Chapter 14.

We stood around the little clearing as we watched the combat unfold. The opponents circled each other, analyzing the other's movements. We analyzed too.

I eyed the tree line opposite of us. There were so many of them. Each and every one of them were watching the center of the clearing with an intense concentration, casting a glance to their comrades every once in a while.

Everyone was here. All of them were here. How many young Quilleute's had phased in the last week? I could not count them, as several of the smaller wolves were hidden behind the larger ones. Jacob had told me that their youngest was only 13. The youngest wolf ever to turn.

The magic running through the Quilleute's veins was sensitive indeed. Something was coming. Something big.

The magic would protect its tribe.

Edward Cullen and Seth Clearwater continued to circle each other. Edward's lips kept twitching up into an amused grin as Seth tried to distract him with his thoughts.

The wolf had told me once before that he was pretty good at distracting his thoughts. He said that once before, when he and Edward had fought, he kept belting Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You in his head.

By the shudders coming from the wolves, I assumed he was doing something similar now.

In a flash, Edward was on the ground, and Seth's teeth were against his throat.

I chuckled and clapped along with the other onlookers as the two retreated from the clearing, laughing and nudging each-other playfully as Edward kept muttering about cheating.

There were plenty of vampires here as well. Some of us, myself included, were perched in the treetops to get a better view of the practice sparring.

I was practicing too.

The groups, wolves and vampires alike, were made aware of my plan to stop the Volturi dead in their tracks. Most of the vampires had given me their permission to read them so that I could practice my gift without touching the person I was reading. A few were less eager to expose their pasts to me, and I did not push.

Surprisingly enough, Rosalie eagerly told me I could practice on her, so long as I didn't reiterate her story.

The Wolves were less than pleased about my plan, but they agreed it would at least distract the Volturi enough to slow them down. Sam Uley and Jacob Black escorted Jasper and I to the center of the reservation, where we explained everything to the elders of the tribe. Billy Black was the one to make a final decision, shaking my hand and telling me that I was welcome to their histories, so long as they remained a secret.

Of course, I agreed.

I was getting better at it. It was becoming easier to focus at a distance.

Jonah, who I had not yet had the chance to read, became by practice dummy moving a few yards away at a time to test how far the person had to be.  He had lived a fairly normal life, did well in school, only child, he had even been accepted into Juliard for viola. He was the only one not here, and that was because he was four miles away at the edge of a cliff.  He was fuzzy, but I was still able to get a decently accurate read.  A few more yards and he became even more difficult.

At five miles he was gone altogether. 

I nodded to Alice and she sped off to retrieve her mate.  Jasper leapt down from the treetop to fight and Edward took his place beside me. 

"Four and a half miles is more than enough space to get a read on them.  Especially since they're likely to stop in the clearing long enough to make their offer to those of us who are gifted." He said quietly, "You'll have time."

I nodded thoughtfully wondering who I needed to prioritize in regards to blackmail.

Edward chuckled at the word choice and answered my unspoken question, "Aro and Caius run the show for the most part.  Marcus would be third.  I have always wondered about him.  He never seems to be interested in what's taking place, only ever using his gifts when Aro asks him to."

"What can he do?" I voiced.

"Marcus can sense the emotional ties between people.  It's useful when offers are made.  When vampires are separated from their mates the emotional damage is usually irreversible.  They wouldn't want to damage a potential weapon, so if they want a gifted vampire, they likely extend the offer to their mate."  He explained.

"Will they do that when they arrive?"

Edward glanced at me briefly, "I don't know.  Nearly everyone here has stood against them once before.  It's highly unlikely they'll be merciful.  The gifted pairs I'm sure will be spared if it comes to that."

"He wants you and Bella." I said as an example.

"He'll want you as well," He said quietly, his gaze flickering distractedly as Alice and Jonah returned, "But Jasper's gift is too similar to Corin's.  It's likely he'll try and use Chelsea to separate you two."

I let out a low snarl against my will, "They won't get that far."

Edward echoed me quietly, "No.  They won't."

"Try to avoid Aro's touch as much as possible.  I'll have to work quickly to get enough to slow them down, but until then they can't know what I'm doing."

He nodded in agreement, "I'll spread the word."

Suddenly, Jasper and Benjamin ceased in their fight.  Another approach was heard and we all leapt from our places to stand in a group.  The wolves immediately took their places behind us. 

They were about two miles out when their pace slowed, and Edward straightened from his defensive posture.

"Wait.  It's alright."  He said with a pleased smile.

"You know who it is?" Carlisle asked.

Edward nodded and turned to look at me, "They're a friend."

I tilted my head, having absolutely no idea what he was talking about. 

We watched the trees, and became even more anxious as their pace slowed yet again at half a mile to our meeting place, and once more, almost to a human's running speed, as they were only a few yards from us.

We intently watched the trees until we saw a broad figure break through the trees, his long hair in a braid and wearing tattered clothes.

I stepped forward from the group in utter disbelief, turning to look at Rosalie who shadowed my actions.  She grinned at me, seemingly as surprised as I was, before turning her attention back to the new arrival.

Finally, I came to my senses and stepped closer to greet the vampire.

"Keahi.  Thank you."

The man looked around warily, "Well," He said with a sigh, "I suppose I couldn't let you have all the fun."

I chuckled at him as he continued.

"Besides," He said,

"I've been hiding long enough."