Chapter 16

Hundreds of pairs of eyes trained on me. Edward stared in shock as he finally read what I've seen.

"No answer, Aro?" I taunted.

Marcus's eyes were on me as well, and somehow they were more focused than before.

"This," Aro began, "is slanderous and nonsensical."

I grinned at him, and turned my attention to Marcus.

"Do you know what I can do?" I asked more gently.

His posture straightened, and for the first time, his hand dropped from Aro's as he replied, "Retrocognition is a special gift. Yet, yours is limited to touch."

"Much has changed since my first meeting with the Volturi, Marcus. I can read as clearly at a distance as I can while having physical contact." I explained, "You have been lied to."

Without warning, he broke away from the Volturi to stand in the center of the two groups. With only a second of hesitation, I joined him. I glanced back at Jasper and willed him to stay put.

"Speak carefully." Marcus's thin voice warned, "and speak true."

"Didyme was Aro's sister. Am I correct?" I asked.

The man only nodded coldly, still not entirely focused.

"She was your mate, and you had both become discontented with the lives you were leading with the Volturi. Correct?"

"Yes." Marcus whispered.

I nodded, bracing myself for what I was about to say,  "With the knowledge that everything I've said so far is true, I beg you to keep an open mind to what I must say next." 

"This is ludicrous! Absurd!" Caius interjects from the sidelines.

He did not have the opportunity to continue as Marcus raised his hand sharply, signaling for him to be silent.

"Speak." Marcus repeated.

"Aro couldn't let a gift like yours slip through his fingers."  I met his eyes and did not look away, "Didyme was keeping you from having true loyalty to the Volturi, so when she was apart from you, he disposed of her.  Now there was no competition for your loyalty."

Marcus's face was an emotionless mask as I continued, "But he got it wrong.  You never learned who had killed her, though you had suspicions, and withdrew into yourself when you realized that you could not avenge your mate's death.  He had lost you even still."

Both sides grew very quiet.

"Until Chelsea.  He ordered her to use her gifts to strengthen your loyalty enough to where he could still utilize your talents, Marcus.  She has been doing this since her arrival in the guard.  This is why you doubt me even now.  She is keeping you from thinking your own thoughts. You are being used.  Kept like a prisoner until he has use of you."

"Brother," Aro said, " Do not let this child destroy our bond. I could not betray my sister, and I could not betray you."

Marcus turned to look at him, considering his words.

"A test then." I said firmly, recapturing his attention, "Bella can shield you from Chelsea's reach. If what Aro says is true, then nothing will change once you are under Bella's shield, and I will have lied. If not, you will have a very good indication that I am speaking truly."

Aro stiffened, "You cannot possible be considering-"

"Yes." Marcus interrupted. "A test, and if young Sarah is indeed lying, I will kill her where she stands."

I met his unfocused stare and utter one word, "Bella."

In a second, the fog cleared from Marcus's tired face as Chelsea's hold broke. He involuntarily took a breath and I reached for his arm as he stumbled slightly. After centuries of planted thoughts, his own must be overwhelming.

Jasper was now suddenly at my side, taking Marcus's other elbow to steady him, and Carlisle came to stand beside us.

"Marcus," he pleaded, "can you now see?"

The ancient immortal says nothing as he takes everything in.

"This," Caius sneered, "proves nothing of importance. We simply wanted to keep you safe. It does not prove murder."

Aro looked on the situation coldly, saying nothing.

"It is true." A small voice spoke quickly, "Marcus, I'm sorry, but it is true."

Maggie stepped from around Liam and Siobhan, "We have met before.  You know I can tell when I am being lied to."

"That does not mean you cannot lie yourself," Caius interjected.

"But she is not."

This time the voice came from the Volturi themselves, a cloaked figure stepping from around a stunned Aro.

"Sulpicia." Marcus acknowledged.

"I was the only witness.  I know I should have told you, Marcus.  I am sorry," this time she fixed Aro with a cold, and pained glare, "But you have kept me silent for too long."

She came to stand at Marcus's side, quickly followed by Caius's wife, Athenodora.

"Traitors!" The blonde seethed.

"I am not the traitor here, darling." Athenodora replied steadily.

Slowly, at the sight of the wives change of side, the Volturi witnesses broke away one by one. 

Some ran away, going home. 

Some, a very few, came to stand beside the Cullen's.

All that remained was the guard, Aro, and Caius.

A collective snarl reverberated through the Volturi as they realized they were outnumbered.