "We must make haste."

"Our family will be expecting you." I told them, "We have another stop to make before we return."

"Best of luck." Stefan said.

"Thank you." I replied, "For all of this."

"No," Vladimir said quickly, his crimson eyes boring into mine, and a chilling grin on his face, "Thank you."