I never planned on you ~ Jack Kelly x reader

You and Jack Kelley were thick as thieves. You had been since his parents left and yours had died. You became each other's family. And, for a while, that was enough.
         As soon as you went outside you heard the commotion coming from Delancey's. You grabbed the nearest newsie to you, Romeo, and asked, "What the hell is going on?"

         "You didn't hear? Pulitzer raised the price of papes!" He responded angrily. After thanking him, you ran off the find Jack and Crutchie.

          You found him talking with the new kid, Donnie or something. "Jack!"

          "(Y/N)! Are you alright? Are you hurt?" Jack said while frantically checking you over for wounds.

          "I'm fine, just confused as to what the hell is going on,"You assured your friend.

          "Pulitzer raised the-" Jack started before getting cut off.

          "Yeah I got that part. But what are we gonna do?"

          "We're going on strike," the new kid stated proudly.

"Like those trolly boys?"

"(Y/N), Pulitzer needs to know that he can't just stomp all over us!" Jack exclaimed. You contemplated it for a few moments.

"Then I'm with you, Jack. Whatever you need, I'm your girl,"

No matter what happened, you would stick with the boys.

———————
Crutchie had gotten taken away. Jack had disappeared. Frankly, you blamed yourself. You should have never split up from them during the fight. And now your two best friends were missing.

       Davey began to walk up to you as you sat on the stoop of someone's apartment.

      "(Y/N), what's the next step for the strike?" The taller boy questioned much to your confusion.

     "Well, why are you asking me? Jack was the one in charge?" You weren't ready to lead those kids.

     "You're Jack's right hand man, or, well, woman. Obviously you'd be in charge if something were to happen to him!" Davey exclaimed. You turn your head away from him and then you see it. All of your fellow newsies are gathered around. Just waiting. Waiting for you. Waiting for you to boss them around.

     "Well, the first order of business should be to find Jack. Then, we get Crutchie out. Then we'll soak that damn Pulitzer!" The kids cheered.

                            ————————
     You found him with Miss Medda Larkin. You wanted to kiss him and slap him all at the same time. You went with the latter.

     "Hey, whaddya doin', (Y/N)?" He exclaimed in confusion anger. You punched his shoulder before responding.

    "That's for leaving me without a word. I had to take control of those little demons! All by myself, dammit!" You were pissed and he could tell.

    "There's no point in fighting anymore, (Y/N)! We already lost!"

    "Jack Kelly, how could you say that. Those kids are counting on us. On you. We're scaring those weasels. All we have to is hammer the final nail into the coffin!" He scoffed.

    The conversation continues like that for a while. Eventually Jack agreed to come back with you and help.

                               ———————

     The letter was everywhere. Eventually you and Jack were able to make a deal with Pulitzer. Everyone was celebrating. You'd never seen your friends look so happy. Jack was easily the happiest of everyone. The love you felt for him was excruciating.

     You were haunted by the fact that he'd be leaving for Santa Fe soon. You walked away from the crowd to clear your head. You sat down on your stoop as you listened to those kids hoot and holler.

    "Mind if I join you, ma'am?" You looked up to find Jack standing in front of you with a smirk on his face.

    "Well, if you must, I guess you can"

    "Oh, how generous of you!" You giggled as he bumped his shoulder against yours.

    "So, why aren't you over celebrating with the others? This is as much you as it is me," Jack asked you.

     "It's just strange knowing that everything will be changing soon. You'll be leaving. Davey and Les's dad is going back to work soon so they'll be leaving. I mean, I'm gonna have to make sure Crutchie and the others don't get themselves killed! That's a lot of responsibility!" You responded.

    "Well, I've been thinking. I think I may stick around a while," Jack looked at his shoes as you stared at him in confusion.

    "But isn't Santa Fe your dream?" You couldn't wrap your mind around why he'd stay in the place he's been dying to get out of forever.

    "I thought it was. But, there's one thing that Santa Fe has that I couldn't possibly live without,"

    "And what would that be?"

    "Take a guess," before you could give him your answer, Jack pressed his lips against yours. You heard the distant din of the Newsies hollering at the sight of their two leaders finally getting together. You had never planned on him. But damn, you were glad that he was here.