Together ~ Connor Murphy

It started when you and Connor had first started dating. You knew about his mental illnesses and his home problems and he knew about yours. So one day after a particularly bad day you and Connor went up to his roof and just laid next to each other.

   "What do you want to do after graduation?" Connor asked you suddenly.

   "I just want to get away from here. Ideally with you by my side." You responded

   That surprised him. Connor knew deep down that you loved him, but that didn't stop the shreds of doubt from entering his mind when he couldn't fall asleep at night.

   "Connor? What's on your mind?" You asked him.

     You knew him well enough to know when he felt his world was crashing down on him.

    "You want to leave with me? He asked quietly.

    "Of course I want to leave with you. Who else would I leave with? Kleinman? Goranski? Sweeney?" you chuckled.

      And that's how it started. Whenever either of you were having a bad day you would meet up on his roof and talk. It was always the same prompt 'What are you gonna do when you graduate?'. And as time went on your answers for each other got goofier and goofier. That is until one day where you got a text from Connor asking you to come over to his house ASAP.

      You found him lying on the roof with tears streaming down his pale face. That broke you. You sat down quickly beside him and took his hand. You quickly wiped the tears from his face and pulled him into a hug rubbing soft circles on his back as he cried into your shoulder.

      "Hey," you whispered. "What are you gonna do after you graduate?"

       "I don't know if I'm even gonna graduate." He said, sniffling.

        "Connor, you have passing grades, you're gonna graduate." You said confusedly.

        "No, I don't know if I'm gonna make it long enough to reach graduation."

         Your eyes widened as you realized what your boyfriend was saying. You pulled back from the hug and cupped Connor's cheek.

         "Connor Murphy, don't you dare talk like that. Do you even know what would happen if you killed yourself?"

          "No one cares about the weirdo until they kill themselves, you know that."

          "Forget about them, Connor! Who cares that they don't care? You wanna know what would happen if you killed yourself? I'll let you know. I would go to school and wait by your locker as usual and when you didn't show up I'd assume that you were skipping. Then we'd all be brought into the gymnasium and the principal would say 'Students and Faculty, I regret to inform you that Connor Murphy took his own life last night.' And I would run out of the gym and out of the school and I wouldn't stop running until I reached your house because I didn't believe them. And then your mom would confirm that you were in fact, dead. And I wouldn't be able to go on, Connor. Whatever you're going through, we will go through it together." You started tearing up.

    "I'm sorry." He replied quietly.

     "Don't apologize for your feeling, love. They're what make you human."

      You planted a soft kiss on his forehead and pulled him into another hug. You guys stayed like that for a while. No matter what life threw at you, you would get through it together.