Chapter 7.

I suppose I must admit I was a little trepidatious when it came to Jasper's admission, and I told him as much. He understood, as it had only been a little over a day since my arrival, and only two years since Alice's departure.

He knew, he said, that despite Alice's kind heart and good nature, he could never love another being as much as he had loved me during our time together as humans. While he missed her, he understood now why she had to go, and he hoped she would return one day with her new mate.

I wondered why she hadn't told him I was coming.

Jasper couldn't give me much of an answer, besides maybe my arrival was too far in the future for her to predict.  I had my doubts though, they had told me she saw Jasper from the moment she changed.

As for me, I knew as soon as I was changed that the connection I had with Jasper Whitlock could never be replicated or replaced. 

One month after my arrival with the Cullens, the Denali's came to visit as Carlisle's request.

Eleazar and Carmen were both lovely, and Eleazar shared Carlisle's fascination with my gift, and with my past. 

His ability fascinated me as well, the gift of sensing the gifts of others was a powerful one indeed.  I understood why Aro desired him.  I also understood why he didn't want his past read - I had my own run-in with the Volturi decades ago.

Tanya and Kate were very kind, and very strong-willed.  Their past was not a particularly happy one, but watching them overcome it was inspiring to say the least.  I only wished I had been able to meet Irina.

"Gar-bear!" I crowed when he traipsed in, "My old friend it's been too long!"

He scoffed at me, but chuckled, "I told you not to call me that, Jingle-Bell."

We embraced, and I caught Jasper's smile as he sensed the positive emotion in the room.

"You know, I never thought I would see the day," I began, my eyes meeting Garret's now-gold ones, "that you would go for the vegetarian lifestyle."

"Keeps the woman happy." He laughed, gesturing to Kate, who gave him a light zap for the jibe.

"And I see you still have your edgy-renaissance-pirate getup." I teased.

"As always." He said with an exaggerated bow.

Jasper joined us then, one arm wrapping around my waist as he shook Garret's hand with his other.

"Thank you again for your help with the Volturi." Jasper greeted.

"Anytime, of course.  Sarah here missed an entertaining encounter," he said with a wink, "Shame it never came to anything."

That one earned a more powerful shock from the blonde beside him.

"We were lucky." She scolded him, "It may not go so well next time."

"We won't be unprepared," Jasper stated, "We know now that we have allies."

"And now you have one more." I agreed, grinning up at him.

Nessie waltzed over, greeting the visitors with a dazzling smile before grabbing my hand. An image of a deer flashed through my mind, followed by images of her mother's amber eyes, and my dark brown ones before she released my hand and looked at me questioningly. Bella had eaten recently. I had not.