Prom Date ~ Gabe Goodman

You and your family had known the Goodman's for a long time. Your mom had gone to high school with Diana and they have been best friends since. So when Diana found out that she was going to have a boy and your mom found out she was having you, they did the obvious thing. They started planning your wedding. Sadly for them, you and Gabe kind of hated each other. Well, you hated him. He shamelessly flirted with you.

        It had been a while since Diana and your mother had seen each other so they arranged a shopping day together. Obviously they dragged the incipient spouses along with them.

       "Well hello there, (Y/N). You're looking stunning as usual." Gabe flirted as he got in the back next to you.

        "Ahhhhh, Gabe. As insufferable as usual." You retorted.

        "(Y/N)! Play nice." Your mother warned.

        "(Y/N), how's everything been for you lately?" Diana asked you.

        "Everything's good. How about you, Diana?" You replied while pushing Gabe away as he was leaning his face closer towards yours.

        "Oh, I'm doing fine, dear. Gabe here just became quarterback on the football team." Diana replied.

        "That's wonderful! Congrats Gabe!" Your mother exclaimed.

         When you reached the mall your mother informed you and Gabe that they'd be going off to Macy's and that you and Gabe should go to Kohl's.

           "That's fine with me." Gabe said smirking and receiving his mother's debit card.

             You panicked slightly at the thought of hanging out alone with Gabe Goodman.

              "Um, Mom, could I talk to you for a second?" You frantically asked.

               "What's wrong, dear?" Your mother asked you as you pulled her aside.

                "Mom, I don't know if I can can do this. I can hardly go shopping with you by my side without wanting to curl into a ball in the corner of the dressing room."

          "Honey, I know you don't like being surrounded by people, but your therapist says that it's good for you to spend time around other kids your age. Go hang out with Gabe. He's a nice boy." Your mom preached to you.

            "But-" you tried responding before being cut off.

             "No buts. Now take my debit and go with Gabe. Get a dress for prom or something. Be a teenager!"

              Grumbling, you walked to where Gabe was standing. He stuck out his arm for you, but you kept walking.

               You were relieved when as soon as you two walked through the doors to Kohl's Gabe split from your side and went to the boy's section. But, as Gabe Goodman does, right as you were starting to enjoy looking at the sweaters he popped up from behind the rack.

              "HI (Y/N)!" He yelled.

              "Why are you like this?" You asked.

              "Wait, you're already done?" You asked as you noticed the bag in his hands

              "Yep! Just needed some new jeans and a shirt. Now I'm free to watch your little fashion show! Your mom wanted you to pick out a prom dress, right?" He replied smugly.

              "She sure does. Sadly for her, I'm not going to prom, so why waste money on a stupid dress?" You responded while leafing through the rack of flannels in front of you.

                "What do you mean you're not going to prom?"

                 "I mean I'm not going. I'd rather be keeping my 4.0 average than getting drunk and hooking up with some stoner."

                 "It's your senior prom. You should go."

                 "I don't know if you noticed, Goodman, but I'm not exactly Elle Woods. I don't have friends or a boyfriend to go with. So why should I waste my time surrounded by drunk girls who's boyfriends broke up with them for their best friends and stoned dudes?"

                 "If it's being alone that you're worried about, then-" Gabe was interrupted by Regina Chandler and her group of cronies.

                 Gabe noticed how you instantly shrunk into a little shell in her presence.

                "Well if it isn't our new quarterback, Gabriel Goodman. Now what is the star of the football team doing with the social recluse that it (Y/N) (L/N)?" Regina said condescendingly.

               "Well it just so happens that (Y/N) here is my good friend. I came to help her pick out a dress for prom. Which I'm taking her to." Gabe replied to the queen bee while wrapping his arm around your shoulder.

                You glanced up at him confusedly. Normally you would push his arm off of you, but when you were having one of your moments it felt nice to have some physical contact. It reminded you that you were still there.

              "But, Gabe, the quarterback always goes with the head cheerleader to prom! It's tradition!" Jenna McNamara exclaimed, obviously scandalized.

              "Well, Jenna, traditions are like rules, they're meant to be broken. And I personally am going to be having fun breaking this tradition with this lovely girl on my arm."

              Regina and her posse stomped away as Gabe pulled his arm away from his "friend" and started looking at the prom dresses. As you  calmed down from your episode, you asked Gabe something that was nagging at your brain.

             "Why did you do that?" You asked him.

             "What? Stick up for you? Because you're my friend, that's why." He said pulling out a black dress and measuring it against himself.

              "All I've ever been to you is rude." You retorted.

              "That's just how you are. I get it. But that doesn't mean that we're not friends, whether you like it or not."

              You smiled lightly to yourself as Gabe handed you a purple dress, not considering how he knew your size.

            "And friends take each other to prom." He said while smiling at you.