Chapter 8.

I never found a grizzly bear... but I did drain three elk before Carlisle and I headed back to the house. He fed as well, though he didn't have to kill as many before the pain in his throat was more bearable.

On our way back we decided what to do about the hiker, deciding ultimately to call Bella's father, who knew not to ask too many questions. The story would be that the Cullen's had gone for a hike when they heard the sound of an animal attack, but were too late to be of much good.

Edward met me outside.

"Garret and the Denali's left to hunt, they went in the opposite direction, so as not to pick up the hiker's scent."

I nodded as I watched Carlisle go inside, "Jasper?" I asked.

"He said he needed some time. Are you alright?"

"Not really, but I'm more worried about Jasper right now."

Edward nodded, "He's upset with himself. He wouldn't listen to me."

I ran an hand through my hair, my ring getting caught slightly, "I'm going to go find him." I paused, "How's Nessie?"

"She's okay. She was worried about you." He grinned, proud of his daughter.

I returned the smile half-heartedly, "Tell her I'll come and find her later."

"I will. Good luck."

Wordlessly I turned to run in the direction where I knew Jasper would be.  It was only a few moments before I reached the mountain's peak and slowed.  He was here, his scent on the light breeze was intoxicating to me.  However, I was sure he didn't want to be found just yet, so I stepped into the sunlit clearing. 

This little field was vaguely reminiscent of the wheat field where I was changed.  Its tall, browning grass swayed with the wind and I sat down.  My skin shown in the sun, and the shadows of the grass made oddly intricate patterns.

"You did well, Jasper." I called quietly, knowing he could hear, "I'm proud of you."

Silence.

I let out a sigh and lowered myself into the field, the grass forming a sort of wall around me as it blocked me from view of everything but the birds. 

My eyes closed as I listened to the rustling of the vegetation.  I wished he would say something.  It was selfish of me to want the distraction, but my mind kept venturing back to the hunter, and the sound of his heart as it stopped beating, which of course led me back to the boy in the barn.

My forehead wrinkled as the sickening feeling of guilt settled in my stomach.  I attempted to dismiss it, for, if Jasper was indeed as close as I believed him to be, he would sense it and his own guilt would multiply.

"I lost control." Came the quiet voice.

Eyes still closed, I replied.

"You gained it back."

"Only because you were there.  If you hadn't said something I-"

"But I was there," I cut him off, "and you did regain control."

"But I should be better at this by now." He growled.

I sat up, eyes opening and caught sight of him standing at the edge of the clearing in the shade of the tall pines.

"You've come a long way from where you started, Jazz.  If you've come this far, imagine where you'll be in say... ten years time." I gave a half smile, "You'll be right up there with Carlisle."

He scoffed, "That's where you are, Sarah.  You weren't even tempted."

"Is that what you think?" I questioned in disbelief, "You have no idea how close I came to slipping today.  I've never had human blood but that doesn't mean it isn't appealing to me.  I had to kill three elk just to make the pain bearable."

"I'm sorry.  That was insensitive of me." He approached me and stretched out his hand, helping me up off the ground, "I just get frustrated."

"I know." I said with a sigh, "But I'm proud of you, Jasper.  You should be proud of you too."

His thumb grazed my jaw as he tilted my face up towards his.  His lips pressed against mine gently before he pulled away to meet my eyes.

"I love you, Sarah."

I grinned as I wrapped my arms around his neck, "Ditto."

We repeated our earlier action...a few times...before I pulled away with a slightly disappointed sigh.

"Nessie will be expecting me." I explained when he looked at me in confusion.

He nodded, "She was worried."

He took my hand in his and we sped back to the Cullens' home.

However, when we got there, everyone, including the recently returned Denali's, was gathered in the sitting room, where two more visitors had arrived.

The man was dark, a beautiful chocolate skin tone with short hair and a muscular build, though he was not so huge as Emmet.  His amber eyes met mine for a brief second, but he was not who I was fascinated with.

The woman next to him was petite.  She was brunette, and wearing impeccably styled clothes and minimal makeup, though just enough lipstick to bring some color to her pale complexion.  She looked like a pixie, with a haircut to match.

She grinned at me and walked over, giving me an enthusiastic embrace.

Unsurprised, I hugged her back, smiling down at her.  I was completely over-the-moon at her arrival.

I knew exactly who she was before Jasper's shocked voice echoed through the room.

"Alice?"