Chapter 18

The Volturi left, Marcus giving his thanks and apologies for the meeting. He and Carlisle talked for a long time, and from what little I heard from the conversation, things were going to take a turn for the better.

The wolves were the first to depart. A few lingered, the Clearwaters, Claire, Jacob, and to my surprise, Sam Uley. Jacob stayed the longest, but he and Renesmee left to celebrate with a hunt.

The Romanians left with the Volturi. They were offered a place in the council.

Everyone else stayed long enough to say goodbye, but all were eager to return home after their second close call with the Volturi.

"Well, Gare-Bear," I grinned at my friend, "thanks for sticking around."

He laughed heartily and wrapped an arm around my shoulder, ruffling my hair, "Anytime, Jingle bells."

Unsurprisingly, Keahi left with the Denali's after a short goodbye.

Jasper left to hunt with his brothers, and I took some time to reflect.

I became someone different today. I was so willing to be part of a ruthless execution, though perhaps it was well deserved. I studied the moss patterns as it climbed up a grey boulder. Life was so beautiful. It was so simple. So innocent.

And I had a hand in ending it.

Maybe what we have isn't life at all, but it's close enough.

Today, for a moment, I had let go of the humanity I had held onto for so long.

As my hand reached out to trace the pattern of the moss, my eye caught the humble opal ring shimmering in the starlight.  The man who gave this to me saw much more bloodshed than I ever had, and still he was kind, still he was good. 

He made mistakes, and acknowledged them.

Jasper never forgot his past, but he did not let it define him.

And neither will I.

I closed my eyes as my fingers caressed the stone, memories replaying in my mind like a movie.  A smile grew on my lips.  I barely registered the soft approach, the gentle kiss on my shoulder.

I leaned into him as I spoke.

"I would've married you, Jasper Whitlock.   Make no mistake.  I would've waited to get a little older, a little smarter, and a little wiser, but I would've married you." I opened my eyes to find his vibrant golden ones staring intently back at me, "I would've given you so many kisses you would've gotten sick of them. You would have had the finest handkerchiefs in the state of Texas."

"We would grow old. Grey haired and hunched over, but I would've still brought you flowers. Maybe even ones we grew ourselves." He joined in, pausing in realization, "I would have had to convince your father I was good enough for you.  I would have had to hold plenty of doors,  maybe get you some lace for your embroidering, just to impress him."

"I'd have bought you a better pocket watch eventually." I laughed.

He chuckled with me, "I'd have gotten you a better ring."

"That would've been a good life," I sighed, "But I think I like this one too."

I brushed his disheveled, honey-colored hair from his face, and my fingers traced his features. 

Even now.

Even now he was unsure, for in his eyes I saw a slight disbelief.  This man who I could never hope to deserve doubted that I could love him.  I knew it wasn't personal.

He had explained to me before that empathy sometimes made it more difficult to read someone emotionally.  He was always slightly afraid he was reading emotions he had created.

I smiled slightly before stretching up to place a kiss on his forehead, "I love you,"

On his cheeks, "I love you."

His jaw, "I love you."

I kissed his lips gently before pulling away to look him in the eye, "Believe me?"

He pulled me back in, his lips moving against mine as he whispered, "Yes."

Life, if you can call it that, was beautiful indeed.