Chapter 15

Keahi was a little uncomfortable around so many others, and many of the others were uncomfortable with him.  

Jasper became his handler, so to speak.  If Jasper sensed Keahi's anxiousness rising, he would use his gift to calm the pyrokinetic down. 

When Jasper couldn't be there, or was otherwise entertained, an unexpected volunteer stepped up.

With Tanya, it was easy to forget how dangerous Keahi was. Their connection was strong, especially since it had only been less than a day since their meeting. His intense posture, with his raised shoulders and straight back, relaxed around her. He smiled more, and smiled genuinely, and when he looked at her for long enough, it was like he was staring at the stars themselves.

I didn't need to be an empath to see what was going on there.

I had just returned from a quick hunt and was talking to Renesmee and Jacob when a shocked gasp was heard throughout the Cullen property.  It came from Alice, but was echoed almost immediately by Edward. 

"They're here." She gasped

"Early." Edward echoed.

"I was watching Aro..."

"But he let Caius make the final call."

If I were human, the blood would have drained from my face, and my heart might've stopped.  As it was, my face slipped into cold solemnity as I went to stand by Jasper, "How far are they."

"Ten miles." Alice answered me.

"The clearing."  Carlisle said quickly, "We need to get away from town."

Everyone began racing as fast as they could.  I began to try and focus in on anyone approaching, and the wolves phased and trailed behind us.

Only a moment later, I began to feel fuzzy forms grow clearer.

Two moments later, they were stood in front of us, obviously put out that we had assembled so quickly. Bella was focusing intently on something. I assume shielding all of us from any unseen attacks the Volturi may be using against us.

Carlisle and Aro are speaking nonsense to eachother, if I'm being completely honest, and I am not paying any attention, as I'm focusing on the past of the bored-looking immortal to Aro's left.

My first instinct was to focus on Aro or the menacing blonde one - Caius - for information.  But my attention was drawn to Marcus.  There was something very off about him.  Even as close as the rival vampires were, he was still difficult to focus on. 

Difficult, but not impossible.

I delved into his long life and discovered that most of what I was seeing was surrounded by a blurred sheen, as though he could not focus on his own life.  It went on for ages, mere seconds for me, but decades became centuries surrounded by this odd distortion until something changed. 

There it was.

That's what would stop them.

Maybe even for good.

If Edward had been reading me, he might've spoken up immediately. As it was, we agreed that he could not read me during this time, since it was very likely that he would have to surrender his thoughts - and everyone else's - to Aro.

I knew.

And I hated him.

I switched my focus to him, going back to the point of clarity in Marcus's past to gain proof of what I had determined. It was very easy to find it. I found the same proof in Caius's past.

Jasper snarled beside me as he felt my hatred mingle with his own and I tried to calm myself. His sound drew the attention of a few of the rivals, but not for long.

"You have defied us, Carlisle."

"We have done no such thing, Aro. Our loyalty is with the law."

"The girl."

"She was not a product of crime."

"Yet still," Aro seethed, "still you gather an army against us? To overthrow that which to claim loyalty to."

Carlisle began to argue once again, but was interrupted.

"Young ones." Aro said, "There is no way to avoid bloodshed today. Still, I offer forgiveness and a place with the guard to those who accept it."

I take a step forward, and am met with confused eyes from the Cullen's side, and excited eyes from the Volturi. I was one of the prizes they came for, after all.

"Ah," Aro sighed, "Sarah. It has been a long time since our first meeting."

"Aro." I acknowledged.

He smiled at me, but it was empty. Jasper tried to follow me as I took another step, but I waved him away.

"You are to accept my offer, dear one?"

I dis not answer his question, but instead asked one of my own.

"How?" I began, my voice mingling with a snarl, "How could you kill your own sister?"